U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:01 PM

1,507 posts, read 997,314 times

Advertisements

I was at the avenue of arts for a show and I parked my car at the garage on S 15th street. After the show, while exiting the garage there was a large crowd of high schoolers in the alley involved in a melee or in some sort of commotion. A couple of guys did not have their shirts and and there were kids running all over the place shouting.

I didn't feel threatened because it didn't look like something serious was going on and it didn't look like they were having fun either, although my kids were a bit frightened.

This made me wonder is why are there so many kids out at night in the city. It was close to 10 pm. I don't think I've seen this anywhere else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM

7,172 posts, read 6,247,389 times
Was this during the warm weather streak? that could very well be why.

Not suggesting that those teens were up to no good, but in case they were I've said many times, Philadelphia (especially CC) does not have an adequate police presence. There should be a police officer on every major block in CC at all times. I must pass by a dozen policemen in Midtown Manhattan when I walk 10 minutes to Trader Joes.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:55 PM

10,789 posts, read 6,571,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Not suggesting that those teens were up to no good, but in case they were I've said many times, Philadelphia (especially CC) does not have an adequate police presence. There should be a police officer on every major block in CC at all times. I must pass by a dozen policemen in Midtown Manhattan when I walk 10 minutes to Trader Joes.
Dunno know what's going on now but I read last year that the PPD was down at least 200 officers and people leaving because of retirements is surely not helping. Homicide clear rates are down recently because they just do not have the man power.

As far as these kids are concerned, I did my share of stupid stuff when I was teen. Yes, like sneaking out of the house late at night especially once I got my driver's licence. Suburban life was boring to me and, man I couldn't wait to get away from that so I did "act out" to a degree.

Anyhow not sure if the city still has a curfew. If, yes, it needs to be enforced.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I was at the avenue of arts for a show and I parked my car at the garage on S 15th street. After the show, while exiting the garage there was a large crowd of high schoolers in the alley involved in a melee or in some sort of commotion. A couple of guys did not have their shirts and and there were kids running all over the place shouting.

I didn't feel threatened because it didn't look like something serious was going on and it didn't look like they were having fun either, although my kids were a bit frightened.

This made me wonder is why are there so many kids out at night in the city. It was close to 10 pm. I don't think I've seen this anywhere else.
You've never seen kids out past 10pm anywhere? I find that hard to believe.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM

College kids, yes.

High schoolers, not in the numbers that I witnessed.

Even in suburbia, you will find just a handful of high schoolers monkeying around in the neighborhood. This was a crowd of almost 30 kids. May be more. And in the middle of a city center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You've never seen kids out past 10pm anywhere? I find that hard to believe.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:18 PM

770 posts, read 377,738 times
It does seem like an increase in police presence would be the answer.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 PM

Coincidentally, on my way to the parking garage, I almost made a wrong turn, though it may have looked like I was driving under the influence, and within a few seconds, there was a cop car flashing their lights behind me. I pulled over, the cop just shone his flashlight into the car and when he saw the kids, he waved us off.

It's possible that cops have given up on the kids, or there is nothing they can do as long as they are not committing any crime. My concern is that of a parent. The last thing I want is my kids roaming around in center city at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,542,746 times
I have seen kids as young as 2 or 3 (and others who were considerably older - school age but not old enough to be on their own) being toted around Walmart at 3 a.m. and running around/playing on/with everything while parents wandered around as though it was 3 p.m. They didn't seem at all tired or sick and the parents shopping carts were full of toys and candy and 'stuff' so I am guessing the parents were not there just to pick up an emergency prescription. I would guess that it all starts in the home .. without a good routine, good example and good rules. As soon as the kids can go out on their own, I am guessing (again that) the same parents must see nothing wrong with them doing so at all hours of the night.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:57 PM

15,861 posts, read 11,542,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

Maybe Congress has cut off funds for midnight basketball.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It does seem like an increase in police presence would be the answer.
We have discussed this before. The PPD seems to be "allergic" wrt getting out of patrol cars and walking around. If something happens they are on the scene very quickly. But I'm somewhere in Center City, or adjacent neighborhoods, every single day and
I swear I do not see cops-on-bikes or the like most of the time. To be clear I'm not trying to shade Philly cops.

Cpomp is absolutely right about the visibility of the NYPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia