Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 05:19 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,561,976 times

Advertisements

I find online ordering from Peapod.com (Giant) to be very useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,443,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Perhaps the family got a good package deal on that passel of former Winn-Dixies.

And FWIW, I'm not aware that the Tarheel State has a significant Hispanic population. I might be wrong.

Anyway, your note about Pathmark carrying Badia spices also suggests to me that Fresh Grocer is indeed a worthy successor. The La Salle store carries them, along with Mimi's, a line you often find in stores catering to Caribbean shoppers.
Hispanics in NC are as likely or possibly more likely to be Mexican. A new chain is forming in & near Charlotte. The owner is Mexican. There's some connection to Philadelphia, however. While waiting for a store near me to open I checked online. I don't read Spanish, but there was something about Philadelphia in the writeup that l found.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:57 PM

13,956 posts, read 8,816,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hispanics in NC are as likely or possibly more likely to be Mexican. A new chain is forming in & near Charlotte. The owner is Mexican. There's some connection to Philadelphia, however. While waiting for a store near me to open I checked online. I don't read Spanish, but there was something about Philadelphia in the writeup that l found.
Another possible factor in Compare's passing over this area:

the Supremo/Supreme supermarkets.

Granted, there are only two of them in the city - a third closed - but they're Hispanic-owned and cater to that population (even the one in University City). One of them is in Juniata Park, which has a sizable Hispanic population; it was one of two parts of the city to serve as harbingers of the end of its population slide by gaining residents in the 1980s (the other was Center City).

Old 01-19-2017, 09:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,670,953 times
Quote:
Lots of Mexicans in Phila.now. So that's not surprising.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Lots of Mexicans in Phila.now. So that's not surprising.
I googled the name of the mini chain & an address in Philadelphia popped up. I also found a reference in a Spanish language article.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 PM

21,004 posts, read 27,009,485 times
Quote:
I do suspect that Publix is headed for Philadelphia. I suspect that we'll know their intentions if they see Harris Teeter moving toward the Philadelphia market.
If Publix is aiming for Philadelphia, Kroger should take notice. Publix would need a distribution center in northern Virginia or Maryland to accommodate potential entry into Philadelphia.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Publix is aiming for Philadelphia, Kroger should take notice. Publix would need a distribution center in northern Virginia or Maryland to accommodate potential entry into Philadelphia.
They need a distribution center in NC before the Richmond stores open.

If they play their cards right, they could probably be opening stores in Philadelphia in 3 or 4 years, if they stick to the I 95 corridor. I think that one or the other will show up in Philadelphia. Kroger already showed an interest & Ahold Delhaize will be tied up with the mess that is Food Lion.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:21 PM

21,004 posts, read 27,009,485 times
Publix needs a distribution center in North Carolina indeed. I do not think one additional distribution center will be enough to serve stores in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix needs a distribution center in North Carolina indeed. I do not think one additional distribution center will be enough to serve stores in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.
One is a start. They lucked into a group of stores in Richmond. I don't think that they would have taken them without an intention to go further north. Timing is everything. They started into NC at Charlotte, & have procured sites around the state, but they grabbed the Richmond stores before having a single distribution center north of Georgia. Richmond is about halfway between Charlotte & Philadelphia. They're looking further north on the I 95 corridor. They know about the large group of Puerto Ricans in the Philadelphia market. The Ahold Delhaize merger means that Ahold will be preoccupied with their own mess (Food Lion) & after talks with A&P broke down neither Kroger nor their Harris Teeter division has made a move. There's room for someone else.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,683,396 times
I live in the suburbs and work off of Rittenhouse Square. As Acme has declined and Genuardi's disappeared, I find myself buying more and more at Rittenhouse Market. If Acme's having a sale on boneless, skinless chicken breast, good luck finding bone-in chicken breast that week. But generally, I can find the cuts of meat I want at RM, and they will get things from their stock that aren't on the shelf Just last week I asked for a tenderloin roast - they brought one right out for me. At Acme I'd have waited ten minutes to find a butcher, another ten while they checked their stock, and then they'd have come out and told me they didn't have any (this literally happened to me with the bone-in chicken breast).

For produce, I pop by Sue's produce Market on 18th street (across from Rittenhouse DiBrunos). Considering I can't get a fresh head of cauliflower that doesn't have black spots on it at Acme, I don't really have a choice.

RM is lacking in the varieties when it comes to canned goods, packaged goods, dry goods (toilet paper, trash bags, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia