U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2016, 02:46 PM
 
1,062 posts, read 2,486,689 times
Reputation: 582

Advertisements

When are you moving? HOpefully this summer if i get the offer
Where are you coming from? Edina MN
Why are you moving? New job possibly
Where will you be working? Plymouth meeting
Have you been here yet? Yes used to live in Lansdowne. Have family in Upper darby/lansdowne area.

Will you buy or rent? rent for now. Eventually buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? 3 bedroom. doesn't matter as long as it has plenty of space.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? either one.
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married. Stepchildren- 12, 10. Bio children- 4 and 2
Do you prefer public or private schools? If we can get financial aid or scholarships, private school is great. but if public is an option, I prefer a public school district with great reputation. Homework given, no robotic teachers that only worry about standardized testing. Also need affordable preschool and daycare.
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? Want yes, need no
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? neighborhood with other kids. Want to see kids playing outside

What do you want to be closest to? I want a decent commute between Plymouth Meeting and Upper darby. right in the middle. Close to shopping.
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Let's just say i dont wanna be the only African American when i go to the mall or target. I dont want to stick out like a sore thumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2016, 03:18 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,476 posts, read 10,242,105 times
Reputation: 4755
So is it safe to say you don't want to live anywhere like Edina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2016, 03:30 PM
 
1,062 posts, read 2,486,689 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
So is it safe to say you don't want to live anywhere like Edina?
lol. The only negative about Edina is the lack of diversity. other than that, i have no issues. I was near everything. Ymca across the street. Library, Mall, Target. I have everything at the palm of my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 10:06 AM
 
3,063 posts, read 2,638,684 times
Reputation: 3612
Hi,

I live in the Plymouth meeting/Blue Bell area. If your going to be working in Plymouth meeting, and you want diversity, I'd recommend staying in the Plymouth meeting or surrounding area. The neighboring areas(Norristown, Bluebell, and Mt. Airy) are unique in their own way, and would provide diversity just in your day-to-day rituals(store, mall, restaurants, and schools). For instance, Norriton is right next to Bluebell, and it is has a pretty large AA population. Norristown itself doesn't have the greatest reputation and the schools aren't good, however there are certain pockets that are nice, solid middle class, and housing is affordable. I'd recommend east Norriton township, or SOME West Norristown suburbs for houses/townhomes/condos(mainly the ones off of Germantown Pike) because they are very diverse, with a lot of AA's, and neighborhoods with kids. Just research the schools your kids would be zoned to and make decisions accordingly. My son goes to a private school in Norristown, with a very diverse student population(mostly AA's). I wouldn't recommend middle Norristown because of the crime, look, schools and overall vibe in the city. Plymouth meeting is also very diverse, and beautiful-it's just small, schools are decent in Plymouth meeting as well. Mt. Airy is about 15-20 minutes away from Plymouth meeting, and is very diverse, and beautiful. It offers you more access to the city. The issue however is that the schools are horrible. You'd have to send your kids to private school if you choose Mt. Airy. There is obviously a wide range of places you could choose between Plymouth meeting and Darby, but your best bet would be to stay close to Plymouth meeting. The traffic to the city is horrendous. In fact, beyond Conshy, or Mt. Airy, there are no other suburbs close enough to the city that wouldn't risk you being stuck in hours of traffic in the mornings and evenings. I'm black BTW. If you can afford private schools, I would choose Mt. Airy, or a nice neighborhood in East Norriton township, or West Norriton--since both have a decent black population. If you can't afford private schools, I would then choose KOP, Plymouth meeting/Bluebell, or Ambler for decent public schools, and some diversity, without a heavy commute. If you choose Norristown, you can PM me and I can send you the information about my son's school(it is affordable, though it's private).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 11:08 AM
 
1,062 posts, read 2,486,689 times
Reputation: 582
Which one would you say is the most affordable but safe area? Say 3 bedrooms and up for maybe 1700 max. Of course i prefer something even cheaper because I plan on putting 2 kids in preschool/daycare. So i want the best bang for your buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 11:11 AM
 
1,062 posts, read 2,486,689 times
Reputation: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Hi,

