U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 AM

829 posts, read 400,344 times

Advertisements

That metaphore is completely ridiculous. Visible police presence has a direct effect on crime in a place like CC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:28 AM

10,789 posts, read 6,664,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yeah-it is overkill. NYPD on every single corner in Manhattan, feels like an occupying army. I much prefer the atmosphere of Center City.
Where I live I see Cops (in car and on bike) constantly though.

As Steve Lopez said in a video I watched recently-hiring more Cops to help reduce crime is like hiring more ambulance drivers to help cure cancer.
NYPD are not on every corner. Go to the Upper East Side (Madison, Park, Lexington....) for instance...you'll go blocks without seeing them. But they are pretty ominpresent in mid-town where so many tourists are.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

I don't think I've ever seen a SEPTA cop down in the subway who didn't have his head buried in his phone. They are totally oblivious to what is going on around them.
Example: I slipped and fell on wet tile flooring in a BSL station earlier this week. A young woman helped me get up. A SEPTA cop who was pretty much right next to me didn't budge and said nothing. I'm tough and able-bodied so I wasn't really hurt but still....

Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 AM

11,990 posts, read 11,332,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
That metaphore is completely ridiculous. Visible police presence has a direct effect on crime in a place like CC.
Police are mostly reactionary though; They arrive after the fact. I am not faulting them-that's just how it is when most violent crime is either domestic or between acquaintances often involved in the drug trade.

Ending the War on "Drugs" would be a major solution in curbing violent crime-if that is not addressed, just adding more Police to the mix is very similar to "hiring more ambulance drivers to cure cancer". Legalization also allows Police focus to be on violent crime instead of petty drug crime-which clogs up their time and resources, our prisons and our courts. A violent criminal today often serves less time than a repeat drug offender. In fact today, murders are going unsolved at record rates (despite reductions in violent crime, advances in forensics and DNA technology) because Police are mainly concerned with petty drug crime-which brings in the most revenue for the state and allows the state to seize all assets from the "suspect".

I agree in CC police presence can be a deterrent for weird things like flash mobs and whatnot.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I guess that is personal preference, I love having a strong police presence, makes me feel safe and also most definitely has a positive effect on the crime rate, look at how safe NYC has become. Also, these cops never bother anyone they just roam around the city or stay in a stationed point, nothing intimidating or controlling about it in my eyes. The heavily armed officers are pretty much confined to Grand Center, Penn Station, Time Square, Trump buildings, and the UN area, the remainder of Manhattan is police in normal gear.

I know NYC requires another level of security for many reasons, but incidents like the flash mobs on Chestnut St, the stolen railing on Broad St, and the other high profile crimes in CC, you best believe that would not have happened and doesn't happen in Midtown due to the presence of police.

And in response to the Steve Lopez video, maybe you posted that as a joke, but NYC crime rates speak for themselves...
I would like to see a better and obvious police presence in CC. But I don't think you've ever been profiled by any cop so most are great, in your opinion.

I have been profiled. The driving-while-black thing. Happened twice in Upper Darby which means that I avoid it like the plague. I do have to make transit connections at 69th St. sometimes but I never leave the terminal.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:54 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,021,736 times
It's possible this is the same posse of kids whom I encountered on S 15th street. Only this time it was a group of hundreds of kids

Police officer injured responding to teen mob in Center City

It sounds like this is a regular occurrence

Quote:
SEPTA Police Chief Thomas J. Nestel III said his officers made 10 arrests.

"It was a half day for schools today but we have this problem every day. Today was admittedly the worst that I have seen," Nestel said.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
It's possible this is the same posse of kids whom I encountered on S 15th street. Only this time it was a group of hundreds of kids

Police officer injured responding to teen mob in Center City

It sounds like this is a regular occurrence
It seems to be(regular occurrence) right now. We've had this kind of problem before especially when social media first became popular. It abated. Now it's back again. Sigh.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,021,736 times
Frisco, we have a problem. Apparently the Philly teens have nothing on these Oakland teenage mobsters. They jacked passengers on the BART.

BART takeover robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders - SFGate

These type of subway robberies are common in Spain, instead carried out by adult thugs rather than teens. I was once attacked in the subway in Barcelona in full view of the public but they got nothing from me since I had taken precaution and kept my all valuables inside my jacket pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It seems to be(regular occurrence) right now. We've had this kind of problem before especially when social media first became popular. It abated. Now it's back again. Sigh.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 AM

4,130 posts, read 8,110,846 times
Parents are in jail or on heroin

Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 7,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Frisco, we have a problem. Apparently the Philly teens have nothing on these Oakland teenage mobsters. They jacked passengers on the BART.

BART takeover robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders - SFGate

These type of subway robberies are common in Spain, instead carried out by adult thugs rather than teens. I was once attacked in the subway in Barcelona in full view of the public but they got nothing from me since I had taken precaution and kept my all valuables inside my jacket pocket.
Honor roll Asians out causing problems again? What, no!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia