Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 04:12 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The Simply Juice is $2.17 at Target and i was surprised when i bought two the total was $4.34. Seems like the beverage tax is only applied when i go to corner stores.
Read what I wrote again, and check the area around the "Nutrition Facts" label on the bottles you bought.

Given the product name, I will wager you bought 100% fruit juice.

Somewhere on that label - if nowhere else, above the "Nutrition Facts" panel - you should find the statement, "Contains 100% Juice."

Any product so labeled is (once again) not subject to the sweetened-beverage tax because the sweeteners in it naturally occur in the fruit.

If you find anything else above that panel - "Contains 50% Juice," "Contains 27% Juice" (a common ratio for many juice cocktails), "Contains 0% Juice" or any value under 100%, including 99.44% - then it contains added sweeteners if it's sweet and is subject to the tax. (Flavored seltzer water contains neither juice nor sweetners and because of the latter is not taxed.)

Most places bundle the sweetened-beverage tax into the shelf price and post labels informing you of this. Some stores post the amount of tax charged on those shelf-price tags.

The next time you go to Target or a supermarket, read the shelf tags and the product labels carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Lidl has put a temporary halt on construction. They opened a store in Vineland & were ready to start construction on a store in Mantua Twp when they called the halt. They had a major shakeup in upper-level management. When they get things straightened out, I would expect them to resume construction in the Philadelphia market.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:39 PM

Which Aldi stores have gotten the remodels? This came up in another thread. Since the remodels mean that the store closes down for a few weeks, I thought that it would be a good idea to know.

More than likely the former Bottom Dollars won't need it, or won't need an extensive remodel.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:52 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Which Aldi stores have gotten the remodels? This came up in another thread. Since the remodels mean that the store closes down for a few weeks, I thought that it would be a good idea to know.

More than likely the former Bottom Dollars won't need it, or won't need an extensive remodel.
46th and Market.

There's one at Front and Shunk(near Oregon Ave) in S. Philly. Dunno whether they remodeled that one.

All the Bottom Dollars here closed, I think.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
46th and Market.

There's one at Front and Shunk(near Oregon Ave) in S. Philly. Dunno whether they remodeled that one.

All the Bottom Dollars here closed, I think.
Thanks.

Food Lion shut down the Bottom Dollar division & sold the stores to Aldi. That happened so close in time to the announcement that 1300 of their 1600 stores would be remodeled that I doubt that those Aldis will be effected . They also went into California shortly before the announcement, so I doubt that they're included, since the remodels are driven by Lidl's arrival. They've know about Lidl's arrival for years, but didn't have details about the store plans, for this country, until shortly before Lidl started building, when Aldi announced the remodel plan, which is due to go on until 2020. Priority is going to locations that will go head to head with Lidl. I don't know if Lidl has resumed building in the Philadelphia market.

The good thing is that, after the remodel, there's a significant increase in inventory, in the stores.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks.

Food Lion shut down the Bottom Dollar division & sold the stores to Aldi. That happened so close in time to the announcement that 1300 of their 1600 stores would be remodeled that I doubt that those Aldis will be effected . They also went into California shortly before the announcement, so I doubt that they're included, since the remodels are driven by Lidl's arrival. They've know about Lidl's arrival for years, but didn't have details about the store plans, for this country, until shortly before Lidl started building, when Aldi announced the remodel plan, which is due to go on until 2020. Priority is going to locations that will go head to head with Lidl. I don't know if Lidl has resumed building in the Philadelphia market.

The good thing is that, after the remodel, there's a significant increase in inventory, in the stores.
Aldi bought half of the 66 Bottom Dollar stores from Delhaize (now Ahold Delhaize) when it shut down the chain.

All 33 stores needed to be remodeled to fit Aldi's floorplan and layout. Aldi stores have their entrances at one corner of the store; Bottom Dollar store entrances were closer to the center of the building fronts, with the walk-in-cooler produce departments to the right of the entrance. (I note with some interest that Aldi departs from the standard supermarket layout, which places the produce department just past the main entrance because it's the most colorful section of the store as well as the only section where customers can touch and handle fresh food before purchasing it. Aldi sends you through an aisle of cookies, crackers, chocolates, coffee and bread before you arrive at the produce section at the far end of the side of the store you walked into.)

It appears that the remaining 33 stores did eventually find buyers. The one near me, at Chew Avenue and Washington Lane, was the 66th and last Bottom Dollar Food store to open. It's now a Save-a-Lot. Save-a-Lot did very little to reconfigure the store save remove the walk-in produce cooler and put a regular produce section in its place - and remove the actual metal shelves (Aldi uses them too) in favor of just stacking the packing crates one atop the other as is the standard practice in most Save-a-Lot aisles.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Aldi bought half of the 66 Bottom Dollar stores from Delhaize (now Ahold Delhaize) when it shut down the chain.

All 33 stores needed to be remodeled to fit Aldi's floorplan and layout. Aldi stores have their entrances at one corner of the store; Bottom Dollar store entrances were closer to the center of the building fronts, with the walk-in-cooler produce departments to the right of the entrance. (I note with some interest that Aldi departs from the standard supermarket layout, which places the produce department just past the main entrance because it's the most colorful section of the store as well as the only section where customers can touch and handle fresh food before purchasing it. Aldi sends you through an aisle of cookies, crackers, chocolates, coffee and bread before you arrive at the produce section at the far end of the side of the store you walked into.)

It appears that the remaining 33 stores did eventually find buyers. The one near me, at Chew Avenue and Washington Lane, was the 66th and last Bottom Dollar Food store to open. It's now a Save-a-Lot. Save-a-Lot did very little to reconfigure the store save remove the walk-in produce cooler and put a regular produce section in its place - and remove the actual metal shelves (Aldi uses them too) in favor of just stacking the packing crates one atop the other as is the standard practice in most Save-a-Lot aisles.
The description I've used for years of Aldi's old shelving is that it looked like crazy Uncle Waldo went out back & built the shelves in the backyard. After the remodel, it's real adjustable metal shelves, but short enough that you don't have to be a basketball player to pluck items from the top shelf. The adjustable shelves allow them to significantly increase the stock.

Also the produce department is about 50% larger.

I never gave it much thought, but you're right about the produce placement, but I guess it didn't click with me because Pathmark had the produce in the center rear of their stores.

Aldi has 2 floorplans. One is exactly what you said. The other sends you passed cookies, bread, etc but the produce is at the end of that.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:09 PM

I didn't want to send another thread off track too badly. Time to dust this thread off.

I have no clue why Lidl opened a store in Vineland before locations closer to Philadelphia. They do have land in Philadelphia. My sister & brother-in-law went passed the Vineland store. There were a lot of picketers. The retail clerks union never bothered Aldi. Aldi & Lidl are paying $12 an hour.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
I don't know if this is relevant, but there are talks of a Wegmans in Marple/ Broomall.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I don't know if this is relevant, but there are talks of a Wegmans in Marple/ Broomall.
This is appropriate.

The 1st Wegmans is supposed to open in NC next year, in Raleigh. Allegedly, they are looking for sites in Charlotte. They have to find a site for a 2nd distribution center, which will depend on how far south they intend to go. That will make room to expand in the Philadelphia & Baltimore markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia