Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:54 AM

211 posts, read 211,995 times

Advertisements

HI!
I know that there probably are tons of online resources that could pinpoint what I need, but I thought that maybe reading from actual Philadelphia residents would be a better way of assessing this. I am considering a move to Philadelphia. I am a graduate student of social work and I would like to get there to complete my second-year field placement (preferably at a social service agency that works with counseling and helping the homeless or LGBTQs) and work as a substitute teacher. I am also thinking of getting a part-time job at either a gym or an eatery while I get my stuff together initially.
Anyway, I am wondering about what areas of Philly would be good to live.
  • I am not necessarily looking for "hip" or "happening" places to live in, but I would at least like to know where those are. By "hip" I guess I don't mean the yuppified kind of hip, but the more boho, off-the-beaten-path, artsy-in-a-non-pretentious kind of way.
  • I am not into fancy restaurants or anything. I am more of a cook-at-home-and-save-money kind of guy, so it would be awesome if I could know where the open air markets are.
  • I love walking and running outdoors, and I wonder if anyone here is familiar with Boston and Chicago: does Philly have anything similar to Chicago's Lakefront Trail or Boston's Charles River Esplanade? I am sorry about my ignorance in regards to these things, but I don't know how I would look for that online..."walking trails alongside a body of water"?
  • What are the relatively safe (crime-wise) areas in Philly that still have a substantial amount of local color, character, and ideological/cultural/racial/sexual/political diversity? Does that make sense?
  • I am trying to find a relatively affordable studio apt (under 1k a month if possible) or even a room, but I would like it to be in a truly walkable area. I don't drive and I don't intend to get a car, so it would be awesome if I could live somewhere that were close to, say, the gym, a post office, my bank (TD Bank). It doesn't even have to be within walking distance, since, like I mentioned earlier, I love walking.
Thanks for being kind enough to help, and have a great day!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-09-2016 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
HI!
I know that there probably are tons of online resources that could pinpoint what I need, but I thought that maybe reading from actual Philadelphia residents would be a better way of assessing this. I am considering a move to Philadelphia. I am a graduate student of social work and I would like to get there to complete my second-year field placement (preferably at a social service agency that works with counseling and helping the homeless or LGBTQs) and work as a substitute teacher. I am also thinking of getting a part-time job at either a gym or an eatery while I get my stuff together initially.
  • I am not necessarily looking for "hip" or "happening" places to live in, but I would at least like to know where those are. By "hip" I guess I don't mean the yuppified kind of hip, but the more boho, off-the-beaten-path, artsy-in-a-non-pretentious kind of way.
  • I am not into fancy restaurants or anything. I am more of a cook-at-home-and-save-money kind of guy, so it would be awesome if I could know where the open air markets are.
  • I love walking and running outdoors, and I wonder if anyone here is familiar with Boston and Chicago: does Philly have anything similar to Chicago's Lakefront Trail or Boston's Charles River Esplanade? I am sorry about my ignorance in regards to these things, but I don't know how I would look for that online..."walking trails alongside a body of water"?
  • What are the relatively safe (crime-wise) areas in Philly that still have a substantial amount of local color, character, and ideological/cultural/racial/sexual/political diversity? Does that make sense?
  • I am trying to find a relatively affordable studio apt (under 1k a month if possible) or even a room, but I would like it to be in a truly walkable area. I don't drive and I don't intend to get a car, so it would be awesome if I could live somewhere that were close to, say, the gym, a post office, my bank (TD Bank). It doesn't even have to be within walking distance, since, like I mentioned earlier, I love walking.
It sounds like you are single and in, possibly, your 20s. Telling us basic stuff like your age and gender will help us pin down what area might work for you.

And, yes, there is a walking/running trail in Center City which is what we call downtown.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-09-2016 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It sounds like you are single and in, possibly, your 20s. Telling us basic stuff like your age and gender will help us pin down what area might work for you.

And, yes, there is a walking/running trail in Center City which is what we call downtown.
Sorry! Yes, I am single, but not in my twenties. I am actually in my mid-forties, male, single, childless, and debt-free. Since I am going for social work, I am clearly not getting rich any time soon, but I am very good with my money, and I have no intention of living beyond my means.

Thanks for the reply!!

Would you say Center City is outrageously expensive to live at, like the "downtown" areas of NY or Boston would be?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry! Yes, I am single, but not in my twenties. I am actually in my mid-forties, male, single, childless, and debt-free. Since I am going for social work, I am clearly not getting rich any time soon, but I am very good with my money, and I have no intention of living beyond my means.

Thanks for the reply!!

Would you say Center City is outrageously expensive to live at, like the "downtown" areas of NY or Boston would be?
Center City (and adjacent neighborhoods) has cheaper rents than NY, Boston or DC which make its cost of living less overall. But if you are "stuck" with needing a lower cost rental, you might be able to find somthing in University City which is where Penn, Drexel and Univ. of the Sciences are. There are neighborhoods in S. Philly which may work too.

Back to running/walking/biking trails that are accessible to Center City. There's the Schuylkill River Trail which is in Center City and Martin Luther King Drive which is open for rec activities on weekends.

You mentioned substitute teaching, the Phila. School District is hiring so you might want to check that out.

The area transit system is SEPTA and there is limited 24hr service.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Center City (and adjacent neighborhoods) has cheaper rents than NY, Boston or DC which make its cost of living less overall. But if you are "stuck" with needing a lower cost rental, you might be able to find somthing in University City which is where Penn, Drexel and Univ. of the Sciences are. There are neighborhoods in S. Philly which may work too.

Back to running/walking/biking trails that are accessible to Center City. There's the Schuylkill River Trail which is in Center City and Martin Luther King Drive which is open for rec activities on weekends.

You mentioned substitute teaching, the Phila. School District is hiring so you might want to check that out.

The area transit system is SEPTA and there is limited 24hr service.
To add. All of Center City is walkable, as are University City and S. Philly.

I live in Spring Garden which is just north of Center City. I don't drive anymore. Got rid of my car a year ago. I don't miss it at all.
I have local groceries and a Whole Foods I can walk to.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:34 AM

kyb01, thanks a lot for replying. I certainly appreciate your help. I will continue researching about Philly in any way I can, and since I currently live in CT, I am planning to visit soon so I can get sort of a feel of what the city is like.
Thanks for the info about the Philadelphia School District. I just found out that the city's sub teaching pool is operated by Kelly Edcuational Staffing, which is awesome because they also do that here, and they have a relatively "painless" application and hiring process.

Have a great day!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:38 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
You've answered some of these questions already, but if you copy/paste the questions at the below link into this thread, we'll be able to assist you even more.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...formation.html

Old 08-08-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
You've answered some of these questions already, but if you copy/paste the questions at the below link into this thread, we'll be able to assist you even more.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...formation.html

That is awesome, Flyers Girl! Thanks!!!

When are you moving?
Most likely in the spring of 2017

Where are you coming from?
New Britain, CT

Why are you moving?
To finish grad school, complete my field placement, and hopefully get a job. To live in a big city that offers better entertainment, cultural, and ideological options.

Where will you be working?
Not sure yet, but I am planning to do substitute teaching, which I have already done. My undergrad is in Spanish and Linguistics, and my master's degree will be in social work.

Have you been here yet?
Not yet, but I am certainly planning to visit in the next few weeks.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent for now.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
N/A

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Studio apartment. I would prefer to spend under 1k a month for a place.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Certainly walk-up, but if there's no other choice, hi-rise is fine.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single. No children.
Do you prefer public or private schools?

Do you have pets?
Nope.

Do you want or need a yard?
Nope.

Are you keeping a car?
Nope.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
I'd rather have bustling activity. I have had enough calm and quiet to last me a lifetime.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

I would love to be close to all of those ^^^if I could, but I guess you can't have it all. Work would be the number one priority.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
I'd rather be in a diverse setting, certainly. But again, it's all negotiable, as long as it's a relatively safe place.

Coke or Pepsi?
LOL
None.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:27 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
HI!
I know that there probably are tons of online resources that could pinpoint what I need, but I thought that maybe reading from actual Phuiladelphians would be a better way of assessing this. I am considering a move to Philadelphia. I am a graduate student of social work and I would like to get there to complete my second-year field placement (preferably at a social service agency that works with counseling and helping the homeless or LGBTQs) and work as a substitute teacher. I am also thinking of getting a part-time job at either a gym or an eatery while I get my stuff together initially.
  • What are the relatively safe (crime-wise) areas in Chicago that still have a substantial amount of local color, character, and ideological/cultural/racial/sexual/political diversity? Does that make sense?
Job-wise: You've probably found https://www.mazzonicenter.org/, but here it is again, just in case.

As for running/walking/diversity ... East Mt Airy, West Mt Airy and Germantown all fare well in these categories. There are some independent food stores (e.g., A&N House of Produce in Germantown), coops, farmers markets and some community gardens. And you're close to Wissahickon Creek, part of the Fairmount Park system: miles of trails along the creek and other routes away from the Creek itself. The trail connects w/ the Schuylkill River Trail, a bike path that you can take to Center City or, going up-river, to Valley Forge. All 3 'hoods are diverse by any measure. Safety can be more of an issue in Germantown - look for crime maps with some degree of granularity (i.e., not just by ZIP code but finer/block-level reporting). I've lived in E Mt Airy for 8 years and love it - never at a loss for a new route to run, no personal safety issues, ... just really love it here.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Job-wise: You've probably found https://www.mazzonicenter.org/, but here it is again, just in case.

As for running/walking/diversity ... East Mt Airy, West Mt Airy and Germantown all fare well in these categories. There are some independent food stores (e.g., A&N House of Produce in Germantown), coops, farmers markets and some community gardens. And you're close to Wissahickon Creek, part of the Fairmount Park system: miles of trails along the creek and other routes away from the Creek itself. The trail connects w/ the Schuylkill River Trail, a bike path that you can take to Center City or, going up-river, to Valley Forge. All 3 'hoods are diverse by any measure. Safety can be more of an issue in Germantown - look for crime maps with some degree of granularity (i.e., not just by ZIP code but finer/block-level reporting). I've lived in E Mt Airy for 8 years and love it - never at a loss for a new route to run, no personal safety issues, ... just really love it here.
Hey, no, I had not found that Mazzoni Center place!!!!! THANKS!!!

Thanks so much for replying!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia