U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 05:30 PM

11 posts, read 11,897 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I've lived in Manayunk for 2.5 years now and I really want to move farther into the city because where I am feels a little isolated. South Philly is the best fit, and my friend and I (two mid-20s women) are looking at homes in Point Breeze/Girard Estates this week.

The Point Breeze places we're looking at are around 18th & Reed, 21st & Tasker, and 20th & McKean. I'm just a little confused because I've never felt unsafe in Point Breeze and it doesn't look particularly sketchy to me (maybe kinda run-down but not so bad), yet in my research, everyone says that it's super dangerous and to be avoided.

Am I crazy? Or am I just used to city life? The blocks seem perfectly decent and there are some nice homes available. My friend (who is moving from DC) and I are pretty confident in our street smarts and I know it's gentrifying westward at an alarming pace. The research I did was from old threads, so I don't know how much nicer PB has gotten since. I've checked crime maps but they're not particularly illuminating. The areas of DC I'm used to and feel safe in are also red (thanks, Trulia), and it seems like there's still plenty of thefts, burglaries, etc. east of Broad.

There are a couple houses on our list in Girard Estates. I can't find much about what it's like to live there. It sounds like there isn't much going on there and it's a little isolated from the rest of the city, but it's safe.

I was hoping to see places in East Passyunk/Passyunk Square, but sadly none of those realtors/landlords have gotten back to us.

Any advice on these areas before we go to see the houses? Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 07:02 PM

5,351 posts, read 5,570,613 times
It completely depends on your lifestyle, although I'd go with PS if you can afford it. PB is very hit/miss, that's the dynamic. There are plenty of blocks that seem as nice as PS, but they are not nearly as consistent. Crime is certainly higher, especially after dark, and there are some serious social challenges within the neighborhood at large.

So, the real answer is that you should decide what is best for you. Your chances of getting loud neighbors, bikes stolen, violent crime after dark, etc. goes up in a neighborhood like PB IMO. The other thing to consider if you're going to be a long-term PB resident, is that I think the vibe in the neighborhood is just ok. One of the things I love about PS is that there is a cohesive build, consistent balance between older and newer residents, and a down-to-earth feel. PB is getting so heavily developed in areas that the identify and balance in the hood is kind of lost. PS never lost so much housing stock and while it was rougher 10 years ago, it wasn't quite like PB.

If PS is out of your price range, I would look south of PS. There are some great neighborhoods that are still better than PB south of here, and as those increase in COL, I think they'll have a better balance than PB as well.

Btw - Nothing against PB. This is just my perspective/preference. Plenty of people love it west of Broad.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:02 AM

Thank you so much, AJNEOA, this makes a lot more sense. It does sound like PS is better overall, though there are sooo many more places available in PB. I guess I'll try to chase down those realtors who are showing PS houses.

Do you know what the Lower Moyamensing area is like? Even my friends who have lived in the city for years don't seem to know much about it. It seems safe and there are some nice houses there; I just worry it's a little far from Center City/other stuff and potentially isolated, like Girard Estates.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfbarf View Post
Thank you so much, AJNEOA, this makes a lot more sense. It does sound like PS is better overall, though there are sooo many more places available in PB. I guess I'll try to chase down those realtors who are showing PS houses.

Do you know what the Lower Moyamensing area is like? Even my friends who have lived in the city for years don't seem to know much about it. It seems safe and there are some nice houses there; I just worry it's a little far from Center City/other stuff and potentially isolated, like Girard Estates.
It's on the upswing as well, and it has more of the PS feel over the PB feel. Admittedly, I don't know much about the neighborhood. Crime is very likely lower than PB and it's close to EPA. In fact, East Passyunk (above Snyder) may have some great housing stock available as well. Hopefully, some others here know more about LoMo and can comment.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:21 AM

Btw - Trulia is showing a bunch of house available. I would start there. In fact, if you work with the same realtor who's selling and cut the commission from 6% down to 4% (single realtor), you may be able to negotiate a lower sell price.

Philadelphia, PA Real Estate & Homes for Sale | Trulia

Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Thanks, AJNEOA! I'll see if we can get showings in Lower Moyamensing as well. We're actually renting, not buying... I guess the people lucky enough to snag East Passyunk homes don't want to leave them!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:51 AM

669 posts, read 453,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfbarf View Post

Have you checked out Pennsport at all? It's East of everywhere you're currently looking (a few blocks from the Delaware). Very safe and vibrant neighborhood with solid housing stock - especially north of Tasker St. Also, it's the most connected to the city of all the neighborhoods you named. You can walk a few blocks north into Queen Village, a few more north gets you to South Street and then the city proper. Just a suggestion.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Thanks, Pennsport, we did check out that neighborhood but my roommate wants proximity to the BSL to commute to Temple, which is why we're trying to stick to within a half mile of Broad.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Have you checked out Pennsport at all? It's East of everywhere you're currently looking (a few blocks from the Delaware). Very safe and vibrant neighborhood with solid housing stock - especially north of Tasker St. Also, it's the most connected to the city of all the neighborhoods you named. You can walk a few blocks north into Queen Village, a few more north gets you to South Street and then the city proper. Just a suggestion.
Pennsport is a great neighborhood. I was over there the other day to eat at The Dutch, which I knew would be great because of both Noord and Fond. Two of my favorites.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:02 PM

I didn't know much about it! It's def something I'll keep in mind after this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia