U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times

Advertisements

SEPTA | Regional Rail Enhanced Saturday Schedule

SEPTA: Serious cracks found in 95 percent of cars inspected so far

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet. Who here is affected and how are you adjusting to the new schedules?

I for one am not happy one bit. My commute got screwed. I usually take the train at 7:30 out of Manayunk but now that time is gone and I'd have to either get up earlier and take the 7am or sit around waiting for the 8am and be stuck at work longer. Ultimately, I decided to take the 62 bus which gets me to the office about 20min later than normal but my commute time has now practically doubled. I'm going to try to take the train home though so we'll see how that goes. Even if I did decide to chance trying to take the train in the morning, there's no guarantee that I would even be able to get on a train. I got several notifications of trains expressing due to overcrowded conditions.

I know this is a manufacturer issue and not SEPTA's fault, but I think they are handling this poorly thus far. They're still charging weekday rates even though it's basically a weekend schedule. I'm enrolled in a commuter program through work so my pass is taken right out of my paycheck every month... so any type of fare credit doesn't help me at all since it's automatically deducted.

No timeframe on how long this will last but I'll be shocked if service is restored this year. We all know how quickly SEPTA Key took
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 10:09 AM

33,072 posts, read 61,890,891 times
I live at the end of the Norristown/Manayunk line, so I don't worry about overcrowding on the way into Center City; I also have the option of the Norristown trolley/subway, which gets me about the same two blocks from where I need to be as the train. I have a feeling a lot more people out at this end will be taking that option. No doubt the operators of the parking garage near the Norristown Transportation Center will reap some benefits there, because the surface lot fills up quickly.

The boss made the offer to work from home for the week, and to shift our schedules to arrive later/stay later at least for the next few weeks, so I'm working in my jammies today and tomorrow. Thursday I'll probably head in around 10, and see how things shake out.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 AM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
SEPTA | Regional Rail Enhanced Saturday Schedule

SEPTA: Serious cracks found in 95 percent of cars inspected so far

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet. Who here is affected and how are you adjusting to the new schedules?

I for one am not happy one bit. My commute got screwed. I usually take the train at 7:30 out of Manayunk but now that time is gone and I'd have to either get up earlier and take the 7am or sit around waiting for the 8am and be stuck at work longer. Ultimately, I decided to take the 62 bus which gets me to the office about 20min later than normal but my commute time has now practically doubled. I'm going to try to take the train home though so we'll see how that goes. Even if I did decide to chance trying to take the train in the morning, there's no guarantee that I would even be able to get on a train. I got several notifications of trains expressing due to overcrowded conditions.

I know this is a manufacturer issue and not SEPTA's fault, but I think they are handling this poorly thus far. They're still charging weekday rates even though it's basically a weekend schedule. I'm enrolled in a commuter program through work so my pass is taken right out of my paycheck every month... so any type of fare credit doesn't help me at all since it's automatically deducted.

No timeframe on how long this will last but I'll be shocked if service is restored this year. We all know how quickly SEPTA Key took
Supposedly, Amtrak is accepting trail passes during this issue. Of course, doesn't help you necessarily, but it's a good compromise for some.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I live at the end of the Norristown/Manayunk line, so I don't worry about overcrowding on the way into Center City; I also have the option of the Norristown trolley/subway, which gets me about the same two blocks from where I need to be as the train. I have a feeling a lot more people out at this end will be taking that option. No doubt the operators of the parking garage near the Norristown Transportation Center will reap some benefits there, because the surface lot fills up quickly.

The boss made the offer to work from home for the week, and to shift our schedules to arrive later/stay later at least for the next few weeks, so I'm working in my jammies today and tomorrow. Thursday I'll probably head in around 10, and see how things shake out.
Yeah unfortunately for me aside from the train my options are either bus or drive in and there is nooooo way I'm paying CC parking prices. If I were to shift my schedule, I'd want to come in earlier but knowing how my office operates I'd probably be stuck here till usual time anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Supposedly, Amtrak is accepting trail passes during this issue. Of course, doesn't help you necessarily, but it's a good compromise for some.
Oh nice that's def helpful for anyone on the Amtrak lines. I saw an article earlier that SEPTA is in talks with NJ Transit to borrow some cars in the meantime, hopefully they can work something out!

Old 07-05-2016, 11:04 AM

1,143 posts, read 811,104 times
I live near the end of the Media/Elwyn Line (I could take the bus to Chester, but I prefer not to). The funny part is that the Media/Elwyn Line is currently out of service west of Swarthmore due to the replacement of the Crum Creek Viaduct, so customers at Elwyn, Media, Moylan-Rose Valley, and Wallingford now have two issues to deal with. With this said, however, this will not have much of an effect on me. As usual, I will take the 117 to Elwyn, take the shuttle bus to Swarthmore, and take the Media/Elwyn Line into Center City.

Although it seems like I'm in the minority judging by what I see on my social media, I am so glad that this is happening. SEPTA recognized a problem and took the Silverliner Vs out of service before a derailment could occur. People could have been seriously injured or even killed. I will likely have a job in Center City soon, but I would rather be late than to not show up at all due to a serious injury or death.

My only hope from here is that Denver's regional rail provider looks into their Silverliner Vs. They have the same equipment that we do.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM

1,143 posts, read 811,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Oh nice that's def helpful for anyone on the Amtrak lines. I saw an article earlier that SEPTA is in talks with NJ Transit to borrow some cars in the meantime, hopefully they can work something out!
Amtrak is informing people via Twitter that it is currently not honoring SEPTA Trailpasses.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Amtrak is informing people via Twitter that it is currently not honoring SEPTA Trailpasses.
Strange. Two of my coworkers called this morning and they confirmed.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Strange. Two of my coworkers called this morning and they confirmed.
lol sounds like great communication between the transit agencies. I saw the posts on Twitter where Amtrak was saying they don't honor SEPTA fares.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:42 PM

haha they finally released the refund options and it's a total crock. I can either mail my pass back by THIS THURSDAY for a full refund. Or I get a fare credit which as I said is useless to me because my work automatically deducts the fare from my paycheck. And for my Zone 2, it's a lousy $25 for dealing with this huge inconvenience. Seeing if there's any way for me to get a refund in the amount of the credit. Ugh

Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Charging weekend fares is not a viable option, as SEPTA unfortunately can not do anything that would increase demand on what was already a very stressed rail system during rush hour.

Luckily for me, the main thing the regional rail does is provide comfort in getting to and from Mt Airy. I get to read or sleep on my commute. This morning I took the route 23 bus into Broad and Erie and picked up the BSL. I left about 10 minutes earlier than I usually do on the CHE and wound up getting downtown 10 minutes earlier as well....too early, so I'll leave at my normal time going forward.

Coming home I took the BSL to Olney and got the L bus....made it home about 5 minutes sooner than I usually do on the regional rail (which I usually have to wait 20 minutes for after work, as opposed to the immediacy of the BSL). I almost took the CHW west which was scheduled to come at about the same time as it does during the week....wound up being 20+ minutes late.

The pass refund plan is bogus. I get my pass through work as well, and it's paid for partially by my employer and partially by me. At this point I can't change the pass plan I get until September 1...at which point everything will maybe be fixed but probably not? So for the next two months or more I'm essentially losing 45 dollars a month. I'm paying for a zone 2, and there's nothing I can do about it, yet I'm taking city transit due to there being no other viable option. Seems like I can get a credit for my July Trailpass...but not my August trailpass for which the order has probably already been processed by my employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or