U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 09:33 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Was running late yesterday and missed my usual train, so planned on taking the one that comes an hour later. That one still ends up expressing from Ivy Ridge because it's filled, so it bypassed my station. Of course SEPTA didn't announce that it was bypassing Manayunk until after it already bypassed. The train that followed about 10 minutes later was completely and totally empty though.

My 7am train this morning was a car short so we couldn't let anyone else on past Manayunk.

I sure hope they return the Silverliners to service sooner rather than later. I know they had a target of Labor Day but really no one knows.
I'd be totally shocked if they can keep the Labor Day target. From things I've read it sounds like they are struggling concerning a timely resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'd be totally shocked if they can keep the Labor Day target. From things I've read it sounds like they are struggling concerning a timely resolution.
It seems they identified the issue (HR is blaming a subcontractor for bad welding) but there hasn't been any actual proposed fix. The commutes will get worse as summer winds down and there are more passengers. It sucks for the people that can't even get on a train because it's full, with these schedules they're stuck waiting an hour for the next one to come. On my train this morning, a few people tried to cram into the vestibules but they got kicked off.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It seems they identified the issue (HR is blaming a subcontractor for bad welding) but there hasn't been any actual proposed fix. The commutes will get worse as summer winds down and there are more passengers. It sucks for the people that can't even get on a train because it's full, with these schedules they're stuck waiting an hour for the next one to come. On my train this morning, a few people tried to cram into the vestibules but they got kicked off.
I'm really not understanding why Septa seems to not be having any kind of shuttle bus service at all. At least wrt to train stations, like yours, which are close to CC. Folks should have that option.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I'm really not understanding why Septa seems to not be having any kind of shuttle bus service at all. At least wrt to train stations, like yours, which are close to CC. Folks should have that option.
I KNOW!!! You would think they would AT LEAST add more bus service?? Pretty much my only option for bus is the 62 and that only runs a handful of times during rush hour. The 61 would take me close to an hour to get to work. SEPTA is just telling people "take other modes of transit" but what if you don't have that option? As someone that used to be hugely car-dependent and is not hugely NON car-dependent, this entire thing has just thrown me for a loop. When I talk to friends not from this area, they're like ok so why don't you just drive? The parking costs in CC alone makes that not even a plausible option. And then the thought of being stuck in traffic with everyone else, no thank you lol.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I KNOW!!! You would think they would AT LEAST add more bus service?? Pretty much my only option for bus is the 62 and that only runs a handful of times during rush hour. The 61 would take me close to an hour to get to work. SEPTA is just telling people "take other modes of transit" but what if you don't have that option? As someone that used to be hugely car-dependent and is not hugely NON car-dependent, this entire thing has just thrown me for a loop. When I talk to friends not from this area, they're like ok so why don't you just drive? The parking costs in CC alone makes that not even a plausible option. And then the thought of being stuck in traffic with everyone else, no thank you lol.
I don't get their thinking at all. Everytime there's a longish outage on the MFL, BSL, even NHL they will launch shuttles. Here's an example. When the MFL had service closures because of re-building the MFL in West Philly years ago, septa announced stuff like " take these buses from 69th St Terminal to 30th Sts and continue from there on the train." I did it a bunch of times and it worked great. Septa did this although there is parallel service in West Philly along Chestnut and Walnut Sts.

So what is the different about the regional rail situation that they don't see bus shuttles as a stopgap?Lack of enough buses? Lack of enough drivers? Is it because they have no defined end point or real schedule about when the crisis will end?

Old 07-26-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I don't get their thinking at all. Everytime there's a longish outage on the MFL, BSL, even NHL they will launch shuttles. Here's an example. When the MFL had service closures because of re-building the MFL in West Philly years ago, septa announced stuff like " take these buses from 69th St Terminal to 30th Sts and continue from there on the train." I did it a bunch of times and it worked great. Septa did this although there is parallel service in West Philly along Chestnut and Walnut Sts.

So what is the different about the regional rail situation that they don't see bus shuttles as a stopgap?Lack of enough buses? Lack of enough drivers? Is it because they have no defined end point or real schedule about when the crisis will end?
Exactly! They run shuttle buses on the RR routes when they're down for track work, etc. I have no idea why this is any different. I know they shut down the Cynwyd line completely and are doing shuttle buses for that, but that line ran so infrequently anyway I highly doubt many buses are needed.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:12 PM

363 posts, read 276,118 times
Now we all know SEPTA loves their buses...but in all honesty i think it comes down to not being able to deploy all of their buses to ease the congestion on the Railroad....they still have to keep some off the road if their is another case of "Power Outage" , "Medical Emergency" etc. I, myself have wondered these things also over the years.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM

More changes - no more on-board purchases for CC stations - Pay on board? No more, says SEPTA

I'm imagining long lines just to get down to the platforms so I'm not sure how this is supposed to alleviate crowding. You gotta think, each platform has 2 tracks and several trains coming around the same timeframes... so 4-5 trains worth of people being stuck in a line just to get down to the platforms??

Uggghhhh

Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
I'm imagining long lines just to get down to the platforms so I'm not sure how this is supposed to alleviate crowding. You gotta think, each platform has 2 tracks and several trains coming around the same timeframes... so 4-5 trains worth of people being stuck in a line just to get down to the platforms??

Uggghhhh
Yeah, if I get out of work and head straight to the train station I get there about 5 minutes before my train comes. Would that even be enough time to make it through the line?

I don't know, and I don't really want to find out, since if I miss it I'll have to wait an hour for the next train.

I've been taking the subway this whole time and am getting used to it. I'm thinking about keeping my extra 50 bucks a month and just going back to the transpass. We'll see if I change my mind once the schools start back up again (one of the main drawbacks of SEPTA city transit being that it's also the school bus system).

Old 07-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Yeah, if I get out of work and head straight to the train station I get there about 5 minutes before my train comes. Would that even be enough time to make it through the line?

I don't know, and I don't really want to find out, since if I miss it I'll have to wait an hour for the next train.

I've been taking the subway this whole time and am getting used to it. I'm thinking about keeping my extra 50 bucks a month and just going back to the transpass. We'll see if I change my mind once the schools start back up again (one of the main drawbacks of SEPTA city transit being that it's also the school bus system).
Yep this is exactly what I'm worried about - being stuck in a long line, missing the train, and having to wait for the next one. This is just insane, I know this situation is not their fault but their "fixes" keep making the situation worse and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or