Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,127 times

Advertisements

Hello, thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

My company wants to transfer me to their King of Prussia office and send me back to graduate school in Philadelphia.

My husband and I are going out next week to check out the area and make sure it will be a good fit. I want to explore the suburbs and would love advice as to what neighborhoods to check out.

Before answering the standard questions, here is the important stuff to me. I don't want to spend more than an hour commuting to Philly or KOP. We ideally want to be within 90 minutes of a decent rod & gun club that hosts USPSA and 3 gun matches (extra bonus if there is a sporting clay range). We are looking to rent and have a 50 lbs dog (yard would be nice but not necessary). I make about $55k, my husband is currently unemployed and would be looking for work anyway when we move, so I don't want to count on him contributing towards our expenses right away.

Answers to the pinned questions:

When are you moving? - Probably late this summer/early fall, possibly next spring.
Where are you coming from? - Glendale AZ (west side of Phoenix metro)
Why are you moving? - work, see above
Where will you be working? - King of Prussia, school in downtown Philadelphia
Have you been here yet? - yes, but only for short work trips. Going next week to scope out the area.

Will you buy or rent? - Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? - N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? - Ideally, I'd like to be in the suburbs, in a townhouse/condo or small house. My ideal goal is to find something on the ground floor, at least two bedrooms, for no more than $1000 per month.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? - I really don't want anything that is not on the ground floor.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? - PA suburb only, will not consider NJ.
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? - married, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? - N/A
Do you have pets? - yes, a dog 50 lbs, and a declawed cat
Do you want or need a yard? - I'd love a small yard, but not necessary
Are you keeping a car? - yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? - calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to? - work/school/gun range
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion, etc. - Don't care. I'm more concerned with cost effective and transportation, low crime would be nice.

My boss suggested looking at the transit lines when considering neighborhoods, for ease of getting to and from school in Philly. I'm assuming this is SEPTA?

Any other suggestions? Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,717,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxtophilly2017 View Post
Hello, thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

My company wants to transfer me to their King of Prussia office and send me back to graduate school in Philadelphia.

My husband and I are going out next week to check out the area and make sure it will be a good fit. I want to explore the suburbs and would love advice as to what neighborhoods to check out.

Before answering the standard questions, here is the important stuff to me. I don't want to spend more than an hour commuting to Philly or KOP. We ideally want to be within 90 minutes of a decent rod & gun club that hosts USPSA and 3 gun matches (extra bonus if there is a sporting clay range). We are looking to rent and have a 50 lbs dog (yard would be nice but not necessary). I make about $55k, my husband is currently unemployed and would be looking for work anyway when we move, so I don't want to count on him contributing towards our expenses right away.

Answers to the pinned questions:

When are you moving? - Probably late this summer/early fall, possibly next spring.
Where are you coming from? - Glendale AZ (west side of Phoenix metro)
Why are you moving? - work, see above
Where will you be working? - King of Prussia, school in downtown Philadelphia
Have you been here yet? - yes, but only for short work trips. Going next week to scope out the area.

Will you buy or rent? - Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? - N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? - Ideally, I'd like to be in the suburbs, in a townhouse/condo or small house. My ideal goal is to find something on the ground floor, at least two bedrooms, for no more than $1000 per month.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? - I really don't want anything that is not on the ground floor.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? - PA suburb only, will not consider NJ.
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? - married, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? - N/A
Do you have pets? - yes, a dog 50 lbs, and a declawed cat
Do you want or need a yard? - I'd love a small yard, but not necessary
Are you keeping a car? - yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? - calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to? - work/school/gun range
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion, etc. - Don't care. I'm more concerned with cost effective and transportation, low crime would be nice.

My boss suggested looking at the transit lines when considering neighborhoods, for ease of getting to and from school in Philly. I'm assuming this is SEPTA?

Any other suggestions? Thank you very much!
Others will likely chime in but, imo, you may have a difficult time finding suitable housing with your commute criteria and housing budget. However if you tell us what grad school you plan on attending that might narrow down, geographically, what area might work. And, yes, Septa, is the mass transet agency.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,537,376 times
For your budget, Norristown, if you are lucky. It's close to KOP and you can take the train into the city. But for $1,000, you're not going to get a 2 bed in a decent area. You may have to increase your housing budget.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:42 PM

744 posts, read 771,292 times
Your budget is pretty tough especially with 2 bedrooms. You should keep in mind that will take much longer to travel short distances here than it will in PHX. You COULD probably find something in Norristown but Norristown can be pretty rough so be careful. Might try looking in Bridgeport. If you consider 1 bedroom apartments you might be able to find something in Conshohocken. Unfortunately having a big dog will limit your options pretty greatly. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:38 PM

400 posts, read 422,589 times
Try the search feature you are not the 1st one to ask the question.
See this thread it has some good info in it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...s-suburbs.html

Be prepared for hot HUMID weather in Philly compared to what you are used to. I am in Scottsdale now for the winter enjoying your beautiful weather. Also you are moving into the old section of the county be prepared for congestion, tolls on the roads and bridges, lack of HOV lanes, great food!

Old 03-07-2017, 12:34 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,377,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Try the search feature you are not the 1st one to ask the question.
See this thread it has some good info in it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...s-suburbs.html

Be prepared for hot HUMID weather in Philly compared to what you are used to. I am in Scottsdale now for the winter enjoying your beautiful weather. Also you are moving into the old section of the county be prepared for congestion, tolls on the roads and bridges, lack of HOV lanes, great food!
Yeah, but at least PHL is not a 110-degree blast furnace in the summer. Also, summer weather in PHL can be variable, although the super-hot/humid stretches seem longer and longer these days.

I don't know what "old section of the county" means? And tolls are a big issue? First time I've heard that as a major complaint about the area.

I agree with everyone who says $1000 is just not gonna cut it for anything decent.

(Native Philadelphian)

Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 AM

400 posts, read 422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yeah, but at least PHL is not a 110-degree blast furnace in the summer. Also, summer weather in PHL can be variable, although the super-hot/humid stretches seem longer and longer these days.

I don't know what "old section of the county" means? And tolls are a big issue? First time I've heard that as a major complaint about the area.

I agree with everyone who says $1000 is just not gonna cut it for anything decent.

(Native Philadelphian)
Not a complaint just a fact of life....

Old section means 1-2 lane roads vs 3-4 lane. Roads built to handle 1940-50's traffic not 2017. Yes tolls, PA Turnpike, tolls on bridges from Philly to NJ. Tolls in Delaware and New Jersey if you plan to travel anywhere.

After 2 months in Phoenix, AZ could not believe the road network, 5 lane highways with HOV, city streets 3 lanes, etc.NO TOLLS That is what happens when you have master planning in the 1990's, everything is new and well organized not so in the old northeast.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:00 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,377,672 times
Quote:

Old section means 1-2 lane roads vs 3-4 lane. Roads built to handle 1940-50's traffic not 2017. Yes tolls, PA Turnpike, tolls on bridges from Philly to NJ. Tolls in Delaware and New Jersey if you plan to travel anywhere.

After 2 months in Phoenix, AZ could not believe the road network, 5 lane highways with HOV, city streets 3 lanes, etc.NO TOLLS That is what happens when you have master planning in the 1990's, everything is new and well organized not so in the old northeast.
Well of course...when I lived in CA, the freeways were like 12 lanes, the main road I lived on was 8 lanes. But the traffic was way worse!

Guess it's good for the OP to know that if she plans to travel the PA Turnpike every day, she needs to factor in the tolls. Other than that, I don't think it's that big a deal. I just drove from the West to the East Coast of FL and had to stop about every two miles to pay a toll. Pain in the butt.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-10-2017 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: changed your he's to she's. OP is a woman. I think. mentions a husband.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,413 times
I am currently working near King Of Prussia but have a long commute. The area is wonderful for shopping and dining, you can find anything you need. Plus KoP is a nationally known Mall (I think the second largest in the country?). I know many people that live in the suburbs (Bucks County / Montgomery County) that attend college / classes in Philly. You will most likely commute via car or train. Expect a 45 minute drive one way from these counties. Right now I live in Newtown, Bucks county, which is a 45 min (on a good day) drive to the King of Prussia area. I am moving closer to work to be in Phoenixville, PA. You can probably find an OK two bedroom apartment for $1,000 - 1,100 in Phoenixville. I found a one bedroom downtown for $850. But, I bet there are apartment communities that suit your must haves. My commute will now be 10/15 mins to King of Prussia area (work), and if I wanted to go to Philly, about a 30 - 35 min drive.

May I also add that these counties are very accessible to the New Jersey Beaches! I like to go for day trips to Belmar in the summer, and that is also a 45-60 minute drive (from Bucks County).

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 03-09-2017, 10:08 PM

14,060 posts, read 8,932,332 times
Quote:

Highways are described by the number of lanes in both directions, not just one.

A typical rural freeway is a 4-lane highway (2 lanes in each direction).

A highway with one lane in each direction is a "two-lane highway" (which, btw, was the name of Pure Prairie League's second album; the title track was a minor hit, but not as big as "Amie" off the band's first album).

So your "5-lane highway" is a 10-laner. Add a two-lane HOV facility and you have 12 lanes. That's a monster freeway in my book, though I understand they're building them even wider in Atlanta right now.

Tolls are how long-distance superhighways were paid for prior to the Interstate Highway Act. But we've been so reluctant to raise the tax on motor fuel as cars have gotten more efficient that the fund those taxes feed can't handle all the work that needs to be done. A law passed about eight years ago allows four states to toll an Interstate highway for its maintenance or expansion. I-70 in Missouri is a likely candidate for one of those four slots. You gotta pay for the highway some way; I think it's actually better if you pay for it when you use it rather than when you gas up the car.

Planning is not a recent invention - certainly not that recent. Philadelphia's street grid with its five public squares (City Hall occupies the one in the center, where the two axes would otherwise intersect; because of this, you sometimes hear City Hall referred to as "Broad and Market") dates to its founding in 1682 and was laid out by William Penn's surveyor, Thomas Holme. It's the earliest example of town planning in the United States. James Oglethorpe's 1733 plan for Savannah, Ga., based on a 4-block by 4-block grid with a park interrupting the grid at its center, was brilliant in its modularity - just add more squares as the town grew.

Penn envisioned just a single house on each of the squares of the grid. Transportation technology at the time was such that this was highly impractical. Instead, houses were built next to each other at the grid's eastern end on the Delaware, and the city slowly expanded to the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia