U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2016, 10:04 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Pennsylvania needs a version of New York's Taylor Law, which basically makes it illegal for transit workers to strike. Back during the 2005 New York City strike, the Union boss actually went to jail for a few days because he led the strike.
That always gets suggested and nothing has ever come of it. It won't this time either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2016, 11:12 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Reputation: 4755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
An injunction was put in place to prevent it again.

My concern is , if it goes on, how it might affect voter turn out next Tuesday.
Equitable relief is part of the puzzle, but there are damages, too.

And I'm also concerned by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 PM
 
7,844 posts, read 14,707,294 times
Reputation: 5518
When I lived in Madrid in 2013, at the height of the recession, the Madrid Metro workers went on strike at least twice. Both times, they still kept the subways running, but they came less often. Morning rush hour had trains coming every 1-2 minutes, but during strikes, this lowered to trains coming every 3-5 minutes. And yes, that did make a huge difference.

Question is, though, does anyone know why Metro Madrid would have agreed to allow some trains to run, though less often? Meanwhile, SEPTA has shut down completely. To me, the way Madrid did it seems as though the workers are more willing to compromise and will not be as disparaged by the public complaining about not being able to get to school and work. Completely shutting down the entire system could possibly cause more serious backlash IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,244 posts, read 799,046 times
Reputation: 736
There are several types of industrial actions. A few examples are work stoppage, one day strike or go-slow/slowdown. The one you referred to in Madrid sounds like a go-slow. The type of industrial action will depend on the labor laws and the demands of the workers.

In London, I was accustomed to the one day strikes. They are common in the UK, especially with striking tube (subway) workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
When I lived in Madrid in 2013, at the height of the recession, the Madrid Metro workers went on strike at least twice. Both times, they still kept the subways running, but they came less often. Morning rush hour had trains coming every 1-2 minutes, but during strikes, this lowered to trains coming every 3-5 minutes. And yes, that did make a huge difference.

Question is, though, does anyone know why Metro Madrid would have agreed to allow some trains to run, though less often? Meanwhile, SEPTA has shut down completely. To me, the way Madrid did it seems as though the workers are more willing to compromise and will not be as disparaged by the public complaining about not being able to get to school and work. Completely shutting down the entire system could possibly cause more serious backlash IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2016, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Reputation: 3400
Whoa so SEPTA filed a lawsuit against TWU to end the strike - http://6abc.com/traffic/septa-files-...trike/1577465/

This is some serious business. All the updates I've seen is that no progress has been made even though SEPTA agreed to lift the pension cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 07:51 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Whoa so SEPTA filed a lawsuit against TWU to end the strike - http://6abc.com/traffic/septa-files-...trike/1577465/

This is some serious business. All the updates I've seen is that no progress has been made even though SEPTA agreed to lift the pension cap.
The impact the strike could have on the election turnout is important which is probably why the suit was filed. The 2009 general election occurred during the last strike but the 2009 election wasn't nearly as important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The impact the strike could have on the election turnout is important which is probably why the suit was filed. The 2009 general election occurred during the last strike but the 2009 election wasn't nearly as important.
I wonder what will happen if this goes on past the election. I know TWU is using that for leverage but if they get past that, they don't have any other chip to use. Latest update as of this morning is that a judge denied the injunction, but apparently there will be a hearing on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 08:04 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I wonder what will happen if this goes on past the election. I know TWU is using that for leverage but if they get past that, they don't have any other chip to use. Latest update as of this morning is that a judge denied the injunction, but apparently there will be a hearing on Monday.
What has happened in other strikes is that the longer it goes on the more people will stick to alternatives once the strike is over.
They will lose ridership and money(septa and the workers).No one wins in the end no matter what the union says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2016, 08:48 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I wonder what will happen if this goes on past the election. I know TWU is using that for leverage but if they get past that, they don't have any other chip to use. Latest update as of this morning is that a judge denied the injunction, but apparently there will be a hearing on Monday.
Although as you know city polling stations are, generally, close to where people live, the problem the strike could cause surrounds folks having to leave for work before polls open at 7am and getting home after they close at 8pm. Ugh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top