Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 05:02 PM

105 posts, read 228,997 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. My family and I are thinking of moving to the Malvern area. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts? Thanks for any and all info.
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:55 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
Very nice area, great schools, great people, a downtown that some love, some find boring...Matildap and NewtoPhilly (may be same person) LOVES Malvern and tends to mention it even if the OP is not asking about it

Old 03-02-2008, 11:31 AM

42 posts, read 146,851 times
Default Ha Ha

that's funny, thanks no, not same person though we should prob. get together. I can tell you whatever you'd like to know- we have been here a little while now, so I will tell you as much as I do know. And yes, we love it, and yes, I love to mention it. He he. That's why I have to stop posting unless someone....calls my name
What would you like to know?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 PM

16 posts, read 98,574 times
Question Places to live within an hour or so of Malvern PA

I will be calling on a customer in Malvern about once a week and would like some feedback on where to live.

We are a family of three with a 5 year old daughter. We would like to spend around $300,000 for a 4 bedroom house so it seems that Malvern is out. We want the same things everyone else wants, low crime, good schools etc. A real downtown with resturants, movies etc. would be nice

We love the water. North East seems nice but not too kid friendly and a little rural for our tastes. I love Cape May but it's too far as is the rest of the Jersey coast.

Does anybody have any thoughts on Chesepeake city/ Bear area. How about NJ about half way between Philly and the shore.

Any nice towns like Malvern that are cheaper.

Thanks, Joe

Old 05-24-2008, 04:00 PM

I listed on a previous post...I would say stick to PA or NJ for the best schools in the delaware valley.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:57 AM

29 posts, read 74,265 times
Can anyone give me an idea how close to the city I could go and still have a reasonable commute to Malvern? I am a single 48 year old woman and do not want to be in a bedroom community filled only with families.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirl61 View Post
Can anyone give me an idea how close to the city I could go and still have a reasonable commute to Malvern? I am a single 48 year old woman and do not want to be in a bedroom community filled only with families.
Ardmore would probably be a good compromise. It has a semi-hip downtown by suburban standards, a relatively short drive or train ride to Center City, and would actually be more affordable than many of the Main Line towns you would pass on the way to work.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 AM

You should check out Media, West Chester, Wayne, Phoenixville, Conshohocken as they all have walkable downtown areas - reminiscent of the city but not as close to it.

My wife works in Malvern and we considered places down towards Ardmore but at the end of the day I didn't want her commuting that far...I would recommend you think really hard about how long you want to be in a car everyday, in traffic, in bad weather (which the Malvern area seems to get quite a bit of), etc...my wife used to commute an hour each way from Drexel Hill to Malvern for 9 years...I was glad when we moved just to give her a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia