Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
PWT and ghetto thugs, Wildwood...but don't miss out on Wildwood's boardwalk...its great but better on a Sunday or weeknight than Saturday or Friday when all the riff raff are out...
I wouldn't stay right in Wildwood with kids....but Wildwood Crest is very family friendly, while still being close enough to go to the boardwalk. We used to go to Ocean City, but found the Crest to be a more affordable spot that is also good for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Yep, read the book, Close to Shore. It's about the worst Great White attacks in US history that occured during the Edwardian period along the Jersey shore - the inspiration for Jaws. One victim was a West Philadelphian whose father was a physician at the nearby hospital. Their Victorian house is still there today on Spruce Street.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
Ocean City, NJ is easily the #1 beach choice. After that you get Wildwood, Stone Harbor, Avalon, SIC.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:44 AM

7 posts, read 31,275 times
All the Jersey beaches are fairly nice. The main destination for High school seniors and the such is Wildwood. The more affluent are going to Avalon and Sea Isle. Ocean City is a good stop between the two. Don't go into Stone Harbor with a Chevy, you won't "fit in".

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM

29 posts, read 78,697 times
Yes, and yes. Of course "the shore" is a destination for Philly folks. Cape May is nice, but they are others.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 37,922 times
the jersey shore have some great beaches. i grew up spending my summers in wildwood. i would not recommend staying in the "heart of wildwood" (near the middle of the boardwalk) but in the crest or north wildwood is safe enough. when i was younger i was not allowed to go on the boardwalk during the holidays as it was not safe for kids. but i hear they are trying to clean up their image so maybe it is better now. i also like ocean city which is family friendly. they are a dry town so no alcohol is sold their. that keeps the rowdy kids in wildwood. i also like ventnor and margate. they are more laid back but a short drive to ocean city or atlantic city! the northern beaches of jersey, i feel, are nicer. i like LBI (very family oriented) and manasquan (has the most california beachy feel). i just moved to south carolina and have been disappointed with their beaches only b/c they do not compare to the jersey beaches. in jersey there is something to suit everyones tastes.

Last edited by Lookin2MoveSoon; 03-02-2008 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: bc i cant spell

Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 PM

403 posts, read 935,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin2MoveSoon View Post
i just moved to south carolina and have been disappointed with their beaches only b/c they do not compare to the jersey beaches. in jersey there is something to suit everyones tastes.
I completely agree!! I just moved to Charleston and we visited Folly Beach last weekend. We were so disappointed. Not too much going on although the beach itself was beautiful. I miss the Jersey shore so much. Maybe Myrtle Beach will be more of what we are used to??

My family had a beach house in Wildwood Crest when we were growing up. It was the best experience to be able to live at the shore each summer. I worked as a hotel maid, waitress, sold candy on the boards. It was always fun. I visited Wildwood for the first time last summer and it just does not seem the same. So many new condos but it still had a run down feel to it.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Yes, the Jersey shore is definitely our beach, just count the PA plates and Eagles memorabilia. As far as where to go, Ocean City for the typical seaside town and boardwalk. Stone Harbor's nice and full of families, but more expensive.

However, my ultimate favorite is definitely Cape May. A quaint Victorian town with good restaurants, shops, beautiful beaches (the one by the lighthouse is free - no beach tags needed), one of the few places on the East Coast to see the sun set over the water, etc.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM

691 posts, read 3,059,709 times
Long Beach Island is pretty much the dividing point between the North Jersey Shore and the South Jersey Shore.

People from the Philly Area usually go to beaches south of LBI while North Jersey and NYC people go to beaches north of LBI. LBI itself is a mixture of both metros.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:29 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
Ever since moving to PA back in 2002, we have been vactioning with our young kids in Ocean City, NJ. We just figured since it was close, it would be a good choice.

No more though - I am just so tired of paying $3,500 for one week in NJ. The beach is nice, but I am a Long Island girl, so I am still bias. As for the boardwalk - I hate everything about it, just not my scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia