Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:20 AM

252 posts, read 234,075 times

Advertisements

Arson suspected in Point Breeze as a fire destroyed new construction homes Monday am. What a shame. Now there's anti gentrification vandalism occurring in Northern Liberties. What are your viewpoints on gentrification?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
I'm sure I will get in trouble for this.

1) Its a losing battle.

2) Its based on racism toward white people.

3) Trying to "save" the neighborhood... do they prefer abandoned buildings and high crime instead of the white man?

4) Did they ever ponder on what the neighborhood was like before they moved in?

Last edited by cpomp; 05-02-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
...the occurrence in "Northern Liberties" was not in Northern Liberties at all, but rather in Olde Kensington (or South Kensington) north of Girard. The suspects were two white individuals, one was a 45 year old man from Doylestown.... Doylestown

Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
Arson suspected in Point Breeze as a fire destroyed new construction homes Monday am. What a shame. Now there's anti gentrification vandalism occurring in Northern Liberties. What are your viewpoints on gentrification?
I'm 100% for it. Always have been, always will be.

The gang in N. Liberties are part of some anarchist group. I assume most here know that the two who were caught looked like drug-addicted scumbags. Well, they do to me.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:24 AM

968 posts, read 1,140,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'm sure I will get in trouble for this, but...

1) Its a losing battle.

3) Trying to "save" their neighborhood... do they prefer abandoned buildings and high crime instead of the evil white man.

This is a view that is barely allowed to be spoken these days, but it is 100% correct. The issues of racism and sexism in America today are extremely one-sided. Speak the truth and you're called "racist". Don't be afraid of the word. I know what I am and don't need anybody else to tell me whether or not I'm racist.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I'm sure I will get in trouble for this, but...

1) Its a losing battle.

3) Trying to "save" their neighborhood... do they prefer abandoned buildings and high crime instead of the evil white man.

Ahhh, two of the people arrested for the NoLib "caper" were white. One of them a 45 year old man from Doylestown. The other was a woman from the Rhawnhurt section of the city. I have no info, yet, about the rest of this gang.

Gotten wonder why these two even care about gentrification.

So the truth is it's much more complicated than what you think it is.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I'm sure I will get in trouble for this.

1) Its a losing battle.

3) Trying to "save" the neighborhood... do they prefer abandoned buildings and high crime instead of the white man?

You are not even thinking about the possibility that some gentrifying developers are black, are you? There's such a black person who is partially responsible for some of the new non-PHA housing in Hawthorne. And there are black people who are living in and buying in gentrified areas. There are black people in Spring Garden, Fairmount and, of course Francisville.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 AM

288 posts, read 244,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You are not even thinking about the possibility that some gentrifying developers are black, are you? There's such a black person who is partially responsible for some of the new non-PHA housing in Hawthorne. And there are black people who are living in and buying in gentrified areas. There are black people in Spring Garden, Fairmount and, of course Francisville.
To everyone else - don't forget Asians!

I have seen some Black folks move in to some new construction units around Fishtown, so they are indeed in gentrifying areas. And none of those neighborhoods are going downhill (at least anytime soon).

Old 05-02-2017, 10:00 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
I have a black friend from Delaware who, ironically enough, signed a lease at 20th and Wharton last weekend. I haven't talked to him and pray his new place was alright. I don't really want to tell him about the arson.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Ahhh, two of the people arrested for the NoLib "caper" were white. One of them a 45 year old man from Doylestown. The other was a woman from the Rhawnhurt section of the city. I have no info, yet, about the rest of this gang.

Gotten wonder why these two even care about gentrification.

So the truth is it's much more complicated than what you think it is.
This doesn't detract from your observation, but I'd add that places like Doylestown (the Borough, not the Township) are experiencing a sort of petit gentrification, by which working and lower middle class whites are gradually being replaced by upper middle to lower upper class whites. Ditto places like Narberth and Jenkintown. The effect is somewhat more pronounced in places like Ambler and Media (and more so in Conshohocken, West Chester, and Phoenixville), which had more commerce, industry, and diversity (and therefore, minority populations to be thrown into the "gentle" replacement/displacement mix).

Of course, I doubt the Doylestowner thought about that during his vandalism spree.

I don't see gentrification as an unquestionable good or evil. It's a force of change that has pros and cons and comes in shades and degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia