Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:24 PM

35 posts, read 57,336 times

Advertisements

Fellow Philadelphians,

We live in one of the greatest cities in America but we still have so many problem that other Northeastern cities don't. The gentrified and revitalized areas of Philadelphia are relatively small to the whole city. There are abandoned lots as close as a quarter mile from Center City in Poplar and West Poplar. There are still huge empty lots along North Broad just outside of Center City. This might be fine for a city like Cleveland or Indianapolis but we are in the fifth largest city in America and we are the ninth largest economy in the world. Meanwhile New York, DC, and Boston are cities where its hard to find an empty lot except in the very worst of neighborhoods.

I know Philadelphia is getting better and there is development that hasn't been seen in years. From Vine to Washington Philadelphia is a city that can rival DC, Boston and other booming cities but it seems like Philadelphia falls flat when you leave Center City, University City, and The River Wards. Do you think Philadelphia will ever have the same amount of great neighborhoods outside of the aforementioned areas that can match other cities in the northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM

151 posts, read 199,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car0401 View Post
Fellow Philadelphians,

We live in one of the greatest cities in America but we still have so many problem that other Northeastern cities don't. The gentrified and revitalized areas of Philadelphia are relatively small to the whole city. There are abandoned lots as close as a quarter mile from Center City in Poplar and West Poplar. There are still huge empty lots along North Broad just outside of Center City. This might be fine for a city like Cleveland or Indianapolis but we are in the fifth largest city in America and we are the ninth largest economy in the world. Meanwhile New York, DC, and Boston are cities where its hard to find an empty lot except in the very worst of neighborhoods.

I know Philadelphia is getting better and there is development that hasn't been seen in years. From Vine to Washington Philadelphia is a city that can rival DC, Boston and other booming cities but it seems like Philadelphia falls flat when you leave Center City, University City, and The River Wards. Do you think Philadelphia will ever have the same amount of great neighborhoods outside of the aforementioned areas that can match other cities in the northeast?
I'll only comment on things I know, which is that Philadelphia doesn't fall flat outside of three general areas. Vine to Washington, really? I would go as north as Girard Ave in most neighborhoods (Fairmount, Nolibs, Fishtown, etc.), and N. Broad Street's development is going to be huge. What about Passyunk Ave? That's below your limit of Washington Ave. How about the entire Northwest section of the city? Outside of maybe Germantown (not sure, never been there), the NW is a desireable place to be and the level of development speaks for it.

I love that Philly neighborhoods are unique, especially outside of the Center City square. I don't know much about DC and Boston, but I'm sure there's undesirable, crime ridden areas in those cities too. Philadelphia is significantly bigger in square mileage than both of those places, BTW.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:28 PM

35 posts, read 57,336 times
I was probably to strict with where the nice neighborhoods are because your right about Fairmount and there are other neighborhoods like Spruce Hill, Chestnut Hill Etc. I included the River Wards which are Northern Liberties, Fishtown, and Port Richmond. There are nice neighborhoods in Philadelphia but there is a far higher ratio of blighted neighborhoods to nice neighborhoods than there are in the other major northeastern cities and thats just a fact.

I'm not trying to say that Philadelphia is crappy, quite the contrary. I want Philadelphia to be the city it has the potential to be. I want to get peoples input about how possible it is that Philadelphia is going to revitalize its neighborhoods. For example Strawberry Mansion has some of the most beautiful architecture in North Philadelphia but its experiencing urban decay. How possible do you think it is that neighborhoods like Strawberry Mansion, Mantua, and Germantown will become will become revitalized so their unique urban fabric isn't lost?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:00 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car0401 View Post
I included the River Wards which are Northern Liberties, Fishtown, and Port Richmond.
... and Bridesburg.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
... and Bridesburg.
A lot of people forget about Bridesburg because it doesn't have flash or pizazz. But it is a stable, safe, middle-class community, which is something Philadelphia desperately needs more of.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:58 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Philly's in great shape actually, and, baring another major financial meltdown or something catastrophic specific to our city (i.e. Comcast up and leaves), in 10 - 20 years we will see:
- SOUTH: All of South Philly on both sides of Broad will be solid down to the stadiums (basically to DelCo).
- NORTH: North Philly will continue to fill in and should be good to go past "TempleTown" which is at least 15 blocks north of Girard. And this will be on both sides of Broad. Not to mention that Francisville will become more like Fairmount is today and North Broad proper will be a thriving with people, world class restaurants and bustling pubs.
- WEST: Drexel, Penn and businesses in general will continue to dominate eastern University City (probably finally linking UC and downtown proper. They will also continue their western expansion - slowly eating into the long-standing areas of poverty
- EAST: To the East, the Delaware waterfront will be unrecognizable in fewer than 10 years

Really, the only remaining areas of blight will be deep North and West Philly (now these will not be tiny areas by any stretch, but they will have virtually zero impact on the city proper). NOrtheast Philly will also continue its decline, but it's so cut off from the city proper it might as well be a suburb.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
I don't think it's fair to say Northeast Philly will continue its decline-some of the most stable neighborhoods are in NE Philly especially Fox Chase and further up in the Far Northeast. Frankford has loads of potential and great public transit/access. Other neighborhoods seem to be stabilizing somewhat and becoming immigrant havens like Oxford Circle Lawncrest Mayfair etc.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,622 times
I was going to come here and start a thread on an opinion piece I read this morning, but it seems to fit perfectly into this thread.

Chris Friend: Why Philly will always be a second-class city

He makes some good points, but I don't necessarily agree with everything he throws out. He compares Philly to Boston and generally blames the state of the city on the apathy of the residents and inept leadership. What do you all think?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I was going to come here and start a thread on an opinion piece I read this morning, but it seems to fit perfectly into this thread.

Chris Friend: Why Philly will always be a second-class city

He makes some good points, but I don't necessarily agree with everything he throws out. He compares Philly to Boston and generally blames the state of the city on the apathy of the residents and inept leadership. What do you all think?
I think I don't care to read the opinions of someone from Delco that takes tourists from London to Pats and Genos-and says it was the only thing that didn't disappoint. Lol laughably terrible.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I think I don't care to read the opinions of someone from Delco that takes tourists from London to Pats and Genos-and says it was the only thing that didn't disappoint. Lol laughably terrible.

Agree with you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia