Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:38 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This is so funny yet sadly true. Europe has always been more fashion forward then the states. I always see such sad outfits when I leave my NYC bubble.
The first time I went to Europe, which was over 30 years ago, I wanted to burn/toss everything in my closet...my whole wardrobe...once I got back. I was so knocked out by what I saw over there with what people were wearing.

And I was more fashion conscious than many of my peers back then. Just to illustrate I probably had 50 pairs of shoes in those days and I wore all of them.

I was the most impressed with how people dressed in Munich and Milan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,844 times
It looks good in some people.Usually slender people

Old 02-16-2017, 04:59 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Cutting edge fashion trends are common up to about 60 in Europe, maybe 50 in big American cities .

In the rest of the US, if you are over 35 or have more than one child, wearing anything but khakis, a tucked in polo shirt straining over your gut, and white sneakers with white socks (think Jake from State Farm), you are considered an insufferable hipster :-)
But those men are usually the happiest because they don't give a **** what anybody thinks of their 'wardrobe.' No pressure=No worries.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
But those men are usually the happiest because they don't give a **** what anybody thinks of their 'wardrobe.' No pressure=No worries.
I find those who pay attention to what they wear have confidence and feel alive, which usually has a positive impact on happiness. Although both of our opinions are generalizations.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:27 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I find those who pay attention to what they wear have confidence and feel alive, which usually has a positive impact on happiness. Although both of our opinions are generalizations.
Completely agree... same with staying fit and in general caring about presentation of self.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:45 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Completely agree... same with staying fit and in general caring about presentation of self.
You may be mistaking that for arrogance and an inflated sense of self-worth.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The first time I went to Europe, which was over 30 years ago, I wanted to burn/toss everything in my closet...my whole wardrobe...once I got back. I was so knocked out by what I saw over there with what people were wearing.

And I was more fashion conscious than many of my peers back then. Just to illustrate I probably had 50 pairs of shoes in those days and I wore all of them.

I was the most impressed with how people dressed in Munich and Milan.
Correct. People in Europe and Asia are more fashion forward.
In the US, there are only pockets of regions where people are more fashion forward.
NYC is one of them, as Cpomp can attest. And Miami is another one, as I can attest.
This is the reason certain retails, such as ZARA, are struggling in Philly since it is not the most fashion sensitive area. Especially once one ventures out off Center City.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:48 AM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times

Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Yeah, the socks....

But mostly I'm seeing this guy's scuffed shoes. Ugh.... He's got one pair(probably) and wears them every day... Eh....

Old 02-23-2017, 05:05 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
I see this look daily. Usually a slim guy in his 20s/30s, dark pants that look like they are too short, shiny brown shoes, brightly colored socks. I don't care for the too-short pants but do like the dark pants/brown shoe look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: