U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 PM

363 posts, read 276,118 times

Advertisements

First and foremost , I am glad SEPTA caught the issue before anything happened. They did right of course. At the sametime people are acting like they had extra equipment to run. I'm sure it is a hassle on everyone who commutes on the railroad. They are doing the best they can do with. They are in talks with NJTRANSIT to see a possible leasing agreement, which would help...technically their equipment is able to work with ours....except the issue of the engineers trained and permitted into the the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:00 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
If you check out SEPTA train view right now...pretty late into the evening, past rush hour, of the first day of this experiment, it's pretty whacked. A bunch of trains 30-60+. It's going to be an interesting summer.

If they manage to figure this out a little bit I'd be willing to go back to the regional rail. The scheduled train times and arrivals aren't that much different. But some things are way out of whack. For example, with the regular M-F train schedule there would have been 3 Chestnut Hill East Trains and 2 (+1 borderline) Chestnut Hill Wests train arriving in Center City before 8 AM. Right now we're down to one Chestnut Hill East that gets to suburban at 6.55. There's also a CHE that gets to Suburban at 7.55 and a CHW that gets to Suburban at 7:59 - all guaranteed to be late at this point. So you're basically turning 5 or 6 trains of people into one possible train.

A lot of people also seem to use the regional rail to get to the Penn Hospital Complex at U City Station - something which I assume is completely shot for those who started at 7. There's no earlier train on the supposedly "enhanced" CHE like they said there was, and there certainly isn't on the CHW.

On the brighter side, SEPTA may tweak these schedules based on their experiences with them. And the SV 5's probably aren't going to all come back at one time, which means that things could gradually get better as they add trains back into service, even if it's not completely back to normal till later in the year.
It's totally ridiculous. All the "extra" trains they were supposedly running were canceled. The Paoli line got especially screwed up. Manayunk line only has 2 trains before 8am - one at 6:03 and one at 7:03. Crazy to me that they don't shift more to that time.

Looks like they didn't modify the schedules like they said during yesterday's press conference. I'll be taking the 62 again and just hoping 76 isn't horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I am one of the fortunate one who reverse-commute from the city to the burb to work.
And I did not work today. So I will see what happens tomorrow.
I feel bad for those people who are catching the train back to the burb. So as I understand, there will only be one train back to Lansdale/Doylestown per hour. How can they fit all those people?
Anybody care to share their experience today?
Scroll back, I posted my experience as did FBRC.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Took the 62 in again today and paid attention to the timing this time. Shows up 10 minutes late and it was 35min from when I got on the bus to when I got off. Plan on doing the 62 home tonight and will see how that goes. Tomorrow, I'm planning on catching the 7:03am out of Manayunk - I checked the status this morning and it seemed to be running on time. There's a 4:30pm out of Suburban so if this works out, I'll shift my work schedule 7:30-4:30. Seeing how it's going today though and the trains are still consistently at least 30min late so even if I go to catch the 4:30, I'll likely be stuck waiting for a half hour again. The only other train option in the morning is 6:03am and there is absolutely no way I can shift my schedule that much.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 AM

33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
The only "enhancement" in the Manayunk/Norristown line inbound is to add two trains between 7:40 and 8:40 a.m., both of them not in service until Miquon which does me no good but it makes sense. Apparently a lot of people out this way are making other arrangements, because the parking lots for both the Main Street and Elm Street stations in Norristown were only half full at 9:30 a.m. today. I'll see tomorrow how the ride goes on the high speed trolley/MFL.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:43 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Took the 62 in again today and paid attention to the timing this time. Shows up 10 minutes late and it was 35min from when I got on the bus to when I got off. Plan on doing the 62 home tonight and will see how that goes. Tomorrow, I'm planning on catching the 7:03am out of Manayunk - I checked the status this morning and it seemed to be running on time. There's a 4:30pm out of Suburban so if this works out, I'll shift my work schedule 7:30-4:30. Seeing how it's going today though and the trains are still consistently at least 30min late so even if I go to catch the 4:30, I'll likely be stuck waiting for a half hour again. The only other train option in the morning is 6:03am and there is absolutely no way I can shift my schedule that much.
Might be unreasonable but have you checked out times on the CHW line? Maybe you could drive to Queen Lane Station right up Midvale, which has parking.

Of course all this is happening with the Walnut Lane Bridge still out and parts of Lincoln Drive slated to close soon . Septa did what they had to do though-there just needs to be quicker/better remedies.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The only "enhancement" in the Manayunk/Norristown line inbound is to add two trains between 7:40 and 8:40 a.m., both of them not in service until Miquon which does me no good but it makes sense. Apparently a lot of people out this way are making other arrangements, because the parking lots for both the Main Street and Elm Street stations in Norristown were only half full at 9:30 a.m. today. I'll see tomorrow how the ride goes on the high speed trolley/MFL.
See I don't see the point in those 2 trains - those are the ones I keep getting notifications for that express because they're overcrowded. The later trains you take, the more likely they will be delayed and overcrowded so I feel like if anything they should have more trains prior to 8am. I'm hoping my 7:30-4:30 schedule will work but if not, I'm pretty much just screwed with taking the bus

Old 07-06-2016, 12:07 PM

33,068 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Quote:
See I don't see the point in those 2 trains - those are the ones I keep getting notifications for that express because they're overcrowded. The later trains you take, the more likely they will be delayed and overcrowded so I feel like if anything they should have more trains prior to 8am. I'm hoping my 7:30-4:30 schedule will work but if not, I'm pretty much just screwed with taking the bus
I think the point for those two trains being put into service at Miquon is to give riders from that point on a better chance of getting on the train. I'm always amazed at how many people get on at Conshohocken and Spring Mill. I'd try one of those two trains - there are only two stops between Miquon and Manayunk, so you should be able to get on.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Might be unreasonable but have you checked out times on the CHW line? Maybe you could drive to Queen Lane Station right up Midvale, which has parking.

Of course all this is happening with the Walnut Lane Bridge still out and parts of Lincoln Drive slated to close soon . Septa did what they had to do though-there just needs to be quicker/better remedies.
Unfortunately there's only one train time on CHW that would work for me and it wouldn't be getting me in any earlier than I'm trying to already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I think the point for those two trains being put into service at Miquon is to give riders from that point on a better chance of getting on the train. I'm always amazed at how many people get on at Conshohocken and Spring Mill. I'd try one of those two trains - there are only two stops between Miquon and Manayunk, so you should be able to get on.
If I catch one of those trains, I get into work later and that means I have to stay later. The later the trains on the way back, the more delayed/crowded they are (or canceled altogether). I'm banking on the earlier is better thought right now lol.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:34 PM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
lol sounds like great communication between the transit agencies. I saw the posts on Twitter where Amtrak was saying they don't honor SEPTA fares.
I feel your pain! You've never been thru a strike, l guess.

Past septa strikes permanently changed my commuting habits.

But that proved to be fine because I'm a natural early morning person and I had a flex time schedule.

I could arrive way early and leave early.

But for folks who don' t have that option this stinks!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I feel your pain! You've never been thru a strike, l guess.

Past septa strikes permanently changed my commuting habits.

But that proved to be fine because I'm a natural early morning person and I had a flex time schedule.

I could arrive way early and leave early.

But for folks who don' t have that option this stinks!
The only strike I've been through is the one that was like a year or so ago and lasted a single weekend day lol. I would much prefer to go in earlier than later because my entire day will be lost if I do later based on how delayed the evening trains are already. The status updates last night were crazy and I'd be stuck not knowing if I could even get home. 6:03am is a little *too* early for me, so hopefully the 7:03am pans out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or