U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:25 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,877,400 times

Advertisements

I went to Philly public schools, and they were good enough to get me into the Ivy league.
Although I was a smart kid who was always good at standardized tests, so maybe it's more truthful to say that they weren't bad enough to keep me from getting into good colleges.
Now that I have my own kid, I admit that I am not at all eager to send him through the Philly school system, which seems even more broken now than it was then. It's honestly one of the big reasons I'm not back in Philly right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 PM

1,243 posts, read 799,046 times
I believe the acceptance rate or odds of getting into Ivy league colleges are diminishing as the years go by. In addition, the differences between good schools and bad schools is widening.

IMHO, it's irresponsible to send one's kids to a school that is failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I went to Philly public schools, and they were good enough to get me into the Ivy league.
Although I was a smart kid who was always good at standardized tests, so maybe it's more truthful to say that they weren't bad enough to keep me from getting into good colleges.
Now that I have my own kid, I admit that I am not at all eager to send him through the Philly school system, which seems even more broken now than it was then. It's honestly one of the big reasons I'm not back in Philly right now.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:19 AM

3,063 posts, read 2,637,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I believe the acceptance rate or odds of getting into Ivy league colleges are diminishing as the years go by. In addition, the differences between good schools and bad schools is widening.

IMHO, it's irresponsible to send one's kids to a school that is failing.
Exactly. In addition, there are some outside forces that are largely impacting the broken school system in Philly City Schools--the SRC, the trend of Charters, less funding(more district budget cuts thanks to who was in office and decided to slash spending for schools in the district), and several other factors. It's also a lot more competitive to get into an Ivy league than before. A very small percentage of students at broken schools do well enough to get into Ivy League programs, and of those that do--they often struggle in the new environment at Ivy League schools since it's much different than the environment they went to highschool, middle school, and so on--in terms of the education, the student body, and expectation. I can really go on and on, but point blank period, even if one doesn't necessarily have the goal to send their child to an Ivy league College, they at least want their child to be adequately prepared to leave high school and have numerous opportunities. Sending their child to mediocre, poor performing, or average schools is a disservice if they want their child to have way less limitations to being successful in the new competitive marketplace. Things have changed a lot from when parents were in school, versus how things are now.

I don't want to steer anyone from living in the city of Philadelphia if that's where they really want to be--but I am saying that they need to really pay attention to the schools their children will go to if they do choose to live in the city. If they cannot afford a private school, than the best alternative is to consider moving to a surrounding suburb that has good public schools(Ardmore, Narbeth, Media, etc). Even teachers that I've spoken with(those who teach at neighborhood public schools and the BEST charter schools in Philly) have said they would never EVER send their child to a charter or a neighborhood public school because they know what's really at stake.

Anyway good luck to the OP!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:36 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post

I don't want to steer anyone from living in the city of Philadelphia if that's where they really want to be--but I am saying that they need to really pay attention to the schools their children will go to if they do choose to live in the city. If they cannot afford a private school, than the best alternative is to consider moving to a surrounding suburb that has good public schools(Ardmore, Narbeth, Media, etc). Even teachers that I've spoken with(those who teach at neighborhood public schools and the BEST charter schools in Philly) have said they would never EVER send their child to a charter or a neighborhood public school because they know what's really at stake.

Anyway good luck to the OP!
Catholic schools used to be the other alternative and it still is for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia