Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 9,538 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to the Philly area soon and I can't figure out Wynecote. The historical homes there are so cool, very inexpensive compared to other areas with a significant lot of historical homes (Narberth, Wynwood, Chestnut Hill etc). Many sites tote the great schools of this area, which, considering the average home taxes being around 12k-14k, it seems like they would be the best or at least ranked better than an 8. From the school stats it seems to be a very diverse mix of students but when you look at the data for the area itself it's primarily white older people.

My spouse will be commuting into center city, we've got two kids under the age of four and would like an easy commute to the city, a cool house with character that's got some peace and privacy, but also like our "granola" therefore access to health food stores, farmers markets, outdoor activities are very important. Also, we'd like to be in an area that has more young kids than WWII vets (I mean no offense, thank you for your service). The areas just off the main line seem great but a little cramped and expensive. Please let me know if you have any suggestions that keep a commute a half hour or less into the city. Also... Anyone know if you can have chickens in Wyncote?
Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 09:26 AM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
My ex had cousins who lived in Wyncote. It was a very nice house with character on a quiet street. And believe it or not their neighbors were raising chickens. They actually invited us over to see the babies hatch, no joke! But it is definitely not a rural area by any stretch. Not sure why it would be cheaper than places like Narberth. Isn't Chestnut Hill part of Philly though?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
I don't know about chickens, but part of the reason prices seem lower in Wyncote is the real estate taxes compared to surrounding areas. Jenkintown is also high, but Abington and Philly are much lower. You also want to check on problems with flooding in the area, as some lower priced homes might be in low lying areas.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:31 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
My ex had cousins who lived in Wyncote. It was a very nice house with character on a quiet street. And believe it or not their neighbors were raising chickens. They actually invited us over to see the babies hatch, no joke! But it is definitely not a rural area by any stretch. Not sure why it would be cheaper than places like Narberth. Isn't Chestnut Hill part of Philly though?
Yes, Chestnut Hill is in Philadelphia.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:36 PM

I'd love to know if there are young families or professionals making their way up in that area. Or that side of Philly burbs vs the main line area. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:52 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
High taxes and less desirable (but by no means bad) school district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecdeluca View Post
I'd love to know if there are young families or professionals making their way up in that area. Or that side of Philly burbs vs the main line area. Thanks!
What do you mean by "making their way up?"

Old 06-29-2016, 06:36 PM

I mean literally making their way up from the city.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecdeluca View Post
I mean literally making their way up from the city.
If you mean migration from adjacent city neighborhoods, there's more people moving from Cedarbrook and Oak Lane to Cheltenham these days than Wynnefield and Overbrook to Lower Merion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia