Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 05:48 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Keeping it all under one roof means that there is a lot less likelihood of fitting Wegmans into an urban setting. Unless the kitchen wares etc were on a 2nd floor over the groceries, they'd have to ditch those, too.
Your larger point - that Wegmans could go urban with some creative thinking - holds.

I've seen supermarkets in Manhattan that had a small selling area (and the checkouts) on the street floor with the rest of the store in the basement. Escalators connected the two.

And I know they make escalators for shopping carts. The two-story Target that occupies most of the former Strawbridge & Clothier in Springfield Park has them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 11:37 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Your larger point - that Wegmans could go urban with some creative thinking - holds.

I've seen supermarkets in Manhattan that had a small selling area (and the checkouts) on the street floor with the rest of the store in the basement. Escalators connected the two.

And I know they make escalators for shopping carts. The two-story Target that occupies most of the former Strawbridge & Clothier in Springfield Park has them.
Thanks. That was my point. Yes they could fit one or two regular Wegmans near or somewhat near to Center City, if they build over some of the parking & realize that lots of customers won't drive, so it's not a huge deal, as long as they can accommodate the delivery trucks. For other areas they would need to be creative.

If there's an area where the prepared foods will outsell the groceries by a lot, based on the demographics, give them that. Prepared foods & a few related items, like drinks. It's not brain surgery. If they had the groceries in a nearby area, everyone gets served, but maybe not the same way as in the suburbs. If they found 2 adjacent properties they could connect them internally & maybe lose very little. It's up to them. They could also look at getting space in new construction. That is exactly what they are doing in Raleigh & Brooklyn. They can do that in every other city in their footprint, including Philadelphia.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
"They could also lose the light bulbs..." That's just what the no-frills deep discounters did. You will, however, find some non-food items at Aldi stores; these, however, are special purchases, often seasonal in nature, housed in a section of one aisle labeled "ALDI finds."

And, of course, they have no health and beauty sections either. If you want toothpaste and bath soap on your shopping trip, your visit to Aldi or Save-a-Lot will be followed by one to the drugstore. (It just so happens that the closest Aldi to me is across the parking lot from a Rite Aid, making this quite convenient.)
Aldi has an end cap with toiletries & you can get a 2-pack of CFLs & an 8-pack of batteries on a shelf by the Febreeze. I buy all of my AA & AAA batteries at Aldi. I've gotten the CFL packs at Aldi, but I'm transitioning to LEDs, & have gotten those at RiteAid, when they run the deals with Plenti points, there.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:00 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
"They could also lose the light bulbs..." That's just what the no-frills deep discounters did. You will, however, find some non-food items at Aldi stores; these, however, are special purchases, often seasonal in nature, housed in a section of one aisle labeled "ALDI finds."

And, of course, they have no health and beauty sections either. If you want toothpaste and bath soap on your shopping trip, your visit to Aldi or Save-a-Lot will be followed by one to the drugstore. (It just so happens that the closest Aldi to me is across the parking lot from a Rite Aid, making this quite convenient.)
Your comment caused me to realize that I don't buy those things at a supermarket. I do buy food wrap and paper products, but I'd rather have a greater selection of foods than half an aisle of toilet paper.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:52 PM

345 posts, read 276,249 times
I think it's interesting that this thread has mentioned a lot about product availability but not too much about price.

I'm still trying to suss out what stores offer the best prices for things like

- middle aisle products (canned/dry goods, condiments)... I have a feeling in the city that's Aldi. Unfortunately they don't take manufacturer coupons AFAIK for obvious reasons (because they don't carry national brands) so there might be somewhere cheaper if one coupons.

- Other stuff like mentioned above, e.g. Toilet paper, paper towels, soap. I was able to pick up a nice fat roll of paper towels this morning for only 99 cents at the new Target at 19th and Walnut, so that was good.

- Meats and produce

I think one of the advantages of living in the city is not having to one-stop shop, actually. I'm willing to go to RTM or the Italian Market to get a cut of meat that I know will be good, so I'm willing to pay more for fresh foods.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out my own shopping habits even after living in the city for a few years. Not to harp on a point, but this was also why I like Giant---I find them to be better in terms of price than anyone else. Unfortunately I no longer work outside the city and I'm trying to use my car less, so Giant isn't an option

Old 01-16-2017, 06:51 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMoe10 View Post
I think it's interesting that this thread has mentioned a lot about product availability but not too much about price.

- middle aisle products (canned/dry goods, condiments)... I have a feeling in the city that's Aldi. Unfortunately they don't take manufacturer coupons AFAIK for obvious reasons (because they don't carry national brands) so there might be somewhere cheaper if one coupons.

- Other stuff like mentioned above, e.g. Toilet paper, paper towels, soap. I was able to pick up a nice fat roll of paper towels this morning for only 99 cents at the new Target at 19th and Walnut, so that was good.

- Meats and produce

I think one of the advantages of living in the city is not having to one-stop shop, actually. I'm willing to go to RTM or the Italian Market to get a cut of meat that I know will be good, so I'm willing to pay more for fresh foods.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out my own shopping habits even after living in the city for a few years. Not to harp on a point, but this was also why I like Giant---I find them to be better in terms of price than anyone else. Unfortunately I no longer work outside the city and I'm trying to use my car less, so Giant isn't an option

Giant and Target have the best prices for everything.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Giant and Target have the best prices for everything.
My sense upon visiting a Giant in St. Davids was that its prices were a little on the high side, though not up there with Acme - which was once the low price leader in the market.

IMO, ShopRite and sibling Fresh Grocer now hold that title. But I'm not sure that ShopRites are as thick on the ground in the Pennsylvania 'burbs as they are in the city and South Jersey. (New Jersey is the cooperative's birthplace and home still.)

Old 01-16-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMoe10 View Post

- Meats and produce

For canned goods - it's Aldi, hands down. Paper goods- I buy certain Scott products on sale in the supermarket, but sometimes they are the same sale price at RiteAid & if you also get PlentiPoints, that's a better deal. However, for everyday usage, the 49 cent paper towels at Aldi are just fine. Facial tissues at Aldi come from the same manufacturer that makes the better grade tissues for supermarkets. At $1.09 a box there's no debate for me.

Aldi is a limited selection, but if you watch the weekly specials & seasonal items, the selection is a lot bigger.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:56 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is grocery sections in places that aren't grocery stores & supermarkets. Ollies has a grocery section. Like the rest of the store, it's potluck. It's canned goods & package goods, only.

Dollar Tree has canned goods, package goods, & freezer/ refrigerator cases. Some stock is always there & some is potluck.

Know your Aldi prices because Aldi might beat those places. Also, check ethnic grocers. They might be cheaper for some items & some produce might be cheaper in an ethnic grocery store.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 AM

345 posts, read 276,249 times
Quote:
My sense upon visiting a Giant in St. Davids was that its prices were a little on the high side, though not up there with Acme - which was once the low price leader in the market.

IMO, ShopRite and sibling Fresh Grocer now hold that title. But I'm not sure that ShopRites are as thick on the ground in the Pennsylvania 'burbs as they are in the city and South Jersey. (New Jersey is the cooperative's birthplace and home still.)
One thing I liked about Giant was that they had great 10 for 10 deals on middle aisle items. They also used to offer several $1 off coupons in their circulars... not sure if they still that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia