U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:21 AM

10,789 posts, read 6,713,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Coincidentally, on my way to the parking garage, I almost made a wrong turn, though it may have looked like I was driving under the influence, and within a few seconds, there was a cop car flashing their lights behind me. I pulled over, the cop just shone his flashlight into the car and when he saw the kids, he waved us off.

It's possible that cops have given up on the kids, or there is nothing they can do as long as they are not committing any crime. My concern is that of a parent. The last thing I want is my kids roaming around in center city at night.
Tbh, I kinda laughed when I read the last sentence. I grew up in a home with rules. There was a huge expectation that I follow those rules. I did most of the time. But make no mistake, from the time I was 14/15 I was plotting about how and when I could reasonably expect to escape parental supervision.

As I said there was an active curfew in the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 02:13 PM

1,518 posts, read 1,030,466 times
I've told my kids they have a few more years of obeying our rules, after which, they will have the rest of their lives to do whatever they wanted. High school is just 4 yrs and then one has 6 decades of their "freedom" to do as they please.

I've also made it clear to them that once they go to college they are on their own and there is no returning back home. Wifey and I also want to enjoy our freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Tbh, I kinda laughed when I read the last sentence. I grew up in a home with rules. There was a huge expectation that I follow those rules. I did most of the time. But make no mistake, from the time I was 14/15 I was plotting about how and when I could reasonably expect to escape parental supervision.

As I said there was an active curfew in the city.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:12 PM

10,789 posts, read 6,713,821 times
Quote:
I've told my kids they have a few more years of obeying our rules, after which, they will have the rest of their lives to do whatever they wanted. High school is just 4 yrs and then one has 6 decades of their "freedom" to do as they please.

I've also made it clear to them that once they go to college they are on their own and there is no returning back home. Wifey and I also want to enjoy our freedom
Good. Sounds about what happened in my immediate family except I took the freedom part even further. No kids. No spouse. No anyone but me in my living space. Well... if gay people had been able to marry when I was younger I might have changed the "no spouse" thing.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:03 PM

29,671 posts, read 28,762,646 times
Marrying someone and having kids isn't always the sweetest deal.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:32 PM

11,992 posts, read 11,370,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
We have discussed this before. The PPD seems to be "allergic" wrt getting out of patrol cars and walking around. If something happens they are on the scene very quickly. But I'm somewhere in Center City, or adjacent neighborhoods, every single day and
I swear I do not see cops-on-bikes or the like most of the time. To be clear I'm not trying to shade Philly cops.

Cpomp is absolutely right about the visibility of the NYPD.
Yeah-it is overkill. NYPD on every single corner in Manhattan, feels like an occupying army. I much prefer the atmosphere of Center City.
Where I live I see Cops (in car and on bike) constantly though.

As Steve Lopez said in a video I watched recently-hiring more Cops to help reduce crime is like hiring more ambulance drivers to help cure cancer.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:34 AM

1,623 posts, read 954,487 times
It's definitely true that the NYPD is far more visible on its turf, especially in Midtown. But also remember too, the NYPD is something like 34,000 sworn officers, and they patrol the capital of the world chalk full of tourists from every corner of the earth.

That being said, kybo1 is right. You never see a cop on foot just patrolling around...anywhere. The least they could do is be on foot around Center City. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything with them though. They are probably one of the most rampantly corrupt police forces in the country, and getting out of their patrol cars means having to interact with people more. More interaction creates the potential for more conflict, and cops seem to be afraid of this because they don't want to be filmed doing something they shouldn't and end up in prison.

I don't think I've ever seen a SEPTA cop down in the subway who didn't have his head buried in his phone. They are totally oblivious to what is going on around them.

Last edited by MB1562; 03-01-2017 at 06:46 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 06:29 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,030,466 times
The NYPD presence in Manhattan related to terrorism rather than security. The officers are usually armed to the teeth.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:46 AM

1,623 posts, read 954,487 times
Quote:
The NYPD presence in Manhattan related to terrorism rather than security. The officers are usually armed to the teeth.
Partly but not completely. Manhattan is big-time tourism, and lots of cops around make the (mostly) clueless suburbanites feel safer and spend their money more. A lot of them are heavily armed with AR-15s and full tactical gear, but you also see just a lot of normal cops as well.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:06 AM

7,318 posts, read 6,410,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yeah-it is overkill. NYPD on every single corner in Manhattan, feels like an occupying army. I much prefer the atmosphere of Center City.

As Steve Lopez said in a video I watched recently-hiring more Cops to help reduce crime is like hiring more ambulance drivers to help cure cancer.

I guess that is personal preference, I love having a strong police presence, makes me feel safe and also most definitely has a positive effect on the crime rate, look at how safe NYC has become. Also, these cops never bother anyone they just roam around the city or stay in a stationed point, nothing intimidating or controlling about it in my eyes. The heavily armed officers are pretty much confined to Grand Center, Penn Station, Time Square, Trump buildings, and the UN area, the remainder of Manhattan is police in normal gear.

I know NYC requires another level of security for many reasons, but incidents like the flash mobs on Chestnut St, the stolen railing on Broad St, and the other high profile crimes in CC, you best believe that would not have happened and doesn't happen in Midtown due to the presence of police.

And in response to the Steve Lopez video, maybe you posted that as a joke, but NYC crime rates speak for themselves...

Old 03-01-2017, 07:33 AM

504 posts, read 314,963 times
Have you seen NYC crime rates compared to other big cities (including ours), you may want to revisit your stance, Steve Lopez is dead wrong there is a reason I can walk Brooklyn and the Bronx now after dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia