Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:40 PM

252 posts, read 234,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Back when I lived in the city, I saw someone throw a plastic bag full of trash out their car window at a red light on Market St. I took their license plate number and reported it to police, I don't know if they did anything about it though... I wanted to get out of my car and take the trash and stick it back thru their window, but I could have gotten shot, you never know these days.
Deplorable. Yeah I wouldn't have advised that but I understand your desire to do so!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
My older sister does the same thing on her block in W. Philly.

It's not a waste of time. What kind of lazy mentality is that?! You care about the environment and the esthetics in your neighborhood! It's a good thing.

Good for her! Regarding your comment about Fairmount area..to me it felt too cut off from center city but that's just my opinion! I do like the fact that I can be in Rittenhouse, south st etc within a few blocks.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
OP - If you'd consider moving, there are very nice parts of NE Philly that may help change how you feel.

FBR's post makes me happy.
Well as much as I have complained here on my original post about this area I do enjoy being so close to the areas that I really like....NE would be too far from downtown for me..and my favorite stomping grounds... but that's just personal preference. In 3 ys I've only driven through the NE once! I assume that's where you live

Old 02-22-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Growing up in Philly I used to be embarrassed of my Mom picking up trash all the time in public, often stuffing it into the back of our station wagon if nothing else available. Now I appreciate people like that so much. She still calls people out when she sees littering LOL.
Hahaha. I like your mom

Old 02-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
I mean just TWO days ago the weather was FANTASTIC and a preview of the spring/summer. It was great to be out and about, and a ton of people were! That's the energy I love about the city. Your location is also pretty good IMO. Nice long walk to S. river trail or Rittenhouse or South Street. Yes it's cold now, but the preview over this past weekend got me enthusiastic.
It's true the location is pretty good! My husband and I just took advantage of the river trail during the fantastic weather the other day and we love being so close to rittenhouse and south st. Etc. I guess I wish I was just even closer! Maybe someday.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:08 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Why, because he doesn't like it in Philly?
It's not that I don't like it. It's that I don't like it as much as I thought I would before moving here.

I probably like it more now than I ever have, truth be told, but I feel less stuck than I did a few years ago. In that I know I'm going to leave, and I could leave now if I really wanted, but it would be more beneficial for me to leave a little later. And it's just a waiting game until then.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:45 PM

151 posts, read 199,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Because they don't want to hold on to it and they know there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. Not sure how long you've been in philly but nothing shocks me here. I will never forget my first week living here and seeing a mother and child just dumping a car full of trash onto the street while stopped at a light.

The trash is one area where philly deserves its poor reputation IMO. The culture is so ingrained so I don't see it changing unless the City starts imposing absurdly high penalties for liter. This is something I would be in favor of.
I've been here 3 years, but I wouldn't find it surprising...just completely absurd. I wasn't raised surrounded by a litter culture. "Nothing anyone can do to stop them" = take away the can. Which would be unfortunate but I'm not maintaining a can that is being misused.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytransplant13 View Post
Yeah, we'll see if people respect it. I don't know why you'd need to throw your household trash out in a public can, given that you can use literally any bag available and put out on the curb on trash day.
They were walking small bags out every day on their way to their vehicles, then they didn't have to put anything out on trash night. Weird.
The angry husband dumped a whole load of heavy text books in it ...

Old 02-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Because they don't want to hold on to it and they know there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. Not sure how long you've been in philly but nothing shocks me here. I will never forget my first week living here and seeing a mother and child just dumping a car full of trash onto the street while stopped at a light.

The trash is one area where philly deserves its poor reputation IMO. The culture is so ingrained so I don't see it changing unless the City starts imposing absurdly high penalties for liter. This is something I would be in favor of.
Some people are just pigs ... I must have dumped trash on peoples houses and cars at least a dozen times over the years. I'm trying to no longer do that ...

Old 02-22-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
NE would ld be too far from downtown for me..and my favorite stomping grounds... but that's just personal preference. In 3 ys I've only driven through the NE once! I assume that's where you live
Not at all ... too far from Chinatown, Center City and Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia