U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 PM

74 posts, read 87,269 times

Advertisements

I'm sure all of you are aware that many people who travel along the BosWash corridor get off I-95 just south of Wilmington, DE, go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and onto the New Jersey Turnpike and vice-versa. This is because I-95 currently has a gap in its route. But in one to two years from now, I-95 will finally become continuous with the completion of the Bristol Interchange which will route I-95 on the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike. What I would like to know is that when I-95 becomes continuous, will several "thru" travelers divert onto I-95 through PA or will they still use the NJ Turnpike? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 PM

23,174 posts, read 28,597,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasNewsch View Post
I'm sure all of you are aware that many people who travel along the BosWash corridor get off I-95 just south of Wilmington, DE, go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and onto the New Jersey Turnpike and vice-versa. This is because I-95 currently has a gap in its route. But in one to two years from now, I-95 will finally become continuous with the completion of the Bristol Interchange which will route I-95 on the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike. What I would like to know is that when I-95 becomes continuous, will several "thru" travelers divert onto I-95 through PA or will they still use the NJ Turnpike? What are your thoughts?
If you're driving south to north on I 95 you leave I 95 & take 295 across the Delaware Memorial Bridge. You either go north on the NJTP or continue on 295. If you stay on I 95, you go through Philadelphia. The extension that connects the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike is in proximity to I 295 not I 95. I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 PM

74 posts, read 87,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If you're driving south to north on I 95 you leave I 95 & take 295 across the Delaware Memorial Bridge. You either go north on the NJTP or continue on 295. If you stay on I 95, you go through Philadelphia. The extension that connects the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike is in proximity to I 295 not I 95. I don't know what you're talking about.
An interchange is currently being built where I-95 and the PA Turnpike cross. As a result, I-95 will be rerouted onto the PA Turnpike over the PA Turnpike bridge and then onto the NJ Turnpike which will cause I-95 to become continuous. The current I-95 from the PA Turnpike to where is abruptly stops will become an extension of I-295. Here's a link for more info.

https://www.patpconstruction.com/paturnpikei95/

What I would like to know is that once that's complete, will people start to stay on 95 or will they still take the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the NJ Turnpike?

Old 06-30-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasNewsch View Post
An interchange is currently being built where I-95 and the PA Turnpike cross. As a result, I-95 will be rerouted onto the PA Turnpike over the PA Turnpike bridge and then onto the NJ Turnpike which will cause I-95 to become continuous. The current I-95 from the PA Turnpike to where is abruptly stops will become an extension of I-295. Here's a link for more info.

https://www.patpconstruction.com/paturnpikei95/

What I would like to know is that once that's complete, will people start to stay on 95 or will they still take the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the NJ Turnpike?
It will depend on where they're going, just like now. What makes you think that this makes I 95 continuous? The NJTP is not I 95.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,880,424 times
The OP is correct in that I-95 is "broken" between the two largest cities on the east coast, which I've always thought was dumb, and a detriment to Philly. The NJ Turnpike, (which IS 95 coming south from NYC), currently acts as a sort of a "Philadelphia bypass". You should be able to drive north on 95 from Philly and get to NYC without having to exit onto surface roads at any point, and vice versa. The interchange project is long overdue, and will finally fix this.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 AM

5,674 posts, read 10,248,929 times
I think if people are not planning on stopping in Philly, they'll continue to use the Delaware Memorial Bridge and NJ Turnpike to go to NY. If I'm traveling to Connecticut during the day, I'll usually take the Tappan Zee instead of dealing with the Cross Bronx - I think it will be the same thing when 95 connects to the turnpike in Bucks County.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The OP is correct in that I-95 is "broken" between the two largest cities on the east coast, which I've always thought was dumb, and a detriment to Philly. The NJ Turnpike, (which IS 95 coming south from NYC), currently acts as a sort of a "Philadelphia bypass". You should be able to drive north on 95 from Philly and get to NYC without having to exit onto surface roads at any point, and vice versa. The interchange project is long overdue, and will finally fix this.
Have you seen I 95 signs on the NJTP?

Old 06-30-2016, 06:19 AM

288 posts, read 162,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you seen I 95 signs on the NJTP?
You tell me....

https://goo.gl/maps/af1pgcuYtBq

Old 06-30-2016, 07:11 AM

236 posts, read 248,217 times
Since there's a gap, we can just demolish I95 through Center City. Hurray!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:09 AM

1,480 posts, read 947,000 times
The New Jersey Turnpike is I-95 from Exit 6 in Mansfield and northward. The gap was created, in part, when the Somerset Freeway was cancelled in New Jersey back in the 1980s. Through traffic from Washington DC and Baltimore are still going to use the D.M.B. and the Turnpike towards New York City. I still would myself...unless my business took me to Philadelphia or Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or