U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:11 AM

35 posts, read 31,826 times

Advertisements

Atlanta has Downton, Midtown, and Buckhead which got me thinking if there is a feasible way in which Philadelphia could have a second downtown. As Center City and University City fill out there could be more demand for office space in other areas. Maybe it would be in South Philly around the Navy Yard and Sports Arenas where there is a lot of land.

So do you think Philly could ever realistically start a second downtown?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 AM

1,531 posts, read 905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car0401 View Post
Atlanta has Downton, Midtown, and Buckhead which got me thinking if there is a feasible way in which Philadelphia could have a second downtown. As Center City and University City fill out there could be more demand for office space in other areas. Maybe it would be in South Philly around the Navy Yard and Sports Arenas where there is a lot of land.

The Navy Yard could be a good business district, but I couldn't see it being anything more then a 9-5, Monday to Friday kind of place. Its too far removed from everything else, and isn't really connected by SEPTA to the rest of the city very well.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:46 AM

10,789 posts, read 6,573,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The Navy Yard could be a good business district, but I couldn't see it being anything more then a 9-5, Monday to Friday kind of place. Its too far removed from everything else, and isn't really connected by SEPTA to the rest of the city very well.
If there was enough true interest, and money, to finally extend the BSL to the Navy Yard that could change. Not holding my breath though.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Good points. As for transport at least there is the 95 and 76 that could attract suburban commuters. Theres so much potential in that area, apartments could be built bordering FDR and theres plenty of space for skyscrapers. Development similar to the Pearl in Portland would give the area vibrancy and density

Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 AM

7,177 posts, read 6,250,703 times
Imagine if that wasteland of refineries weren't in South Philly, that could have been an entire city in itself!

Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 AM

8,700 posts, read 12,819,638 times
University City could be a secondary Downtown, or a part of Downtown together with Center City depending on how you look at it.

I think the only potential for another Downtown could realistically be around the Sports Complex. I feel like there is enough land down there. We could even call it "Downtown" Philadelphia. The Navy Yard itself will always be lowrise due to the flight paths out of PHL. The Sports Complex has room for highrise growth though.

We could have a highrise corridor built along North Broad between Center City and Temple University. This would similar to the Wilshire Corridor in Los Angeles.

If PHA moves the low income housing between Fairmount, Girard, Broad Street and the Regional Rail tracks, another "Downtown" could maybe be built there. Another Regional Rail stop could even be built there.

There could maybe be more highrises built around the Amtrak station in North Philadelphia, and along Broad Street through Temple Hospital and Broad and Erie.

Could maybe one day have more highrises in Germantown along Chelten Ave and Germantown Ave.

Lastly, could probably have more highrises along City Avenue between I-76 and St. Joe's campus split between the City and Bala Cynwyd.

Any other "Downtown's" will likely continue to form outside of the city, in Camden, Wilmington, Conshohocken, etc.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Im sure there will be more high rises around University City and I hope that there will continue to be more high rises being built in Callowhill/North of Vine area. The only reason I could possibly see the Sports Complex being developed into a downtown is because CC and University City are land prices keep rising. The Sports Complex offers a blank slate and probably easy zoning changes as well as cheap land prices. Plus who deosnt want to live in a highrise above the stadiums. Maybe one day when CC and UC are filled in

Old 03-07-2017, 12:00 PM

23,566 posts, read 29,800,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car0401 View Post

Are you suggesting that Philadelphia use Atlanta as an example? It's a city approximately the size of Raleigh with a giant metro.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 645,353 times
The flight path for PHL is a very good reason as to why the Navy Yard will likely never be high-rise. Hadn't thought of that.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:39 PM

10,789 posts, read 6,573,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Imagine if that wasteland of refineries weren't in South Philly, that could have been an entire city in itself!
It would take YEARS to develop anything there probably. Brown fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia