Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:40 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,537,050 times

Advertisements

According to Nate Silver's 538 website, Chester county could flip Blue in 2016. From my short stay in the County, most of the crowd I run and cycle with are liberals (healthy conscious), while the neighbors I've socialized with (over a drink) are gun-loving-low-taxes-pot-bellied-red-nicks.

If Chester County were to turn Blue, the shift would probably be driven by the female votes. I've also noticed, we are getting a lot of political fliers in the mail. However, wifey is getting 3 times as much flyers than me.

Quote:
The model suggests that several traditionally Republican suburban locales with diversifying and highly educated electorates could be poised to flip and support the Democratic presidential candidate: Orange County, California; Gwinnett County, Georgia; Chester County, Pennsylvania; Fort Bend County, Texas; and Virginia Beach.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...ote-maps-2016/

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-09-2016 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: PLEASE - do not post copyrighted graphics. People can click the link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:21 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,278,895 times
This morning watching the Morning Joe show they put up a chart by the pollster Marist showing Hillary up by 40 points in the suburbs of Phila. Kind of hard to believe. Could certainly see that in Montgomery County.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:26 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,171,551 times
So, only liberals are health conscious and only conservatives like low taxes?

Old 10-12-2016, 04:01 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,715,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
According to Nate Silver's 538 website, Chester county could flip Blue in 2016. From my short stay in the County, most of the crowd I run and cycle with are liberals (healthy conscious), while the neighbors I've socialized with (over a drink) are gun-loving-low-taxes-pot-bellied-red-nicks.

If Chester County were to turn Blue, the shift would probably be driven by the female votes. I've also noticed, we are getting a lot of political fliers in the mail. However, wifey is getting 3 times as much flyers than me.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...ote-maps-2016/
This kind of poltical shift, no matter what the unlying causes might be, started to happen in Delaware Co, for instance, at least 20 or more years ago. When I first became a voter in 1971 Delaware Co was solidly Republican. That is definitely not the case today.

The Inquirer published an interesting map of PA this week with a county by county breakdown.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 PM

9,322 posts, read 12,953,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
This kind of poltical shift, no matter what the unlying causes might be, started to happen in Delaware Co, for instance, at least 20 or more years ago. When I first became a voter in 1971 Delaware Co was solidly Republican. That is definitely not the case today.

The Inquirer published an interesting map of PA this week with a county by county breakdown.
And with it, the Delco GOP machine is finally fading away, though my uncle, who works for the County, is still a registered Republican even though he hasn't voted for anyone in the party for at least a decade.

I recall just a few years back, Chester finally elected a Democratic mayor. It's insane to imagine that the machine was able to hold on for so long, which begs the question of why it would even want to.

On the judicial end, I believe the first Democrat in modern history to serve on the Delaware County Common Pleas court was a Wallingford resident they "let" fill a sudden vacancy until the term expired.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:34 AM

10,223 posts, read 16,773,376 times
Would be a shame if it became just another high tax, low quality service Democrat county but trump does not strike me as chester County material. The reason the suburbs define elections is they are willing to change their votes. Chester has long been a fiscally conservative, socially moderate place...not quite the Delco machine which is an outgrowth of the philadelphia machine which switched parties but still retains control

Last edited by pman; 10-17-2016 at 04:58 AM..

Old 10-17-2016, 07:11 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Article on Chester County

The county that's ground zero for Trump's suburban woes - POLITICO

I've noticed some Anti-Hillary/Trump yard signs have disappeared. In the last week, Hillary/Kaine yard signs have started popping up. I had previously seen bumper stickers but not a single yard sign.

I think Trump will do better than Romney is Delaware County but the jury is still out on Chester County.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:54 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,340,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
So, only liberals are health conscious and only conservatives like low taxes?
I believe Mr. Einstein said "healthy" conscious and red "nicks." Perhaps the latter is a new ball club???

Old 10-17-2016, 12:24 PM

31,988 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
This morning watching the Morning Joe show they put up a chart by the pollster Marist showing Hillary up by 40 points in the suburbs of Phila. Kind of hard to believe. Could certainly see that in Montgomery County.
That sounds too steep. The Inquirer puts her lead around 28 percentage points.

In Philly suburbs, a deeply negative view on Donald Trump, poll finds

Still terrible. You can't lose the city of Philadelphia and its suburbs by historic margins and expect to win the state.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:02 PM

9,357 posts, read 9,263,931 times
Much of the reason why Chester County still leans red is because the western half is still very rural. As the county continues to grow (fasted growing in the state) it will go blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia