U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 564 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking to moving to Philly for my job, but despite the fact I've lived in DelCo for my entire life, I know pretty much nothing about the city and its neighborhoods. I was hoping I could get some insight as to whether or not I would find a home in Philly or if it's not really for me. If I would fit in in Philly, I would love suggestions on where to live.

A bit about me:
I'm a young twenty something.
I'm a writer and would love to connect with other creatives/have cool places to write. (aka. Are there good coffee shops were I can ingest ungodly amounts of caffeine and bread product while staring at a blank paper.)

Interest wise I may be a hippie/hipster/boho/Pintrester except without the associated pretension. Mostly this comes into play with what I eat. Are there good organic and farm to table options? Don't get me wrong, I love a good cheesesteak and would kill someone over a soft pretzel, but I really value cooking with fresh and healthy ingredients (a la farmers markets and Trader Joes-esq stores).

Along a similar vein here are the things that I do for fun:
- Writing and eating (covered above)
- Yoga. I saw there was free yoga in Philly, but is there actually a subculture of people who do yoga?
- Going to bars and staying out late. This may seem counterintuitive with the vibe of my other questions, but I like to drink and dance. A lot.
- I like the theater. I've gone to a few shows at the Walnut Street Theater that didn't really wow me. I'm not sure if it's because I wasn't a huge fan of the shows I saw or if there are better places to go to see performances.
- I'm a big fan of concerts, but not so much paying for them. As in, I like underground, coffeehouse, pop-up, free/cheap (<$25) music.
- I like festivals. I heard there's a lot. Is that true?
- Is it weird to hang around the parks by yourself? Is it safe?
- Go to church. I'm a Christian.

As if I haven't wrote too much already, here's the questionnaire:

When are you moving? August, sometime
Where are you coming from?* DelCo (Philly suburbs)
Why are you moving? Young and tired of living in the suburbs/job reasons
Where will you be working? Substitute teaching around the city and suburbs
Have you been here yet?*In and out for fieldtrips (i.e. Zoo, Mutter Museum, Franklin Institute) when I was young. I've also visited friends at Temple.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo?*N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Really, anything. I think probably an apartment would be best, but I really don't know. I can only spend a maximum of $900 - 1,000. In the most ideal scenario, this would include most amenities and parking.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? No preference.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Would rather not live in the suburbs.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Nah, from my understanding there's plenty of parks.
Are you keeping a car? Yes, one.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Bustling activity, but not so much where I'll have a hard time getting up early in the morning.

What do you want to be closest to? Parks, Coffee shops, and Nightlife

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? It's most important I live near people with similar interests and a desire to build a community.

Coke or Pepsi? Unsweetened ice-tea. (But I used to drink Coke)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 10:09 PM

10 posts, read 5,476 times
I would say go for it. Better yet, transfer your job to Washington DC or NYC. You are at the perfect age for a life's adventure.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:38 AM

374 posts, read 563,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abba Machine View Post
I would say go for it. Better yet, transfer your job to Washington DC or NYC. You are at the perfect age for a life's adventure.
Huh !!! Right, go for it and pay 3-5+X the Philly Cost of Living. An individual with a sole source of income as a substitute teacher in either of those cities would be fortunate to find a rental they could afford and still eat, unless of course they found 3 or 4 perfectly compatible roommates. Further, DC has little benefit for a 20-30 something versus Philly - don't know how that got into the mix.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:58 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abba Machine View Post
The OP's housing budget excludes those.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
DC has little benefit for a 20-30 something versus Philly - don't know how that got into the mix.
Moving to DC would provide the OP an opportunity to be smug and look down on everyone else.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 AM

633 posts, read 491,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Huh !!! Right, go for it and pay 3-5+X the Philly Cost of Living. An individual with a sole source of income as a substitute teacher in either of those cities would be fortunate to find a rental they could afford and still eat, unless of course they found 3 or 4 perfectly compatible roommates. Further, DC has little benefit for a 20-30 something versus Philly - don't know how that got into the mix.
Exactly. Higher cost of living in a smaller metro area for...what exactly? Unless OP was looking for a job within the federal government or as a contractor it's nonsensical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Moving to DC would provide the OP an opportunity to be smug and look down on everyone else.

Lol! DC isn't New York and there's not much to be smug about compared to the other east coast metros. Even Bostonians or Pittsburghers would laugh you out of town for that one.

What area of Delco are you in, OP? Strange that you're THAT unaware of the arts/culture/nightlife scene in Philadelphia as a longtime resident. You can get an idea of what most of you're looking for by checking out Philadelphia's Alt-weekly at www.philadelphiaweekly.com that covers all of that, or perusing the archives of the (much, much better) recently defunct other alt-weekly at www.citypaper.net.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:55 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Fishtown, University City, West Philly

Old 07-08-2016, 09:28 AM

3,063 posts, read 2,637,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Fishtown, University City, West Philly
I agree.

The only problem would be finding a job... From what I know from the teachers I know--the teaching market in Philly is very difficult right now. Subbing might not be an issue though, but teaching I know for sure many teachers that were out of jobs, or that struggled to find employment. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia