U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2017, 06:16 PM
 
Location: In the heights
29,170 posts, read 28,224,898 times
Reputation: 15639

Advertisements

I'd think this area (Glenwood) is the best location for a second downtown.



It's where the Broad Street rapid transit line and two Regional Rail stations (even including Amtrak and potentially NJ Transit's Atlantic City line stop), coming and going from different directions, all meet and its location is actually closer to being the geographic center of Philadelphia than Center City is. The area has a lot of surface parking lots, vacant lots, brownfield sites, low-slung non-historic buildings, and potential decking over tracks if ever necessary for development. North Broad is seeing a lot of investment now and creating a high-rise district anchoring things probably would help a great deal. A top-down move to do so to any particularly massive extent would be politically very difficult though.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-31-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2017, 06:25 AM
 
6,210 posts, read 3,641,353 times
Reputation: 4416
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd think this area (Glenwood) is the best location for a second downtown.



It's where the Broad Street rapid transit line and two Regional Rail stations (even including Amtrak and potentially NJ Transit's Atlantic City line stop), coming and going from different directions, all meet and its location is actually closer to being the geographic center of Philadelphia than Center City is. The area has a lot of surface parking lots, vacant lots, brownfield sites, low-slung non-historic buildings, and potential decking over tracks if ever necessary for development. North Broad is seeing a lot of investment now and creating a high-rise district anchoring things probably would help a great deal. A top-down move to do so to any particularly massive extent would be politically very difficult though.
Yep, I think it was you I mentioned to before that the group that owns the Freedom Tower in NYC owns this area, and have already spent a few million dollars cleaning up some of the industrial wasteland that lies on the one side of the tracks.



Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2017, 10:49 AM
 
Location: In the heights
29,170 posts, read 28,224,898 times
Reputation: 15639
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yep, I think it was you I mentioned to before that the group that owns the Freedom Tower in NYC owns this area, and have already spent a few million dollars cleaning up some of the industrial wasteland that lies on the one side of the tracks.


Yea, it was you. I think this is a good, though unremarkable start. I hope the city becomes more aggressive about improving transit and development in the area and tries to get some more impressive architecture in the region.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2017, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
8,484 posts, read 4,172,155 times
Reputation: 5518
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, it was you. I think this is a good, though unremarkable start. I hope the city becomes more aggressive about improving transit and development in the area and tries to get some more impressive architecture in the region.
(emphasis added)

Not much the city can do in that regard.

Civic Design Review is merely advisory; if someone in effect flips the review panel the bird after getting its recommendations, the only thing it can do is register its objections the second time around and close the process. If the project is by right or has the needed variances, it can proceed after that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top