I live in the Plymouth meeting/Blue Bell area. If your going to be working in Plymouth meeting, and you want diversity, I'd recommend staying in the Plymouth meeting or surrounding area. The neighboring areas(Norristown, Bluebell, and Mt. Airy) are unique in their own way, and would provide diversity just in your day-to-day rituals(store, mall, restaurants, and schools). For instance, Norriton is right next to Bluebell, and it is has a pretty large AA population. Norristown itself doesn't have the greatest reputation and the schools aren't good, however there are certain pockets that are nice, solid middle class, and housing is affordable. I'd recommend east Norriton township, or SOME West Norristown suburbs for houses/townhomes/condos(mainly the ones off of Germantown Pike) because they are very diverse, with a lot of AA's, and neighborhoods with kids. Just research the schools your kids would be zoned to and make decisions accordingly. My son goes to a private school in Norristown, with a very diverse student population(mostly AA's). I wouldn't recommend middle Norristown because of the crime, look, schools and overall vibe in the city. Plymouth meeting is also very diverse, and beautiful-it's just small, schools are decent in Plymouth meeting as well. Mt. Airy is about 15-20 minutes away from Plymouth meeting, and is very diverse, and beautiful. It offers you more access to the city. The issue however is that the schools are horrible. You'd have to send your kids to private school if you choose Mt. Airy. There is obviously a wide range of places you could choose between Plymouth meeting and Darby, but your best bet would be to stay close to Plymouth meeting. The traffic to the city is horrendous. In fact, beyond Conshy, or Mt. Airy, there are no other suburbs close enough to the city that wouldn't risk you being stuck in hours of traffic in the mornings and evenings. I'm black BTW. If you can afford private schools, I would choose Mt. Airy, or a nice neighborhood in East Norriton township, or West Norriton--since both have a decent black population. If you can't afford private schools, I would then choose KOP, Plymouth meeting/Bluebell, or Ambler for decent public schools, and some diversity, without a heavy commute. If you choose Norristown, you can PM me and I can send you the information about my son's school(it is affordable, though it's private).

If you are aware of any town homes or houses for rent, please let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 11:20 AM
 
3,063 posts, read 2,638,684 times
Reputation: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Which one would you say is the most affordable but safe area? Say 3 bedrooms and up for maybe 1700 max. Of course i prefer something even cheaper because I plan on putting 2 kids in preschool/daycare. So i want the best bang for your buck.
Norristown would be your best bet... It has very affordable housing. Mt. Airy is more expensive than Norristown. Ambler might be an option. All the other places I mentioned before wouldn't be based on your concern for affordability and diversity. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment--not a townhome or home, but the amount I pay in rent is affordable to me(I live on the border of E norriton and Plymouth meeting). I know people who in certain pockets of Norristown are paying less than 1200 for a 2 bedroom. I'd say that you could probably find a nice safe three bedroom townhome for 1700 in Norristown, but not in the other places I mentioned before (KOP, Conshy, etc). I would say that you would want to stay along Germantown Pike in either direction(east or west norriton) to be in safe, decent areas, that are still somewhat affordable. Avoid Marshall street, Powell, Main street, and any housing in the center of Norristown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 AM
 
1,062 posts, read 2,486,689 times
Reputation: 582
Is there a difference in zip codes for the good and bad areas of Norristown? Looking at places now but i cant tell which area is middle Norristown and which is west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2016, 12:09 PM
 
3,063 posts, read 2,638,684 times
Reputation: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Is there a difference in zip codes for the good and bad areas of Norristown? Looking at places now but i cant tell which area is middle Norristown and which is west.
Unfortunately, no.. The best way to tell is by looking at the schools. If you see that all the school options are red, then you know that's a bad part of Norristown. If you see that at least two out of three of the schools are green, and good, then your in a decent part. They are in pockets--most are close to Germantown pike, or off Germantown pike. Some of the good pockets in west norriton are classified as Eaglesville, or Audubon, the ones in East Norriton can be hit or miss. I would say your going to have to come in to town, honestly, to see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
33,076 posts, read 61,908,019 times
Reputation: 55506
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Is there a difference in zip codes for the good and bad areas of Norristown? Looking at places now but i cant tell which area is middle Norristown and which is west.
You pretty much have to look at a map and look at each street individually. I live in Norristown's North End, which is reasonably diverse and solidly working class. Finding a three-bedroom row or twin home may not be easy; there are more owner-occupied homes in this area than not.

If you're looking in Norristown, the north, east and west sides of town are your best bet. Find the map of Norristown and concentrate your search on these three areas:

North of Wood Street, between Elmwood Park/Harding Boulevard, and New Hope Street;
West of Stanbridge Street, and north of Marshall Street;
A little pocket of houses in the East End - Cookie Lane, New Hope Street, Cedar Lane, Tremont Avenue.

I have no idea what rents go for, but I do know there are some unscrupulous slumlords in Norristown. They're generally not active in these areas, but I thought I'd put that caveat out for you.

Plymouth Township also may have some affordable rentals for you; there are subdivisions full of modest little three-bedroom houses off Germantown Pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top