U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 PM

175 posts, read 1,089,434 times

Advertisements

Is Philly a descent place to live,is it cheaper in the city of the suburbs, and also is it affordable compared to Albuquerque or the southwest.What are the apartments like,are they all in high rise buildings,we dont have houses that look like they do in Philly.I have never been to the East Coast.Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 09:34 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,269 times
Since I don't know anything about the cost of living in Albuquerque, I can't help you with that. Living in center city is expensive (although less than some other large cities), but in my opinion the best place to live. That is where you will find most of the high rises. There are many areas outside of center city and the living style varies. The best thing to do is come here and check out the city and surrounding areas. Or post more about what you are looking for. Where you will be working, any school-aged kids, etc. I hope you enjoy living here whatever you decide.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,773,912 times
I've spent alot of time in New Mexico. Great state, great place to live. That being said I was glad to finally make it back to the east coast due to the incredible oppurtunities that exist here.Not disparaging NM but there is just more going on up here in the Northeast.For example theres probably 25-30 different concerts going on tonight in the area. Orchestra,theatre,concerts, Sixers, Army-Navy,Flyers, 6 different college basketball teams playing in the city today. Incredible restaurants,museums, amazing recreational trails and parks.

The cost of living is much higher compared to NM though. I remember while going to UNM I rented a beautiful 1 bedroom apartment in Albuquerque for $500 bucks a month. That same quality apartment would go for $1200 in Center City and $800 bucks out in the suburbs.. You can find cheaper apartments around , they just won't be as nice. But the Philly area presents you with the oppurtunity to make alot more money and gives you alot more entertainment options to spend that money.

Compared to the Southwest US, Philadelphia isn't cheap. Compared to NYC,Bos and Washington Philly is very affordable.

IMO Center City, University City, or Manayunk is the way to go if you are young or single. The suburbs -which more closely resemble Albuquerque- might be the way to go if you are married with kids. The city itself will be a culture shock for you, the denseness of the city will blow you away. In some instances it will be a WOW this is amazing beautiful type shock, in other areas of the city just the complete opposite.

To answer your question yes Philadelphia area is a decent place to live. Someone suggested checking in with www.phillyblog.com (broken link) if you are really serious.Thats a great board for newcomers.

GL.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 PM

12 posts, read 72,179 times
Default Philly is Outstanding!!!

I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I lived most of my adult years in center city Philadelphia and loved it. I moved to an island over 4 years ago in NJ and have never stopped missing Philly. Since I live on an island it is really pretty great...but living in center city was better. I lived at 9th & Spruce and 19th & Pine. I loved each neighborhood. So many opportunities, good pay, housing is decent considering pay is good in Philly. Good Luck! You will be an hour from the beach, the mountains, and two hours from NYC or DC. What a killer location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
Is Philly a descent place to live,is it cheaper in the city of the suburbs, and also is it affordable compared to Albuquerque or the southwest.What are the apartments like,are they all in high rise buildings,we dont have houses that look like they do in Philly.I have never been to the East Coast.Any info would be great.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:11 PM

8 posts, read 55,048 times
We moved over a year ago from San Diego -- just before the housing crash hah hah! We love the suburbs of Philly. Gorgeous historical towns where everyone goes to football games...great schools...kind of like the midwest where I grew up...but close to Philly's cultural resources, politics, and the entire East Coast. A perfect place to live. We like Delaware County because it's near tax-free shopping in Delaware. The cost of housing is higher the New Mexico, but well worth it. If you're in town feel free to be in touch and I'll give you a tour...transitioning across country can be difficult.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 PM

175 posts, read 1,089,434 times
Default Im the one that posted the Thread

Well Im not looking to live in the city center but in a descent safe cheap neighborhood.It would be me and my girlfriend,no kids so we are looking at an apartment.The city and surrounding areas are so big I dont know where to start.I am a mind my businees kind of person and we keep to ourselves but love sports games.Im leaning towards Philly because its a large city close to many other cities and its on the East Coast.That there is a whole other world to me even though I've never seen the place.What is the pay in Philly.I dont have the greatest of jobs but it gets me by just great here and am hoping at attending a small hands on college in Philly.How is the crime?What is the weather like in the winter and does it snow alot?

Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,773,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
Well Im not looking to live in the city center but in a descent safe cheap neighborhood.It would be me and my girlfriend,no kids so we are looking at an apartment.The city and surrounding areas are so big I dont know where to start.I am a mind my businees kind of person and we keep to ourselves but love sports games.Im leaning towards Philly because its a large city close to many other cities and its on the East Coast.That there is a whole other world to me even though I've never seen the place.What is the pay in Philly.I dont have the greatest of jobs but it gets me by just great here and am hoping at attending a small hands on college in Philly.How is the crime?What is the weather like in the winter and does it snow alot?
Jan-Feb-March usually we will get 7 or 8 storms come through. The snowfall is about 30" a year. Winter temps are in the 30's during the day teens at night.

April -50's/60's May 60's/70's Summer 80's/90's for highs.

Crime is very low in the suburbs.

Depending on what type of job you get, pay can vary widely. What type of work would you be looking for?, I can give you a better idea. Your average blue collar worker can make anywhere between $12-$25 an hour. If you are a licensed electrician,plumber, construction you would make considerably more.

From the areas Im familiar with I would suggest looking in Media,West Chester,King of Prussia or Plymouth Meeting.

www.4wallsinphilly (broken link) is a good site to give you an idea what apartments are going for in this area. The Philly area is made up of the following counties.
Pennsylvania-Philadelphia,Montgomery,Chester,Delaware,Bucks,

Nw Jersey-Camden, Burlington, Gloucester, Mercer

Delaware-New castle

Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 18,839 times
Default Don't move unless you have no choice

I am a native of PA, but have lived in several states. Moved to Philladelphia in 2002 for a job. Yikes. While there are some nice areas - namely Chester County - the taxes are outrageous and housing costs inflated. Prepare for sticker shock, especially if you move into the city. Auto insurance is really high and the got-to-love-it wage tax of 4+ percent. You even get slammed with it if you commute into the city (3.77%). All for crappy city services and blow-hard politicians milking the gravy train. But for my wife, I'd be outa here like a flash. Hey, there are some nice aspects, but just know what you are getting into moving here.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 AM

3,653 posts, read 4,624,694 times
I'm a Philadelphian thinking of moving to Albuquerque.

Apartments: no definitely not all in high-rise buildings. Many, if not, most, are in row-houses (town-houses, whatever you want to call them) converted into apartments.

I can't really help much with possible neighborhoods, since I have only lived in apartments in or very close to center city. You will tend to get more for your money away from center city.

Cost of living is higher here, but salaries will generally be higher as well.

The worst crime is mostly concentrated in specific areas which will be easy enough to avoid. I've lived here since 1989 and haven't been mugged or had an apartment broken into, but of course those things aren't unheard of. I'm not saying it's strictly safe, but the risk of crime is often exaggerated. (Or maybe I've just been lucky.)

A good place to look for apartment listings is in the Phialdelphia Weekly. (I don't think they include apartment ads in the online version, however.)

I forgot weather. It sure seems to be staying warmer for more months each year. We still do get some snow, sometimes heavy snow, but we don't get as much as what I remember from the 70s and early 80s. (I don't know whether the weather records would actually support that impression.)

It can get very unpleasantly humid here. There was even one day in November when the weather was so warm and humid that it seemed like I was breathing soup rather than air.

This is a bad city for people with allergies, asthma and sinus problems. I've met a number of transplants who have said they never had allergy or sinus problems until they moved to this area. (This is the number one reason I want to move.)

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 12-15-2006 at 10:44 AM..

Old 12-18-2006, 02:30 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,395,037 times
To be frank here,if you're from the West you won't like the east. It's way more crowded,expensive,fast paced and the weather sucks. I've talked with people from out West and most of them either moved there from the east or moved back after living in the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or