U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
It's a good thing I decided to do the train today because my coworker said the 62 bus just never showed up! My 7:03am train ended up getting me to Suburban about 10min late. The 4:31pm out of Suburban got in exactly on time! So think I will be doing this slight schedule shift for the time being. As much as I don't like getting up earlier, I do like being able to leave earlier! The train this morning was packed and I got the last seat - standing room only after that. The next train expressed after Ivy Ridge due to overcrowding. Train this afternoon was half empty. Will be interested to see if/how this changes next week.
I totally lmao when said you now like being able to leave a little earlier. That's exactly what I started to love all because of past septa strikes when I made big adjustment to my 'in the office' times. Eventually I was able to miss traditional rush hours altogether. Fabulous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 06:31 AM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20. They won't admit it but they should have accepted Kawasaki's bid. A proven manufacturer for septa.
Yeah, you make the best decisions based on what you know and the circumstances. With the budget restrictions, it may have been a tough decision. But you get what you pay for. I just hope this doesn't set SEPTA back too far budget-wise. They were lining up a nice roadmap of improvements and maintenance.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:05 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I totally lmao when said you now like being able to leave a little earlier. That's exactly what I started to love all because of past septa strikes when I made big adjustment to my 'in the office' times. Eventually I was able to miss traditional rush hours altogether. Fabulous!
It's going to take some getting used to. I mean, it's only a half hour early but still I've been super tired the 2 days I've been doing it lol. Hopefully after next week I'll be in the swing of things with this new schedule.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:33 PM

Oh this is lovely

SEPTA: Repairs May Not Be Possible | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Old 07-08-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
It's going to take some getting used to. I mean, it's only a half hour early but still I've been super tired the 2 days I've been doing it lol. Hopefully after next week I'll be in the swing of things with this new schedule.
Becca, you gotta stop all that Manayunk evening partying! Just kidding... Lol

Seriously this mess is going to ruin the ridership gains septa has made. Sigh...

Old 07-08-2016, 02:31 PM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Not one bit surprising. From an engineering perspective, this is a disaster. If it's not a material-related issue (aka wrong metal or low quality metal), it may be a design issue (aka weight cannot be tolerated at the dimensions/build). If that's the case, bad design may not be fixable.

I believe SEPTA will figure out something to tide people over (borrow train cars?), but the budget impacts, lawsuits, etc. will be terrible.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:22 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
I wonder if the "repairs aren't possible" is their way of getting rid of these Hyundai Rotem trains that no one really likes (that SEPTA's board wanted anyway). If they can recoup the lost $ and buy trains from someone else with a trusted reputation, such as Kawasaki (who provided SEPTA with the NHSL cars), maybe that's the best thing.

Having this new mess gives them a good excuse to push off much-needed restoration of service for another 4-5 years, which must make SEPTA's very anti-expansion Board happy.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I wonder if the "repairs aren't possible" is their way of getting rid of these Hyundai Rotem trains that no one really likes (that SEPTA's board wanted anyway). If they can recoup the lost $ and buy trains from someone else with a trusted reputation, such as Kawasaki (who provided SEPTA with the NHSL cars), maybe that's the best thing.

Having this new mess gives them a good excuse to push off much-needed restoration of service for another 4-5 years, which must make SEPTA's very anti-expansion Board happy.
I don't think Kawasaki made the NHSL cars(which are about 20 years old) but they did make the BSL and subway surface trolleys.

Didn't Kawasaki bid on the trains twice?

Old 07-09-2016, 02:27 AM

363 posts, read 276,118 times
From my understanding and transit friends i was interacting with....the trucks will have to be replaced.

Kawasaki did bid the build the Silverliner V's ,i think they originally won. SEPTA last minute changed the specs of the contract and some other engineering along with FRA compliant rules, politics was apart of the contracts sadly, which i also think screwed SEPTA in a way also. SEPTA Changed the request for proposal and Kawasaki's price tag increased by $20+ Million dollars and they received the highest rating across the board, but back to the FRA Rule SEPTA i believe had to choose the lowest bidder, and ROTEM was not the highest, but GOOD ENOUGH. Kawasaki sued SEPTA, and currently i don't think Kawasaki will build anything for SEPTA ever.

Rotem at one point in time i think after the SEPTA order wanted out of the US Market, they built for MBTA, CalTrain or someone else they have been having problems. I think they also want the next contract for the SEPTA MULTI-LEVEL ORDER.
I feel like in the back of my head SEPTA is giving a side eye.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Not one bit surprising. From an engineering perspective, this is a disaster. If it's not a material-related issue (aka wrong metal or low quality metal), it may be a design issue (aka weight cannot be tolerated at the dimensions/build). If that's the case, bad design may not be fixable.

I believe SEPTA will figure out something to tide people over (borrow train cars?), but the budget impacts, lawsuits, etc. will be terrible.
They're leasing cars from Amtrak, NJ, and MD - but it only amounts to THREE trains so I really don't see that making much of an impact on the situation as a whole. Overall, the Silverliner V's amounted to 13,000 seats and these 3 trains are only giving back 1,700 seats. Definitely not enough to make a dent. Will be interested to see what lines they will put these cars on - I've heard Trenton and Thorndale. Although Thorndale has been screwed the past few days - fire a few days ago shut the line down and then yesterday a suicide shut it down again.

They will be coming out with another new schedule tomorrow to be in effect on Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or