U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 AM

54 posts, read 58,726 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion on the future development of the 30th street station area into a major part of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:24 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,560,406 times
There are actually 3 separate plans for that general area.

One is UCitySquare at 36th and Market stretching back to Powelton, which is getting under way.

As for the 30th St plan and eventual entire Schuylkill Yards plan I love it and hope that at least some of it comes to fruition. I would love to see some large corporations supported by smaller startups flooding the area, as well as housing and a 2nd major shopping district in the city. I am also excited to see how this plan revitalizes Mantua and other bad neighborhoods around the zoo.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:22 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,289,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There are actually 3 separate plans for that general area.

One is UCitySquare at 36th and Market stretching back to Powelton, which is getting under way.

As for the 30th St plan and eventual entire Schuylkill Yards plan I love it and hope that at least some of it comes to fruition. I would love to see some large corporations supported by smaller startups flooding the area, as well as housing and a 2nd major shopping district in the city. I am also excited to see how this plan revitalizes Mantua and other bad neighborhoods around the zoo.
Yeah I am a little bit confused by this too.
I am under impression that there are two different development. But I cannot distinguish which one is which. If only there are a way somebody can show / compare the two so we know which one is which.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:53 PM

10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdiKony View Post
What is your opinion on the future development of the 30th street station area into a major part of the city?
It's been talked about in the "Philadelphia 2035... " thread .

Given the fact that Drexel has aleady(plus Penn) made the area a major part of the city, this project will make it even more so. I hope it happens.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Yeah I am a little bit confused by this too.
I am under impression that there are two different development. But I cannot distinguish which one is which. If only there are a way somebody can show / compare the two so we know which one is which.
The first one(as cpomp says) is already under way. It starts on 36th St, just north of Market St, and extends to 38th and Powelton Ave.

The grand 30th St Station plan is further east. Starts, I think, at 31st and Market(including JFK Blvd). And extends beyond the surface parking lots, on JFK Blvd(where folks board/deboard from the Bolt and Mega buses) further north over the existing Amtrak rail yard. It's incredible because the huge idea is to actually cover the rail yard with buildings and amenities including a new bus terminal and opening the old pedestrial tunnel under 30 th St to the Amtrak/Septa station.

There was a plan back in the 80s to develop/cover the rail yard. The time wasn't right for it then. Now the time is right and I hope at least some of it happens.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:44 AM

311 posts, read 233,394 times
Also, there's the Pennovation District.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:50 AM

92 posts, read 55,850 times
What about the actual building?

I went to 30th St. Station building last week. I went into the men's restroom on the main level, and it was quite filthy. I mean the place really needs to be gutted and re-developed as toilets had urine stains and a strong smell. The foodcourt area across also seems in need of renovation. I used to go to 30th St. Station quite often around 2002. The place seems unchanged, but in general, that isn't good as it's like revisiting a shopping mall that hasn't been changed since the '80s, but seems more worn out and dated.

And I'm not talking about architecture. In general, the inside feel of the entire station seems rundown, and it's quite a undesirable gateway for anyone visiting into Philadelphia, if that is the impression they will get. Granted any homeless person can walk into 30th street station, and it's incomparable to compare it to a secure area of a major airport that is generally well maintained, but it doesn't seem like a valid excuse for 30th Street to be such a dump, given that both handle high volume of traffic in and out.

Any PA Turnpike rest area restroom and common area, or large shopping mall, is much nicer and of course this is because many have been renovated, but that renovation is just as badly needed in this building.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell12 View Post
What about the actual building?

I went to 30th St. Station building last week. I went into the men's restroom on the main level, and it was quite filthy. I mean the place really needs to be gutted and re-developed as toilets had urine stains and a strong smell. The foodcourt area across also seems in need of renovation. I used to go to 30th St. Station quite often around 2002. The place seems unchanged, but in general, that isn't good as it's like revisiting a shopping mall that hasn't been changed since the '80s, but seems more worn out and dated.

And I'm not talking about architecture. In general, the inside feel of the entire station seems rundown, and it's quite a undesirable gateway for anyone visiting into Philadelphia, if that is the impression they will get. Granted any homeless person can walk into 30th street station, and it's incomparable to compare it to a secure area of a major airport that is generally well maintained, but it doesn't seem like a valid excuse for 30th Street to be such a dump, given that both handle high volume of traffic in and out.

Any PA Turnpike rest area restroom and common area, or large shopping mall, is much nicer and of course this is because many have been renovated, but that renovation is just as badly needed in this building.

Believe it or not it was renovated, to a certain extent, back in the 90s(I'm blanking on when exactly). The ceiling in the main gate area/waiting area was completedly redone. The front of the building, facing Market St, where the food court is, had been essentially abandoned and unused for years. Now, at least, it's being used. The garage, under the station, was built. Interestingly, to me anyhow, the best looking part of the station is where Septa's regional rail is and the connection/bridge to the Cira Center.

But, seriously, we have a federal government which refuses to get serious about helping to fund American passenger rail even though the NE corridor(30th St Station being the second(or third)busiest train station in the country) is the most profitable part of it. And who knows if the scaffolding,currently encasing the station, means any work will happen to the exterior? Congress would rather waste more tax payer dollars on another Brenghazi investigation.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:13 PM

6,224 posts, read 5,560,406 times
Actually the facade of the station is currently undergoing a total restoration, I don't know if interior renovations are scheduled of now..but new food retailers is also expected to be announced shortly.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 714 times
There is constant renovation of this building including the restrooms (current project) and your depiction of 30th as a dump seems a little harsh. It is really difficult to maintain a spotless environment to a building that serves as a crossroad for people traveling through the northeast ans also serves as a transit hub for septa. Certainly the addition of the Porch has been an improvement since what did you say ?2002? Any honest assessment of the station including the way it is laid out suggests a better situation simply by the level of people traveling through and hanging out around
the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or