Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:53 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,063,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
That's the real hypocrisy. Coming from New York City and complaining about traffic, hot weather and walking.
Traffic and congestion in NYC are a bragging right, of course. But in Philadelphia: Bah! Shouldn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 10:58 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,670,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was so annoyed reading that. And then reporters from NYC complaining that they had to walk a lot in 95 degree heat, and they blame Philadelphia, I guess thats our fault for not being able to control the weather. People make it seem like traffic, hectic city streets and summer heat are only found in Philadelphia.
I guess they never walk anywhere in NYC which pretty much has the same weather we do.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Traffic and congestion in NYC are a bragging right, of course. But in Philadelphia: Bah! Shouldn't happen.
Exactly. Lol. Philadelphia's a hick town. Nothing happens here.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:26 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,495,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
That could have been done better for sure. But from the other situations I'm reading about, it's like people showed up having done no research or reading about where they were going and how to get there. This isn't Disney World, it's a major busy city during a normal work week.
Exactly. At some point, personal responsibility has to kick in. Not to mention, it's definitely a responsibility of each delegation's leadership to ensure that their members have what they need/know what they're doing. To expect the City of Philadelphia to have to take responsibility to plan for every single delegate or media member (who, as frequent travelers, should be well aware of how to deal with the unexpected) is absurd.

Especially in an age of ubiquitous smart phones, there's no excuse for being lost/confused in a city as compact/walkable and fairly easy to navigate (think large grid system) as Philly.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. At some point, personal responsibility has to kick in. Not to mention, it's definitely a responsibility of each delegation's leadership to ensure that their members have what they need/know what they're doing. To expect the City of Philadelphia to have to take responsibility to plan for every single delegate or media member (who, as frequent travelers, should be well aware of how to deal with the unexpected) is absurd.

Especially in an age of ubiquitous smart phones, there's no excuse for being lost/confused in a city as compact/walkable and fairly easy to navigate (think large grid system) as Philly.
But I don't think a lot of these people walk anywhere in their real lives. They drive, door to door, everywhere. Coming to place like Philly is mysterious. Saying it's "walkable" is meaningless.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM

10,583 posts, read 11,998,743 times
Not that I would have done it…but I just realized I could have rented out my house for convention week!! Darn it. Missed opportunity!

Old 07-26-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Not that I would have done it…but I just realized I could have rented out my house for convention week!! Darn it. Missed opportunity!
Would you actually have taken the risk of allowing any of the Bernie Bros crowd and/ or protesters to trash your house? I never understand people who want do these very short term rentals to strangers.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,831,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
But I don't think a lot of these people walk anywhere in their real lives. They drive, door to door, everywhere. Coming to place like Philly is mysterious. Saying it's "walkable" is meaningless.
That's the way I was reading it as well. This reminds me exactly why I live in Philadelphia. 99 percent of America is built like an auto-centric ****show. I was reading about how rental cars are sold out, and the people are trying to drive around Center City like they took a trip to a Phoenix Arizona auto show.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was so annoyed reading that. And then reporters from NYC complaining that they had to walk a lot in 95 degree heat, and they blame Philadelphia, I guess thats our fault for not being able to control the weather. People make it seem like traffic, hectic city streets and summer heat are only found in Philadelphia.
Is this the same whining about there being a traffic logjam leaving the WFC last night? It's like some of these people have never been on 5th Ave at "rush hour" or 9th Ave. on a Saturday evening trying to get to the Lincoln Tunnel. Or the RUSH to get a NJT train out of NYC, MetroNorth out of GCS, or Long Island RR at peak times. Were they expecting Philly to be like the other possible DNC location, Columbus, OH ?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,063,757 times
I'm not sure why this guy would make the comment "Columbus would have aced it" unless:
1- he is from Columbus
2- he currently lives in Columbus
3- he has an ax to grind

Seriously, why would anyone post such a thing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattbai?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia