Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 PM

7 posts, read 8,754 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have just landed a job in Bryn Mawr that is starting in a month. I am moving from Boston so I am accustomed to city living, however moving to the suburbs is a consideration. I am 24 and my girlfriend will be coming with me. My main considerations are my commute as I will be working 10-12 hour days, the wage tax as I will be making 75k, and something to do nights/weekends. I really liked Manayunk when I went through, however have been looking at places like Ardmore/Conshohocken to avoid the wage tax/provide better commute.

When are you moving? About a month. May 1st ish

Where are you coming from? Boston MA

Why are you moving? New job

Where will you be working? Bryn Mawr
Have you been here yet? I have been through the area

Will you buy or rent? Rent apartment

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Looking to spend about $1500

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA

Are you married or single? Do you have children? I have a girlfriend who will be coming with me

Do you prefer public or private schools? NA

Do you have pets? No

Do you want or need a yard? No

Are you keeping a car? I plan on getting a car

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? I am used to the city life and that is my go to, though I think I will be content if I can easily go into the city or if there are a couple of bars around. I don't think I take advantage of what the city has to offer currently.

What do you want to be closest to?
Train/SEPTA/Sub
Work
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
SOME sort of nightlife, even just a bars, restaurants

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? prefer people my age, young professionals, others NA

Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 05:52 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,900,355 times
Manayunk to Bryn Mawr is not bad. It's your best compromise between the urban core and inner suburbs, and I'd "brave" the 25-minute drive unless you really want to avoid the wage tax.

Alternatively, depending on where in Bryn Mawr you'll be working, you may want to consider living in Center City and taking the train. $1,500 is a little tight for a one-bedroom near Rittenhouse, but you can probably swing a less recently updated walkup.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM

151 posts, read 196,220 times
I'd recommend Manayunk over Ardmore or Conshohocken, but I'm biased because I live in/breath Manayunk since moving here a year ago and tell everyone to move here now.

I know the wage tax is an annoying tax to pay, however having a salaried job (at the time) I didn't really feel like it took that much out of my paycheck considering the many perks to city living. I lived in Narberth for a year before moving to Manayunk (and saved on the wage tax) and was so incredibly bored I couldn't wait to leave. Ardmore and Conshohocken have OK downtown strips but it's nothing compared to the atmosphere of the city, even the outlier neighborhoods. I now own a mobile business in Manayunk, with some clients in Lower Merion (Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Bala, etc.) and the commute is not bad even at rush hour (20-25 minutes max). You can definitely find many nice apartments for less than $1500 in Manayunk.

I would make the decision based on your greatest interests. If you're one to frequent bars restaurants and shops and enjoy walking around the neighborhood, biking/jogging on the trails, etc...a city neighborhood might be a better fit.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Well if you want a car, 1500 might be kind of tough if that's part of the 1500. If not, then Wynnefield and Wynnefield Heights might be reasonable. East Falls might be worth considering if you still want that car accessibility.

All those are in the city limits technically and not as dense Manayunk. For Manayunk, if you don't have a parking space for where you live or can't afford the parking space, don't have a car. From the east side/Manayunk side of the river, you'd basically need a car to commute to the West side of the river because public transportation can be difficult going across the river directly without taking a bus that is probably not that frequent.

Of course, there's Lyft or Uber, but that could end up being more than the cost of the car or value you'd get from using a car of your own instead.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,156,727 times
Can you elaborate on your statement that you don't take advantage of what the city has to offer currently? What do you like to do? Since your girlfriend is coming with you, what does she like to do?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:21 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytransplant13 View Post
I'd recommend Manayunk over Ardmore or Conshohocken, but I'm biased because I live in/breath Manayunk since moving here a year ago and tell everyone to move here now.

I know the wage tax is an annoying tax to pay, however having a salaried job (at the time) I didn't really feel like it took that much out of my paycheck considering the many perks to city living. I lived in Narberth for a year before moving to Manayunk (and saved on the wage tax) and was so incredibly bored I couldn't wait to leave. Ardmore and Conshohocken have OK downtown strips but it's nothing compared to the atmosphere of the city, even the outlier neighborhoods. I now own a mobile business in Manayunk, with some clients in Lower Merion (Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Bala, etc.) and the commute is not bad even at rush hour (20-25 minutes max). You can definitely find many nice apartments for less than $1500 in Manayunk.

I would make the decision based on your greatest interests. If you're one to frequent bars restaurants and shops and enjoy walking around the neighborhood, biking/jogging on the trails, etc...a city neighborhood might be a better fit.
OP, I would listen to this poster.

You don't want to be stuck living in Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, or Narberth if you are a young childless couple.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,754 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. So I'm taking away that Manayunk would be a much better living situation than the others. Is it right to assume the Ardmore/Bryn Mawr is mostly families? The Philly wage tax sucks but it may make sense to pay it. Does anybody have any insight on the difference of car insurance in either setting? I know a Philly address will be higher but is it extreme? Are there any other areas similar to Manayunk within short commuting distance?

Old 04-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Well if you want a car, 1500 might be kind of tough if that's part of the 1500. If not, then Wynnefield and Wynnefield Heights might be reasonable. East Falls might be worth considering if you still want that car accessibility.

All those are in the city limits technically and not as dense Manayunk. For Manayunk, if you don't have a parking space for where you live or can't afford the parking space, don't have a car. From the east side/Manayunk side of the river, you'd basically need a car to commute to the West side of the river because public transportation can be difficult going across the river directly without taking a bus that is probably not that frequent.

Of course, there's Lyft or Uber, but that could end up being more than the cost of the car or value you'd get from using a car of your own instead.
Regarding parking in Manayunk, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. If you have a permanent address in the parking district, you can get a permit which allows unlimited parking on streets like Cresson, Baker, Levering, etc. I never have problems unless I'm coming home after 9 pm, and I live right off Green Lane. Also, I know of at least one apartment building that provides a free space in the Green Lane lot (included in the rent). I'm sure others do that too (I think Canal House has it's own parking, might have to pay not sure). I can seriously say that I had a hard time parking in Ardmore on a weekend night moreso than Manayunk. There's plenty of cheap lots in Manayunk and options for renters.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian625 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. So I'm taking away that Manayunk would be a much better living situation than the others. Is it right to assume the Ardmore/Bryn Mawr is mostly families? The Philly wage tax sucks but it may make sense to pay it. Does anybody have any insight on the difference of car insurance in either setting? I know a Philly address will be higher but is it extreme? Are there any other areas similar to Manayunk within short commuting distance?
I think my car insurance jumped $10 when I moved from Narberth to Philly. I'm sure it depends on the zip code. Crime is relatively low in Manayunk/Roxborough compared to other neighborhoods.

Other area would be East Falls, a little south of Manayunk. Doesn't have as busling of a main strip and feels a bit more residential. I like to visit and the proximity to Kelly Drive and the trail is nice. It might add 5 minutes onto your commute, or it could be the same, depending on what route you take and at what time. It's tricky getting over the river at rush hour no matter what bridge you take.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,248,968 times
Just to be clear, EVERYBODY who works in Philadelphia pays the wage tax. It's more if you also live in the Philadelphia city limits, which includes Manayunk.

In your situation, lower wage tax outside the city might be counterbalanced by the cost of the commute, whether rail pass or monthly parking. Worth investigating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia