Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times

Advertisements

My college son will be driving up from VA Friday night. He has a friend who has asked him for a ride to Philadelphia, where she will meet up with her boyfriend at the University of the Arts. He is not familiar with the city but is a good driver and has been driving for almost four years. It looks like this is on Broad Street so a pretty safe area. Is that right? Any driving tips to get in and out quick and not end up in a bad area? Or should I try to talk to him about perhaps his friend going on the train in Harrisburg instead?

Slightly worried Mom who lives in a small town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
If your son has any experience with larger urban cities - perhaps he's spent time in DC? - then he will be perfectly fine in that section of Center City (downtown). that section of Broad Street is promoted as the "Avenue of the Arts" because of the many theaters and other arts-related entities on those blocks. It borders the upscale Rittenhouse Square neighborhood to the west and Washington Square West, the welcoming "gayborhood" to the east.

The only thing I would advise him about is that parking will be expensive and limited. On weekends, a parking garage might charge perhaps $10 a day. I would advise against overnight street parking even if it happens to be available. The good news is that he won't need to take out his car again until he's ready to drive home as Center City is a compact two square miles.

If he takes I-95 north to I-76 west, that will take him straight into Center City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My college son will be driving up from VA Friday night. He has a friend who has asked him for a ride to Philadelphia, where she will meet up with her boyfriend at the University of the Arts. He is not familiar with the city but is a good driver and has been driving for almost four years. It looks like this is on Broad Street so a pretty safe area. Is that right? Any driving tips to get in and out quick and not end up in a bad area? Or should I try to talk to him about perhaps his friend going on the train in Harrisburg instead?

Slightly worried Mom who lives in a small town

Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,311 times
Tell him, if in doubt, head in the directon that the numbered streets get lower!

That area's OK, and Center City is basically a big grid.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
What Tone said. He'll have a great time.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
The only thing I would advise him about is that parking will be expensive and limited. On weekends, a parking garage might charge perhaps $10 a day.
i think its more like $20 a day

Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. He's not staying or visiting, just dropping off. At first he thought he was driving her to Temple and I suggested they spend the night here and then he drive her down the next morning. He doesn't really have much city driving experience - his college is in Southwest VA - but I'm slightly less worried now. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. He's not staying or visiting, just dropping off. At first he thought he was driving her to Temple and I suggested they spend the night here and then he drive her down the next morning. He doesn't really have much city driving experience - his college is in Southwest VA - but I'm slightly less worried now. Thanks!
That's too bad. He should visit and see the big city. Maybe next time.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:44 AM

That's a generous son you have to drive someone a few hundred miles only to turn right around. Hopefully he'll at least rest a bit and take in a few of the immediate sights.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:33 PM

No, no, he's not that nice! We live just south of Allentown so it's just adding about an hour drive to his 6 hour one. We've been to Philadelphia before but he's never driven.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Ah for some reason I thought you were from Virginia. My mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia