U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 04:54 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times

Advertisements

SEPTA is freaking FINALLY adding more bus service starting 9/6 - SEPTA | Regional Rail Interim Weekday Service

I have really been screwed by all of this. I tried taking the 62 bus to work and the train home, but the 62 was even more unreliable than the train and would frequently be 20-30 min late. My 7:03 train is never on time and is usually at least 10-15min late. Which that time actually works for me because it more lines up with my previous commute, but of course they won't change the times on the schedule so I'm still forced to get up earlier just in case the train is ever on time.

Definitely will be trying out this new bus service once it starts. If it's better than the 62, then I'll do this bus to work and the train home.

Oh and remember when SEPTA said they would start rolling in 10 cars each week starting end of August? Of course that never happened. There is NO way service will be restored by November. I'll be shocked if it even happens in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:20 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
SEPTA is freaking FINALLY adding more bus service starting 9/6 - SEPTA | Regional Rail Interim Weekday Service

I have really been screwed by all of this. I tried taking the 62 bus to work and the train home, but the 62 was even more unreliable than the train and would frequently be 20-30 min late. My 7:03 train is never on time and is usually at least 10-15min late. Which that time actually works for me because it more lines up with my previous commute, but of course they won't change the times on the schedule so I'm still forced to get up earlier just in case the train is ever on time.

Definitely will be trying out this new bus service once it starts. If it's better than the 62, then I'll do this bus to work and the train home.

Oh and remember when SEPTA said they would start rolling in 10 cars each week starting end of August? Of course that never happened. There is NO way service will be restored by November. I'll be shocked if it even happens in 2016.
Of course there is no explanation about why they waited this long to have bus shuttles.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Of course there is no explanation about why they waited this long to have bus shuttles.
Right?? They're only saying they're adding the shuttles because end of vacation and start of school. Um what about the past 2 months??

Old 08-26-2016, 08:39 AM

288 posts, read 161,897 times
Maybe this was addressed earlier in the thread, but how feasible is biking in from Manayunk down the SRT? I have biked from the entrance at 24th and Locust to Couch Tomato (which is awesome!) within 45 minutes, and this was after work to get dinner where the trail was PACKED. I don't know where in CC you work, so it might not be feasible, but I am just curious.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
Maybe this was addressed earlier in the thread, but how feasible is biking in from Manayunk down the SRT? I have biked from the entrance at 24th and Locust to Couch Tomato (which is awesome!) within 45 minutes, and this was after work to get dinner where the trail was PACKED. I don't know where in CC you work, so it might not be feasible, but I am just curious.
I looked into this option and I don't think it would work because then I'd have to get a gym membership to be able to shower before coming into the office. One girl told me she doesn't need to shower, just does wipes but a former coworker that did this route said absolutely need to shower (especially with how horribly gross this summer has been). I work by City Hall so yeah, def around a 45min ride which is longer than the train or bus. I still *want* to take the train, it's just that the timetables are terrible and I'm left with very few alternate feasible options to get me back on my normal schedule.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:51 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
I used to run along Kelly Drive when I was in college in the early 70s. "Sparse" would be the word to describe the # of runners, cyclists, etc. Even after being back in Philly for 8 years, I'm still amazed at the number of people I see along the river - great to see it being used, but yes, ugh, you've got to navigate your way along the trail. Can't daydream & move at the same time!
That aside: I didn't look at earlier posts either, but would say if you want to bike and also want to avoid crowds, use MLK/West River Drive. It's always way less populated and would add maybe 1/4 mile or so to your trip.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:

The express rail shuttle bus is probably still going to take the Schuylkill, so don't hold great hopes.

The Chestnut Hill West and East shuttle buses are kind of dumb. They are scheduled to take 30 minutes to get from CHE and West station respectively into Fern Rock - which is essentially the same length of time the L Bus and 23 Bus takes to get to Erie and Olney respectively. Maybe they are just padding the schedule on that one though. Plus they don't run very often - every 40 minutes as opposed to every 4/7 minutes on the L and 23. Plus they don't even stop at some of the most heavily used stations - Carpenter, Stenton, Queen Lane. Sedgwick, one of the stations I use, is one of the few "chosen" stations and is particularly funny because it is so lightly used and so easily accessible already to the H and 23.

My uneducated guess is that something similar could be stated for the Fox Chase Line and the Glenside combine.

Advertise the transit that exists to all these places via the BSL - the L, 23, H, XH, 18, 55, 22, etc., and beef that up if you have to seems like it might make more sense than creating a 3rd probably unreliable way to get home on top of the unreliable regional rail.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The express rail shuttle bus is probably still going to take the Schuylkill, so don't hold great hopes.
It's actually (surprisingly) not 76 that's the problem! The issue with the 62 is that it originates all the way up in Roxborough and traffic to Manayunk is horrific. It frequently gets stuck for long periods at Umbria/Leaverington and Main/Green. I saw it on the app sitting in the same spot in these general areas for over 15min. The new express bus originates at Ivy Ridge so I'm hopeful that this will be a better option for me. Yeah it still goes the same route as the 62 but doesn't have all the backup starting from Rxboro. In any case, I'm going to give it a try once they start this service and see how it is

Old 08-26-2016, 06:35 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
It's actually (surprisingly) not 76 that's the problem! The issue with the 62 is that it originates all the way up in Roxborough and traffic to Manayunk is horrific. It frequently gets stuck for long periods at Umbria/Leaverington and Main/Green. I saw it on the app sitting in the same spot in these general areas for over 15min. The new express bus originates at Ivy Ridge so I'm hopeful that this will be a better option for me. Yeah it still goes the same route as the 62 but doesn't have all the backup starting from Rxboro. In any case, I'm going to give it a try once they start this service and see how it is
Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that. I'll be interesting to see how this all works out.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:55 AM

Latest update - http://6abc.com/travel/septa-begins-...-cars/1494135/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or