Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 12:04 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Breaking. There are more, and different, defects in the 18 cars just returned to service. The cluster... continues.

My view? They will have to bail on those cars completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:02 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Oh yeah, I never updated. I ended up not doing the new Manayunk bus service because I'm actually moving out of the area lol. So decided to just suck it up for the next few weeks and then I'll be gone - moving to DC and I actually think Metro is amazing even though folks down there hate it

Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's the bias these riders have about buses in general. They'd rather ride on crowded/late trains. To me that's silly but that's just me.
I'd consider it if it weren't longer/less convenient than my current commute on the CHE. I live toward the beginning of the line, so I always find a seat en route to CC. Even heading home, I've never had to stand.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Oh yeah, I never updated. I ended up not doing the new Manayunk bus service because I'm actually moving out of the area lol. So decided to just suck it up for the next few weeks and then I'll be gone - moving to DC and I actually think Metro is amazing even though folks down there hate it
Service on Metro can be very unreliable. I hope you have better experience with it than I've had. Either way, good luck with your move!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:52 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Service on Metro can be very unreliable. I hope you have better experience with it than I've had. Either way, good luck with your move!
Septa RR can be very unreliable as well - the Metro has the upside of actually being what our connected-commuter rail system pretends to be - that is an s-bahn.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
The Metro has had a bunch of problems in recent years. Trains catching on fire. My best friend used to live in Falls Church so I used the Orange Line a lot. At least at the time I did not like the fact that there was no 24hr service. Tbh, I don't follow much of what happens in DC, nowadays, other than strictly political things. NYC is closer and more my cup of tea.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Septa RR can be very unreliable as well - the Metro has the upside of actually being what our connected-commuter rail system pretends to be - that is an s-bahn.
Oh my... You know this of course. But anyway, the Metro was built from scratch to be exactly what you say: an s-bahn. Septa was built from multiple separate systems with the added "feature" of never having adequate funding. And the RR portion was forced on them.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:16 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Oh my... You know this of course. But anyway, the Metro was built from scratch to be exactly what you say: an s-bahn. Septa was built from multiple separate systems with the added "feature" of never having adequate funding. And the RR portion was forced on them.
Yes. Part of why I don't think the tunnel is not as great of an investment as it's often made out to be. The system just doesn't lend itself to through-travel - and the minimum fare of 9 dollars SEPTA sets for through-travel is as much of a punishment for it as anything else.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Metro can be unreliable but you're still never waiting long for a train to come (mere minutes). I use Regional Rail in Philly and especially with this SEPTA debacle, you're waiting an hour+ for trains that are packed to capacity. To me, Metro is a completely different ball game. I'm sure people who hate Metro are only used to riding Metro and don't have SEPTA to compare it to.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:12 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Metro can be unreliable but you're still never waiting long for a train to come (mere minutes). I use Regional Rail in Philly and especially with this SEPTA debacle, you're waiting an hour+ for trains that are packed to capacity. To me, Metro is a completely different ball game. I'm sure people who hate Metro are only used to riding Metro and don't have SEPTA to compare it to.
I doubt that. DC, after all, is very transient, unlike simple, unsophisticated Philadelphia. That last comment is sarcasm, BTW. My guess is that people complain about Metro, because, like SEPTA, it has problems and isn't perfect. Given that it's in DC, though, and not lowly, degenerate, and backwards (sarcasm again) Philadelphia, it's "allowed" to be imperfect, and its riders who complain simply don't know what they are talking about. Hmm.

Anyway, good luck with your move (and that part is not sarcasm)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia