U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:42 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
To be frank here,if you're from the West you won't like the east. It's way more crowded,expensive,fast paced and the weather sucks. I've talked with people from out West and most of them either moved there from the east or moved back after living in the east.

Maybe he's the exception. I had friends come in from NM last year(13 people) 4 of them now live here in suburban Philly and the other 9 have all came back for a second visit and are thinking of living here.

Its an incredible area to live if you have the capacity to hold down a decent paying job, which I'm thinking may be your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,395,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Its an incredible area to live if you have the capacity to hold down a decent paying job, which I'm thinking may be your problem.
I have more character than to just prostitute my soul to the first corporation that offers me a cushy lifestyle in some phony suburb living around people that care only about themselves.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:46 PM

414 posts, read 2,439,460 times
Default Why bust on a great area

A lot of the stuff people say about an area being fast paced, people into themselves is kind of unwarranted.

You can live out west if you want -- the houses are often more expensive in a place like Denver with zero lot lines, no historic character, and you make low salaries.

Philadelphia suburbs are I think the best in the nation -- great historic houses, lots of acreage and land, beautiful, great restaurants, malls etc.

An area can be considered fast paced perhaps because you have felt rushed before on a job or because some people like to gun it on the Schuylkill Expressway. However most people drive like 60 to 65 on there which is normal, people are not always rushed in their jobs, and you arent under only as much pressure as you think you are.

Some people are into themselves because they have to work hard to make what they get and dont always have the time to meet people or make tons of friends. Do you expect some guy who just worked monday thru saturday to come out and shake your hand and smile at you doing sunday errands at home depot before using his off day to do work at home? Cut people somewhat of a break. We are a little bit more reserved than in other parts of the country but thats the style. There are insecure rude people everywhere who are nouveau riche or not rich for that matter.

Any area with a great economy, great opportunities, and a nice retail sector will have a certain flash element to it. It keeps different sectors healthy, attracts more money to the area.

Where else can you find the gracious historic farm houses and rolling hills like in the Philadelphia area or the old mansions? I want to work my a** off in this area so that when I get older I can have something here like that at home. You baby boomers make it hard on us young adults if housing prices stay like they are forever but I think most of us can manage and that will change.

Stuck you sound like people on the forum in North Carolina or other "dream places." Unless you are living in the countryside or an area with few or low paying jobs or some kind of tradeoff like say Savannah Georgia where home prices are very high and there arent many jobs, life is going to be pretty much the same. I've lived in France for a while in Paris -- coming back here is like a breath of fresh air. Do your best you can to be successful in your career but be content with what you have. The materialism here can sometimes be rampant -- I cant say Im not guilty myself

Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,395,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
A lot of the stuff people say about an area being fast paced, people into themselves is kind of unwarranted.

An area can be considered fast paced perhaps because you have felt rushed before on a job or because some people like to gun it on the Schuylkill Expressway. However most people drive like 60 to 65 on there which is normal, people are not always rushed in their jobs, and you arent under only as much pressure as you think you are.
So you are saying to people that the 'stress' they encounter at work is only their imagination? That their boss handing them deadlines and piling multiple duties on them expected to be completed in an unreasonable amount of time is imagined? Not everyone can 'fake' their way through a day of work and not everyone is of the elite where they indeed can.

Quote:
Do you expect some guy who just worked monday thru saturday to come out and shake your hand and smile at you doing sunday errands at home depot before using his off day to do work at home?
In the south and midwest they do. And they don't have to shake hands but they most certainly don't have to try and run everyone down at the same time.

Quote:
Where else can you find the gracious historic farm houses and rolling hills like in the Philadelphia area or the old mansions? You baby boomers make it hard on us young adults if housing prices stay like they are forever but I think most of us can manage and that will change.
You can find plenty of 'gracious historic farm houses and rolling hills' in many parts of the country,not just here. But I suppose if one decides they like an area there's nothing that can change that either.
As for the 'baby boomer' comment,I may indeed sound like a baby boomer,due to the fact I have associated with people of that generation most of my life and have been lucky enough to collect some enlightenment,however agewise I'd probably be considered somewhere in between.

Quote:
Stuck you sound like people on the forum in North Carolina or other "dream places."
As I had mentioned on one of the other forums here,since having lived in and experiencing the people in other areas,I noticed the vast difference when I returned here. I suppose I can say I'm somewhat of an idealist in wanting an area that fits me best,this obviously not being it.

You pretty much hit it when you said I sound like the people from the country forums because that's what I am-a country person through and through stuck in a rat race I don't even care to be a part of. The big problem is then I am indeed stuck,for the time being at least.Being married to a 'city girl' I now have to sacrifice some things on that account.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:24 AM

34 posts, read 154,015 times
I'm born and raised Philadelphian. Philadelphia is a great city! Fast paced, cultural, very high tech, with lots of historical places to visit. It's fast becoming a tourist town again. However, I would suggest moving to the Montgomery County area, a suburb of Philly. Phiadelphia is an interesting city in that you can drive 20 minutes north or west and be in the most beautiful countryside and horse farms. Nothing like Center City! Before you move I would plan a visit in late spring and summer. It's a "touristy" time of the year but you can beat the festivals, concerts, and the atmosphere of "Brotherly Love"! Hope this helps and the best of luck!

Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 PM

414 posts, read 2,439,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
So you are saying to people that the 'stress' they encounter at work is only their imagination? That their boss handing them deadlines and piling multiple duties on them expected to be completed in an unreasonable amount of time is imagined? Not everyone can 'fake' their way through a day of work and not everyone is of the elite where they indeed can.
Stress is a real part of work. I just wouldnt say its anymore fastpaced or more work in Philadelphia, PA than in Northbrook, Illinois or Los Angeles, California or even in Raleigh-Durham North Carolina for that matter. Everyone deals with stress. They do their best to adhere to these unreasonable deadlines and duties delegate where they can and give the boss a realistic picture of where things stand and what can get done. You can only do your best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or