Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,186 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just moved to East Norriton township and need to adjust my commute. I've been taking Regional Rail for a few years, but I think I want to switch to NHSL because it comes more often. I hate missing the RR train by a few minutes and then needing to wait an hour (currently the case with the Warminster line). My work hours are typically 10am-6pm. Monday-Thursday I'm at CHOP, and Friday I'm in Fishtown. I'm not at all familiar with the NHSL but am kind of familiar with the Norristown area, so have a few questions:

1. I've heard the Norristown TC isn't very safe. I don't think I'm going to be murdered as soon as I step foot in the building, but is it a "generally safe if you pay attention to your surroundings" kind of place, or a "you may get followed or have your car windows smashed" kind of place?

2. I'm thinking of parking at the DeKalb St. (formerly King Manor) stop in Bridgeport--same safety questions. Is it safe to come back to at night?

3. Do either the Norristown TC or the DeKalb St. lots fill up before 9am?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randompotato View Post
Hey all,

I just moved to East Norriton township and need to adjust my commute. I've been taking Regional Rail for a few years, but I think I want to switch to NHSL because it comes more often. I hate missing the RR train by a few minutes and then needing to wait an hour (currently the case with the Warminster line). My work hours are typically 10am-6pm. Monday-Thursday I'm at CHOP, and Friday I'm in Fishtown. I'm not at all familiar with the NHSL but am kind of familiar with the Norristown area, so have a few questions:

1. I've heard the Norristown TC isn't very safe. I don't think I'm going to be murdered as soon as I step foot in the building, but is it a "generally safe if you pay attention to your surroundings" kind of place, or a "you may get followed or have your car windows smashed" kind of place?

2. I'm thinking of parking at the DeKalb St. (formerly King Manor) stop in Bridgeport--same safety questions. Is it safe to come back to at night?

Thanks!
I've been in the Norristown TC a bunch of times over the years. Nothing has happened to me. Also I have been riding the NHSL(and its predecessors) since the 1960s. Nothing bad has happened to me wrt to it either. If you intend to ride it only during rush commuter hours there will be lots of fellow commuters to the city just like you. So that, doubly, means you shouldn't be concerned about personal safety issues.

Regarding parking around that area maybe others can answer your questions.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:14 PM

151 posts, read 199,138 times
I rode NHSL from 69th St terminal to Dekalb St for about 6 months. Never felt unsafe. The El was a little weird at times, but I think as long as you're riding at popular times with other commuters there's no reason to worry outside of the normal "always be aware of your surroundings." While it runs more often than RR, there are still the same SEPTA problems with inclement weather-related delays...actually sometimes there were delays for what seemed like no reason at all.

Parking is free and (seemingly) unlimited at Dekalb St which is why I liked getting off at that station, as opposed to Norristown TC. It was also closer to KOP where I worked at the time. I left my car there overnight and over weekends without any issue. Bridgeport is safe and I never got the impression that lot had any break-ins, but I guess anything's possible these days. I reverse commuted, so I parked there at night and left in the morning. Around 830 am, there were plenty of open spots.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-30-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytransplant13 View Post
I rode NHSL from 69th St terminal to Dekalb St for about 6 months. Never felt unsafe. The El was a little weird at times, but I think as long as you're riding at popular times with other commuters there's no reason to worry outside of the normal "always be aware of your surroundings." While it runs more often than RR, there are still the same SEPTA problems with inclement weather-related delays...actually sometimes there were delays for what seemed like no reason at all.

Parking is free and (seemingly) unlimited at Dekalb St which is why I liked getting off at that station, as opposed to Norristown TC. It was also closer to KOP where I worked at the time. I left my car there overnight and over weekends without any issue. Bridgeport is safe and I never got the impression that lot had any break-ins, but I guess anything's possible these days. I reverse commuted, so I parked there at night and left in the morning. Around 830 am, there were plenty of open spots.

Hope this helps!
Yes, the NHSL can be affected by heavy snow beyond Bryn Mawr station where Septa will suspend service beyond that point. But the El or BSL are rarely affected by snow.

Any delay you might have experienced on the El is likely due to a medical emergency or the infrequent suicide. The El and BSL are Septa's rail work horses and the most reliable rail transit they have. The NHSL is pretty rock solid as well.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, the NHSL can be affected by heavy snow beyond Bryn Mawr station where Septa will suspend service beyond that point. But the El or BSL are rarely affected by snow.

Any delay you might have experienced on the El is likely due to a medical emergency or the infrequent suicide. The El and BSL are Septa's rail work horses and the most reliable rail transit they have. The NHSL is pretty rock solid as well.
The delays I'm referring to were only on NHSL. I was a commuter on the NHSL over the 2014-2015 winter, and there were a few times the train was severely late, overcrowded to the point where no one else could get on, or out of commission completely. Didn't have any issues with the El besides some strange characters.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytransplant13 View Post
The delays I'm referring to were only on NHSL. I was a commuter on the NHSL over the 2014-2015 winter, and there were a few times the train was severely late, overcrowded to the point where no one else could get on, or out of commission completely. Didn't have any issues with the El besides some strange characters.
As I mentioned service on the NHSL is often suspended entirely beyond Bryn Mawr if there's sufficient snow on the ground. I wonder what the problem actually was that you experienced. The cars themselves are all about 20 years old at this point, fyi.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:07 AM

I think overall, SEPTA is a reliable choice. Regardless of the reason for the shortcomings, it's important to have a backup plan if you have to get somewhere in a timely manner.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,186 times
Thanks everyone! This was all really helpful. Weather-related delays make sense for the NHSL. I've been using the DeKalb St. station and have always found a spot, so it looks like that's what I'll be going with. Thanks again!

Old 12-08-2016, 01:11 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randompotato View Post
I've never had a problem there, but I'm taking the train/trolley usually only during peak hours.

Quote:
It's fine.

Quote:
The transportation center lot fills up rather quickly, but people seem to come and go, so there's usually at least one spot open. The downside is that if the lot is full, the only overflow is the overpriced garage.

There's always a spot open at the DeKalb lot, it seems, when I drive by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia