Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:31 PM

44 posts, read 34,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by narb06 View Post
Definitely check out lower merion school district. There are lots of international families who seem to be happy here. There is an IB program for high school available starting in 11th grade at Harriton (one of the two LM high schools). It's also a quick commute downtown.
I'll be watching this space. I think we're going to try and aim for Radnor. That said, we have to visit first but schooling the kids is our first priority.

Our biggest issue is that our daughter is 13, and 2 years would see her returning to Yr11 here, it is the second year of GCSE coursework. Besides the middle of 'A' levels 2 years later, it really is the worst time to move her.

She's high functioning now so I need to give as much opportunity as possible to excel without asking too much of her as she tries to get to grips with a completely different culture
Plop of dollop of drama queen on top and I think we're in for some fun times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 452 times
I understand your situation. We are planning to move are 7th grader to Philly this year too and to be very honest, it's been very hard to figure out the choices.

I found this link on the web that has the schools offering IB programs in Pennsylvania. Hope it helps

Complete List of IB Schools in the USA, by State

Old 08-16-2017, 02:08 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times
Cyber school does offer social events, but you may need to be proactive about taking your children to this and that, and looking for outside organizations that support activities too.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Unlike the UK, renters in the US don't pay real estate property taxes and PA does not have personal property taxes (for cars, boats, RVs and motorcycles). So you don't need to be concerned about high property taxes as it's already included in the rent unlike in the UK where tenants are responsible for Council tax in addition to the rent.

That's not really true. You may not get a separate bill for taxes, and insurance, but they certainly are built into the monthly rental rate. A landlord desires a annual return rate, or annual gross margin for the property, and treats taxes, and insurance just like any other Operating Expense for the property. Higher tax areas will cause rents to be higher.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:44 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
In the UK, you pay rent to the landlord and then the tenant is responsible for paying the property tax bill separately.

Therefore the rent quoted in the UK, excludes property tax, while in the US it includes the real estate property tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's not really true. You may not get a separate bill for taxes, and insurance, but they certainly are built into the monthly rental rate. A landlord desires a annual return rate, or annual gross margin for the property, and treats taxes, and insurance just like any other Operating Expense for the property. Higher tax areas will cause rents to be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: