Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 6,331 times

Advertisements

Hi there - I am moving to Philadelphia for the summer, and will be living in the Rittenhouse Square area (near Spruce and S 16th). I envision taking SEPTA to work most days. This considered, what would you recommend in terms of parking? Ideally, I am hoping to find some blocks that are unrestricted (in case I go several consecutive days without using my car). As a heads-up, yes - I am willing to walk several blocks to/from my apartment in order to make this a reality. If anyone had insights in this regard, it would be greatly appreciated!

-Luke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 08:53 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,584,962 times
Do you absolutely need to have a car. It might be easier to Uber or Lyft. Or, when you do need one to use

Zipcar SEM | Zipcar

Old 04-08-2017, 09:41 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
21st/22nd/23rd in graduate hospital (south of south st.) are all free non metered parking. I almost didn't want to tell you because those spots come at a premium

Old 04-08-2017, 09:52 AM

151 posts, read 199,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
21st/22nd/23rd in graduate hospital (south of south st.) are all free non metered parking. I almost didn't want to tell you because those spots come at a premium
And good luck finding an open spot on these streets!

I would suggest ditching the car altogether. If you must have a car, getting a monthly pass at a lot or garage would likely be your best bet if you're moving your car often. The further out of center city, the cheaper the lot (typically speaking).

Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 AM

Also worth noting, you can't leave a non-permitted car on a city street for weeks and weeks. People will report it as abandoned, and it will get ticketed and towed.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytransplant13 View Post
Also worth noting, you can't leave a non-permitted car on a city street for weeks and weeks. People will report it as abandoned, and it will get ticketed and towed.
Thanks for the heads-up in this regard. Per the following link (http://http://www.phila.gov/philacod...Vehicles_.html), it appears as though the abandoned vehicle code would not apply to a functional vehicle that is parked legally and has current registration tags. Is that true? For what it's worth, I am likely going to have to drive to work roughly once per week - which means that I would move my vehicle at those junctures.

Last edited by luke.s; 04-08-2017 at 10:21 AM..

Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.s View Post
Hi there - I am moving to Philadelphia for the summer, and will be living in the Rittenhouse Square area (near Spruce and S 16th). I envision taking SEPTA to work most days. This considered, what would you recommend in terms of parking? Ideally, I am hoping to find some blocks that are unrestricted (in case I go several consecutive days without using my car). As a heads-up, yes - I am willing to walk several blocks to/from my apartment in order to make this a reality. If anyone had insights in this regard, it would be greatly appreciated!

-Luke
Are you working near Rittenhouse or another part of Center City? If, yes, just forget bringing your car. Use Septa, walk, uber or lyft.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Are you working near Rittenhouse or another part of Center City? If, yes, just forget bringing your car. Use Septa, walk, uber or lyft.
My work is actually in Broomall. In addition, I need to bring a car because my job requires traveling on occasion.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.s View Post
Thanks for the heads-up in this regard. Per the following link (http://http://www.phila.gov/philacod...Vehicles_.html), it appears as though the abandoned vehicle code would not apply to a functional vehicle that is parked legally and has current registration tags. Is that true? For what it's worth, I am likely going to have to drive to work roughly once per week - which means that I would move my vehicle at those junctures.
Correct, you can just leave your car in spots at un-metered for days even without a phila parking pass. However you won't be able to leave your car in the two hr parking spots during the marked hours for longer without having to move to a different block. I park on the street and live right in this area. It is doable if you are willing to circle around. Annoying yes, but I make due.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Correct, you can just leave your car in spots at un-metered for days even without a phila parking pass. However you won't be able to leave your car in the two hr parking spots during the marked hours for longer without having to move to a different block. I park on the street and live right in this area. It is doable if you are willing to circle around. Annoying yes, but I make due.
I wasn't aware of this. I've seen cars towed away that have been there for months, but maybe it's because inspection or tags expired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia