U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:14 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,292,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
They are also there, on the barrier, randomly throughout the NJ Turnpike. Every 10 miles or so there is an Interstate (95) sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:28 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,167,919 times
I think for the most part for people traveling by the NJTP will stay as the main route. maybe holiday weekends 95 may save some time from the DE bridge

Honestly even after I think the NJTP to exit 4 and across the Betsy Ross bridge to 95 will be the fastest route if from NYC to Philly even with a few traffic lights on 73

Old 06-30-2016, 11:38 AM

3,521 posts, read 3,160,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think for the most part for people traveling by the NJTP will stay as the main route. maybe holiday weekends 95 may save some time from the DE bridge

Honestly even after I think the NJTP to exit 4 and across the Betsy Ross bridge to 95 will be the fastest route if from NYC to Philly even with a few traffic lights on 73
Really? I always found exit 3 and across the Walt Whitman to be the fastest route.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 AM

7,457 posts, read 7,874,862 times
Depends on WHERE in Philly you are. Philly (for the most part) runs north/south as a city If you live in far south Philly or SW the Walt Whitman is closer if you live in the NE it's the BR. If you're in Mount Airy…you ave to decide which way you're going to go…is it worth it to go up 309 and then east? DO you go out of your way for the Blue Route and then east on the PA turnpike?

As with any travel…which way to take…depends on where you start and where you're going. How's that for a "duh?"
(And whether you're rather have a slightly longer less stressful drive…or the straightest but more congested drive.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:37 AM

92 posts, read 55,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasNewsch View Post
What I would like to know is that when I-95 becomes continuous, will several "thru" travelers divert onto I-95 through PA or will they still use the NJ Turnpike? What are your thoughts?
I think majority stay on NJ Turnpike and will continue to do so. Google Maps shows it's the fastest path. When driving from NY to DC or vice versa, why cross into another state, PA, unnecessarily? And 95 from Philly to Delaware is windy and has local commuter traffic. Even when it doesn't and the road is open, it feels longer than just driving on NJTP.

If the idea is to promote Philly tourism with the Philly skyline being view-able, I'm not convinced that is significant to help Philly. I'd think people want to get to where the want to be and plan it out.

My opinion is that the full span of NJ Turnpike (including exit 1-6) should be I-95 to keep consistency and avoid confusion, and the current Philly-Wilmington part of I-95 should be given a new designation, like I-595 or something.

Many major eastern US cities aren't on I-95. Raleigh/RTP isn't and hasn't suffered. It's economically better off than Fayetteville, NC which is on I-95. Atlanta and Orlando aren't on I-95 either. They are bigger cities than Baltimore.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:27 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasNewsch View Post
What I would like to know is that when I-95 becomes continuous, will several "thru" travelers divert onto I-95 thru PA?
The masochists perhaps. And I guess those wanting to save on toll money.

Anyone that chooses to go thru the I-95 parking lot Wilmington-Delco-Phila-Trenton corridor instead of South Jersey Farmland needs their head examined.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:36 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell12 View Post

If the idea is to promote Philly tourism with the Philly skyline being view-able, I'm not convinced that is significant to help Philly. I'd think people want to get to where the want to be and plan it out.

Philly tourism? Have you driven 95 thru Chester and SW Philly? I dont think anyone is concerned about tourism. Its absolutely disgusting.

Delaware does such a great job keeping their highway infrastructure clean and modern. You travel thru Delaware on 95 and you think this is nice place to live. Travel 95 thru Delco and Philly and you think $h!*hole

I want to take a bath everytime I have to drive on 95 from the Claymont/Chichester line all the way to Trenton.

Whoever is responsible for keeping the highways in good shape along 95 in PA is doing an abysmal job.

Quote:
My opinion is that the full span of NJ Turnpike (including exit 1-6) should be I-95 to keep consistency and avoid confusion, and the current Philly-Wilmington part of I-95 should be given a new designation, like I-595 or something.
Nope. 95 stays thru Philly.

495 in NJ was the addition/bypass and shall remain properly noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or