Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That's the MLK Plaza replacement I mentioned above.

The exception to the rule.

Meanwhile, we're about to see a bunch of empty lots and homes in Sharswood be replaced by...nothing, 'cause the money to build anything beyond what's going up now won't be there. Yet the PHA went and took all that land anyway, choking off organic redevelopment that was working its way into the neighborhood.

What's not broken?
Ahh-ok didn't realize that was MLK. I meant no need to move away from the classic rowhomes in Philly. Why continue to have PHA developments so starkly different than what is already in a neighborhood. The homes on 13th show what can be built to best integrate and market homes to mixed income. The homes in East Falls also seem to be a success, though again the architecture is not very appealing. PHA itself and Government remain broken sadly. I'll have to read up more on Sharswood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 04:23 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
How are no arrests being made in the incredibly corrupt PHA?
I'm totally blanking on the name of the guy, not that long ago, who did get snagged for corruption.
MarketEl probably knows who I'm talking about.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
I don't think Philly has any downtown.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:19 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm totally blanking on the name of the guy, not that long ago, who did get snagged for corruption.
MarketEl probably knows who I'm talking about.
Carl Green

Old 04-04-2017, 09:56 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Carl Green
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times
Wilmington, DE.

Camden and Trenton too.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:48 PM

23 posts, read 35,985 times
Quote:
Given that none of Schuylkill Yards, if this is what you are talking about, has been built yet we really have no idea how well balanced it will be. Current renderings of it are, obviously, just two dimensional drawings.
I mean what has been build over the last 10 years. Hopefully this mythical Schuylkill yards comes to fruition in some form and interfaces better than what's just been put there.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:00 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Given that none of Schuylkill Yards, if this is what you are talking about, has been built yet we really have no idea how well balanced it will be. Current renderings of it are, obviously, just two dimensional drawings.
The drawings are awesome and it is a 20+year plan. But given the use of Air-rights over Rail Yards some other cities used over 30-year plans and ongoing. It adds to the downtown space with a clean slate. They might not have had otherwise.

We like to see results In a year or 2 max. But these are not them kind of projects with one high-rise or skyscraper.

I'm merely pointing out how the concept of building over large rail yards by air-rights. Is HIGHLY SUCESSFUL in cities that used it in some 20-30 year plans already. It is time for Philly too.

So I hope Philly does go through with your Schuylkill Yards plans.

I would just never see it as another downtown or even University city. CC flows one to the other. If something big was a few miles north or south? Perhaps. But that shows no signs of occurring yet?

Unless you feel it will steal development? That might have gone in more Eastern CC with skyscrapers? It really is worth the opportunity to happen. Its just the Schuylkill Yards are not in the heart of CC. For the maximum effect among most of CC's largest ones.

Another city that can't be named. Utilized their ugly rail yards in the heart of its downtown with huge successes seen today in their skyline. By results seen from plans started in the late 60s early 70s still ongoing and using the air-rights today in 2-sides of its core. Parkland also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAwesome View Post
I mean what has been build over the last 10 years. Hopefully this mythical Schuylkill yards comes to fruition in some form and interfaces better than what's just been put there.
Timing might me better today for it?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:21 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't think Philly has any downtown.
Don't get out much, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAwesome View Post
John Fry has a very good track record of following through on university-sponsored development; as I think I've noted elsewhere, he learned several very valuable lessons at Penn that he has gone on to apply, first at Franklin & Marshall, and now at Drexel. And as DavePA noted, this is a long-range plan. The real estate markets could tank again, but that would merely stretch out the time to completion.

BTW, Dave, if you want to say "Pittsburgh" here, feel free to. Contrary to what your fellow Western Pennsylvanian whose handle incorporates the area code for Manhattan and the Bronx says over on that other thread, we don't get butthurt when good things happen over there. In fact, our upcoming issue is going to have a feature that I believe will ask what they know in Pittsburgh that we don't. (I didn't write it, so I haven't read it yet as I wouldn't be in the production loop for it.)

But Center City and University City are already becoming one as development on both sides of the Schuylkill increasingly takes place next to it.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Don't get out much, do you?

John Fry has a very good track record of following through on university-sponsored development; as I think I've noted elsewhere, he learned several very valuable lessons at Penn that he has gone on to apply, first at Franklin & Marshall, and now at Drexel. And as DavePA noted, this is a long-range plan. The real estate markets could tank again, but that would merely stretch out the time to completion.

BTW, Dave, if you want to say "Pittsburgh" here, feel free to. Contrary to what your fellow Western Pennsylvanian whose handle incorporates the area code for Manhattan and the Bronx says over on that other thread, we don't get butthurt when good things happen over there. In fact, our upcoming issue is going to have a feature that I believe will ask what they know in Pittsburgh that we don't. (I didn't write it, so I haven't read it yet as I wouldn't be in the production loop for it.)

But Center City and University City are already becoming one as development on both sides of the Schuylkill increasingly takes place next to it.
I merely felt Pittsburgh needed a sided in a certain thread. I'm in eastern PA. 4 hours from Pittsburgh. But 2 1/2 from Philly. I'm much less familiar with western PA. I rarely post in Philly forums from being labeled. Only if it sways positive will I take a shot. Even that is rarely welcome and most won't reply.

You seem not to sugar-coat subjects and state opinion even if not totally positive or complementary and it is respected as a local. A non-local is easily a hater for a comment not totally complementary here.

Seeing the Schuylkill Yards mentioned and knowing of huge successes with using air-rights (in another city) over otherwise dead-space in a cities core. I see Philly should pursue it as nothing to lose once some results got seen.

I also must avoid mention of another city as having some examples Philly might use other then just NYC (fully a city whose example here is welcomed). That is especially true for over-rail beds developments too I'm sure. I also applaud a cap over the interstate 95 from CC to Columbus Blvd. But not the topic here.

Thanks for the civil reply though as I was totally positive too on mine.

Last edited by DavePa; 04-17-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia