U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:06 PM

10,789 posts, read 6,573,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAwesome View Post
U City will be the next downtown, but it is going to be awful. Outside of the actual college campuses - the giant buildings look great but interact with the street in such a generic or even hostile way. Ah well, it will bring in jobs which will be great.
Given that none of Schuylkill Yards, if this is what you are talking about, has been built yet we really have no idea how well balanced it will be. Current renderings of it are, obviously, just two dimensional drawings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 01:08 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,532,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
University City could be a secondary Downtown, or a part of Downtown together with Center City depending on how you look at it.

I think the only potential for another Downtown could realistically be around the Sports Complex. I feel like there is enough land down there. We could even call it "Downtown" Philadelphia. The Navy Yard itself will always be lowrise due to the flight paths out of PHL. The Sports Complex has room for highrise growth though.

We could have a highrise corridor built along North Broad between Center City and Temple University. This would similar to the Wilshire Corridor in Los Angeles.

If PHA moves the low income housing between Fairmount, Girard, Broad Street and the Regional Rail tracks, another "Downtown" could maybe be built there. Another Regional Rail stop could even be built there.

There could maybe be more highrises built around the Amtrak station in North Philadelphia, and along Broad Street through Temple Hospital and Broad and Erie.

Could maybe one day have more highrises in Germantown along Chelten Ave and Germantown Ave.

Lastly, could probably have more highrises along City Avenue between I-76 and St. Joe's campus split between the City and Bala Cynwyd.

Any other "Downtown's" will likely continue to form outside of the city, in Camden, Wilmington, Conshohocken, etc.
What city with increasing population and improving demographics are you mistaking for Philly? You and I won't live to see any of this happen.

And to exactly where is the PHA supposed to move the low income housing?

Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 PM

11,978 posts, read 11,256,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
What city with increasing population and improving demographics are you mistaking for Philly? You and I won't live to see any of this happen.

And to exactly where is the PHA supposed to move the low income housing?
Interspersed throughout neighborhoods, with the intent being more mixed income neighborhoods-instead of trying to concentrate and wall-off poverty into high rise buildings. It is already being done.

This is where the PHA Queen Lane Towers used to be near me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0260...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-02-2017, 08:18 PM

7,181 posts, read 6,250,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Interspersed throughout neighborhoods, with the intent being more mixed income neighborhoods-instead of trying to concentrate and wall-off poverty into high rise buildings. It is already being done.

This is where the PHA Queen Lane Towers used to be near me.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0260...7i13312!8i6656
Too bad PHA can't hire a decent architect, or get the suburban style yards and townhome ideas out of their poor planning minds.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:44 PM

8,247 posts, read 4,023,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Too bad PHA can't hire a decent architect, or get the suburban style yards and townhome ideas out of their poor planning minds.
Some of us more urbanist types got into a back-and-forth with an aide to City Council President Darrell Clarke on one of the Facebook groups where Philadelphians discuss urbanism.

According to the aide, those suburban-style twins and townhomes with yards are what the residents want.

And I don't know but that there's a nexus of contractors and architects who specialize in building subsidized housing (by "subsidized" here I'm referring to the cost of building a unit more than the rent or sale price). It certainly looks that way. Same cheap materials, same thrown-up construction.

The one exception to this rule to date is the row house development that replaced the MLK Plaza in Hawthorne. But even those have back yards and rear drive alleys.

Edited to add: Though after looking at what got built on Queen Lane, I'd say the design has improved a bit over the developments I had in mind. Not as substantial as the houses they face, but less cookie-cutter than what I was thinking of.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 PM

11,978 posts, read 11,256,761 times
Quote:
Ugh-I know. There is at least one block in South Philly that got it right

No need to fix something that is not broken.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9421...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-03-2017, 03:52 AM

8,247 posts, read 4,023,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Ugh-I know. There is at least one block in South Philly that got it right

No need to fix something that is not broken.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9421...7i13312!8i6656
That's the MLK Plaza replacement I mentioned above.

The exception to the rule.

Meanwhile, we're about to see a bunch of empty lots and homes in Sharswood be replaced by...nothing, 'cause the money to build anything beyond what's going up now won't be there. Yet the PHA went and took all that land anyway, choking off organic redevelopment that was working its way into the neighborhood.

What's not broken?

Old 04-03-2017, 06:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 5,862,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Meanwhile, we're about to see a bunch of empty lots and homes in Sharswood be replaced by...nothing, 'cause the money to build anything beyond what's going up now won't be there. Yet the PHA went and took all that land anyway, choking off organic redevelopment that was working its way into the neighborhood.

What's not broken?
How are no arrests being made in the incredibly corrupt PHA?

Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 AM

7,181 posts, read 6,250,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

What's not broken?
I guess I am stating the obvious, but I see that land grab as a political and almost racial/ demographic move... what PHA did and backed by the city was to ensure the area remains a ghetto forever, because gosh forbid wealthy white people move in.

Sharswood was about a decade away, but that area was next in line for redevelopment, and now it will forever be ruined, such a shame.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 5,862,042 times
Quote:
I guess I am stating the obvious, but I see that land grab as a political and almost racial/ demographic move... what PHA did and backed by the city was to ensure the area remains a ghetto forever, because gosh forbid wealthy white people move in.

Sharswood was about a decade away, but that area was next in line for redevelopment, and now it will forever be ruined, such a shame.
And that fat alley cat Clarke still dices up properties in his district to his friends to make money. I see it through my friend's business who operates in Clarke's district. These people are scumbags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia