Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 6,767 times

Advertisements

I need advice and whether or not this would be a good move for us. Im looking to move out of nyc as soon as possible.

We have section 8 and live in brooklyn currently. It's not good mentally for us to continue to live here around toxic people/toxic enviroment. Were looking for a fresh start.

My main concern is living near a good school district . My kids who are 9 and 11 have autism. My daughter is mainstreamed so she would be attending regular public school...as would my son although he is not as high functioning he'd still need to be in a good school. His current school is just so/so .

Im mainly concerned with schooling ... I don't want my kids in hood schools where they'd be bullied i'd never forgive myself if i moved and ended up in a school where my kids are miserable or being attacked and i cant do anything about it.

I have severe depression and im unemployed but im truly working on my depression and employment will certainly help it. I've been unemployed for so many years and it's just now occuring to me that maybe my depression will lift if i get up and get out there in the world .

Right now were financially okay we have section 8, all utilities are included in our rent and i have a career path . I'd like to go to school for social work and work in a child welfare agency .I live in nyc so i dont have a license but im seriously pursuing it. I have paid off some driving courses and im getting my permit etc.

I know next to nothing about philladelphia but im hoping it will give my family a fresh start.

I just know that i dont want to continue to live here in nyc because my kids dad lives here and he rejects them and its really hard running into him and his family and living in such close proximity to him and his family is taking a mental toll on all of us. I would just like to uproot and start over elsewhere and lift this depression and make a life for me and my kids.

My kids are open to moving they said they look forward to it so moving will not be hard on them. Im just concerned with the schools...everything else is secondary .
Because they are special needs and we have section 8 if we did move to a low income area with worse schools...would they qualify to be bussed to a better school in another district? That's what we do now ...

My kids go to schools in the more affluent areas ..i had to fight to get them there but they are there . Does philadelphia has something similar?

My daughter is 11 and i want her to go to college because eventhough she's autistic she's high functioning and i dont want her held back education wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 10:16 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
I wouldn't move to Philadelphia if I were you. You should consider Wilmington, DE ... It's smaller and the schools are better.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:58 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
It's hard to compare schools in different states but Philadelphia schools will most not likely be an improvement.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:47 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I was making inquiries for a friend of mine who is originally from Philly but now lives in St. Petersburg, FL and is living in Section 8 housing. He is handicapped due to a car accident, can't work and is wheelchair bound. He would love to return to Philly.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told Section 8 availability is almost ZERO in Philly. Those apartments that accept Section 8 have l-o-n-g waiting lists. I also heard that people with Section 8 vouchers are now forced to look at other counties.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Bensalem Township which is a suburb of Phila is loaded with apartment complexes that take section 8. Schools not great but an improvement over Philly.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
OP, you said you fought to get your kids into decent schools. Why would you change that now?

You prepared to go to Philly and have to fight again? Because initially your kids will be put into the same local dumpy schools as every other kid in whatever neighborhood you end up in.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:39 PM

72 posts, read 76,286 times
If i were you wouldn't do. I'm from Brooklyn as well and i know several people that lost their section 8 because they couldn't find anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: