U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:57 AM

3,063 posts, read 2,637,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Is she currently working? If you ask me, $14/hr is better than no job. Beggars can't be choosers.

If I need to work as a greeter at Wal-mart to pay my mortgage, then so be it.
No she is not working. She relocated here back in May, after being laid off from her previous position in Chicago. She has since been trying to find a position. Sure she could accept the $14 an hour job--however if you read what I wrote, the staffing agency said that the position wasn't open currently but that there was a chance it would be open within a month and told her to check back then. So that position isn't guarantee. Not to mention the $14 an hour job would not be high enough for her to live on her own. If you recall from my previous post, she has bills, student loans that she's still paying, amongst the costs for food, rent, etc. While the $14 an hour job would be fine if she had a roommate--she will not. I am moving, and while she has gotten to know a few of the people I've introduced her to, most of them are already married, or don't have room for a roommate. She would have to get a second job. And that brings me to my next point--is it worth it? For her to work two jobs, for who knows how long, just to stay in this city and live in a subpar location? Or is it in her best interest, to take what she has left of her savings, and if she has not found a suitable position by September, to relocate back to Chicago where she has a support system, and places to stay that will not require her to pay a lot of money(if any at all) in rent? Not to mention it would offset the need for her having to work 2 jobs. My point is that when you look at it that way, it doesn't make sense for her to stay here if her quality of life would actually not improve. She likes Philly a lot, but is nervous and has every reason to be(based on what I've described in my other posts about the job economy) that it would be quite a while before she got a long term position that pays her what she is qualified to receive.

I feel guilty in a way because though I spoke of the city negatively to her before she moved out here, the positive points that I did harp on are not turning out to be the case. I also didn't think that she would have to take the type of paycut she may have to take. All in all, I wouldn't have told her she could move in with me and stay here without finding a job first--not because she's a burden, but because I can tell she's feel depressed about the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:00 AM

7,447 posts, read 7,865,369 times
I'd hate for her to have to go hack to Chicago, if she wants Philly. But like you said ultimately that may be what she has to do. I guess she has until your lease is up this month?? to figure it out.

How much savings does she have left? Suppose she stays, and runs that out? THEN what. She may go back to Chicago anyway, and now with no money. And it's great that in Chicago she has a support system -- perhaps relatives or friends who could put her up for less, for a while. But even THEY would expect her to have SOME money. Even if not for rent. Perhaps for food, utilities, etc -- ESPECIALLY the LONGER she might stay with someone.

I'm in my 50s and have always needed security. So first of I was never going to move somewhere without a job. I don't care how much savings I had. ANd I certainly wouldn't do it these days. BUT -- I have always admired people who were brave enough to do it. (So I won't ask who's crazy enough to do that.)

I haven't read all the posts yet (about half). What is your friend's profession or career field?? Maybe people here have some ideas that can help with the job search. That's the main thing she needs -- A JOB. And fast. (she'll need three months rent to move into a place.) How much savings does she have left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia