U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 AM

438 posts, read 568,545 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. When I was in Philly a week ago, I wasn't there long enough to drive around and check out all the different areas. I hope to come back and do so before I actually move. I'm starting my search for places to rent in West Chester and Downington. I've been doing some research online and these areas seem to fit what I am looking for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The OP may have heard negative things from ex-Philadelphians who now live in FL and who have not been to Philly in decades.
I'm hearing negative comments both from people here in FL who moved from there and from people there in Philly who want to leave but can't for one reason or another. I listen to what people say and weigh it carefully against the facts. The 'grass is always greener' syndrome is powerful here in southeast Florida too. Lots of people hate it here and want to move, and many people are dying to move there because they think its paradise. The truth is that it is both Hell and Paradise...depending on what you're looking for

Old 05-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,540,320 times
We lived for years in Glen Mills, near the Delaware border. We moved to the Society Hill section of Philly and lived there for 4 years. I adored living in the city.

West Chester is a nice town and if you spend much time there, you will hear the expression 'Go in high and come out gay'. Only because the main road going north into West Chester is High Street. The main road coming out of West Chester is Gay Street. Just an inside joke.

We moved to Florida and have been here now for 4 years and I have found my forever place. If you can go into each move as an adventure, I think it works better for your frame of mind.

No place is perfect, just look for the positives. Most of the time they outweigh the negatives.

Philadelphia and the surrounding areas are so chock full of history, it will keep you busy for a long time exploring.

We go back to the area probably about once a year. Hubby's has family still in West Chester. We also go to Delaware to visit the friends we still stay in contact with.

Whenever we go into Philly I always stop and get a deli sandwich at Old Neilson's (spelling?) on the corner of 7th and Chestnut. Best ham and Swiss on rye. It's a good thing we did a lot of walking while living there

Enjoy your latest adventure!

Old 05-20-2017, 02:51 PM

10,789 posts, read 6,595,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
I'm hearing negative comments both from people here in FL who moved from there and from people there in Philly who want to leave but can't for one reason or another. I listen to what people say and weigh it carefully against the facts. The 'grass is always greener' syndrome is powerful here in southeast Florida too. Lots of people hate it here and want to move, and many people are dying to move there because they think its paradise. The truth is that it is both Hell and Paradise...depending on what you're looking for
Well, one thing Philly does get FL like humidity in the summer, if that's something you like.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well, one thing Philly does get FL like humidity in the summer, if that's something you like.
No, I don't like humidity. I always have the air conditioning on and it kills my electric bill but I can't help it. I like fall and winter and snow---not to the point where it becomes a nuisance, but...

Old 05-21-2017, 09:31 PM

237 posts, read 195,731 times
I have been scouting the FL threads as we hope to retire there from the Philadelphia area. But it's a hard decision. I am not leaving because I don't like PA! Have lived here 60 years and love it. I live on the other side of the city but have visited West Chester and Pottsville and most other areas at times. We love to ride all over the area to shop various farm markets and specialty shops. The area you are going to is very nice, and West Chester especially.

PA has 4 almost equal seasons but on the east side of the mountains here it's often less severe. More snow dumps to the western side of the state. You will be 2 hours to the NJ shore, Lancaster farm country can be a fun trip, as well as the Poconos. There is so much to do here. Kids are outside doing sports year round. Real estate is running up a bit right now and house sales seem to have taken off, but who knows what a year will bring? It's more expensive than FL overall. There are mostly 2-story homes here, not as many ranches. But you get a full basement and attic usually so tons of storage. I'm trying to downsize for the much less storage we expect to have in FL. Most yards are bigger here, but they only have to be mowed half the year. Not many HOA developments. Unless it's a condo or townhouse you can do what you want with the property. But I've never had anyone start a car repair business next to me! So many people I talk to in FL seem to think you need that HOA or your neighbors will go wild. It doesn't happen here. No roof rats either.

I like the PA countryside and all the many parks there are to hike. We hike most weekends in different parks. No dangerous wildlife. Just lots of deer. Tons of farms here too, so lots of fresh food in farm markets. Not as much seafood as you are used to. There is wide variety of housing available. Townhouses seem more plentiful here to me and you should be able to find one to rent fairly easy. It may even have 3 floors and a garage. I rather wish I could find a townhouse in FL but they seem to run to "villas" (little connected one story places). Many people in PA tend to fence in their yards and no one cares, unlike FL HOAs. Which is good for pets.

There is nothing terrible about PA, in fact it's a very pretty state and I have traveled over most of the country. FL, PA and CO are my favorites. Renting for a year while you look for a house is a good, and going into the school district you might want to keep the kids in is the best idea. It takes about a year I'm told to adjust to the colder weather. But you will! GL in your move!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post
I have been scouting the FL threads as we hope to retire there from the Philadelphia area. But it's a hard decision. I am not leaving because I don't like PA! Have lived here 60 years and love it. I live on the other side of the city but have visited West Chester and Pottsville and most other areas at times. We love to ride all over the area to shop various farm markets and specialty shops. The area you are going to is very nice, and West Chester especially.

PA has 4 almost equal seasons but on the east side of the mountains here it's often less severe. More snow dumps to the western side of the state. You will be 2 hours to the NJ shore, Lancaster farm country can be a fun trip, as well as the Poconos. There is so much to do here. Kids are outside doing sports year round. Real estate is running up a bit right now and house sales seem to have taken off, but who knows what a year will bring? It's more expensive than FL overall. There are mostly 2-story homes here, not as many ranches. But you get a full basement and attic usually so tons of storage. I'm trying to downsize for the much less storage we expect to have in FL. Most yards are bigger here, but they only have to be mowed half the year. Not many HOA developments. Unless it's a condo or townhouse you can do what you want with the property. But I've never had anyone start a car repair business next to me! So many people I talk to in FL seem to think you need that HOA or your neighbors will go wild. It doesn't happen here. No roof rats either.

I like the PA countryside and all the many parks there are to hike. We hike most weekends in different parks. No dangerous wildlife. Just lots of deer. Tons of farms here too, so lots of fresh food in farm markets. Not as much seafood as you are used to. There is wide variety of housing available. Townhouses seem more plentiful here to me and you should be able to find one to rent fairly easy. It may even have 3 floors and a garage. I rather wish I could find a townhouse in FL but they seem to run to "villas" (little connected one story places). Many people in PA tend to fence in their yards and no one cares, unlike FL HOAs. Which is good for pets.

There is nothing terrible about PA, in fact it's a very pretty state and I have traveled over most of the country. FL, PA and CO are my favorites. Renting for a year while you look for a house is a good, and going into the school district you might want to keep the kids in is the best idea. It takes about a year I'm told to adjust to the colder weather. But you will! GL in your move!
Thank you for sharing this. Much appreciated.

Where are you looking in Florida?

Old 05-26-2017, 11:41 AM

237 posts, read 195,731 times
SW coast, around Sarasota probably.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:34 PM

1,025 posts, read 999,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
I'm starting my search for places to rent in West Chester and Downington. I've been doing some research online and these areas seem to fit what I am looking for.
A suggestion: tell your realtor the school districts you are interested in, rather than the mailing address.

West Chester Area School District, e.g., includes parts of West Chester and also parts of Exton. Unionville/Chadds Ford School District -- one of the best in the state -- includes parts of West Chester, too, and also parts of the Kennett Square and Coatesville ZIP codes.
http://statisticalatlas.com/school-d...trict/Overview

Old 05-29-2017, 01:08 AM

5,023 posts, read 6,796,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla;48223427[B
]I'm hearing negative comments both from people here in FL who moved from there and from people there in Philly who want to leave but can't for one reason or another[/b]. I listen to what people say and weigh it carefully against the facts. The 'grass is always greener' syndrome is powerful here in southeast Florida too. Lots of people hate it here and want to move, and many people are dying to move there because they think its paradise. The truth is that it is both Hell and Paradise...depending on what you're looking for
I am really surprised to hear this. I grew up in the Phila. suburbs and I think it's the best hometown anywhere! Moved to FL full-time not because I didn't like Philly, but due to financial circumstances and physical issues that are exacerbated by cold weather. Here on the Gulf side, we don't have as many Philadelphians as SE FL, so it's a special bond when you do meet folks from Philly or hear that familiar accent. And I've NEVER heard any of them say a negative word about the city. Usually the only thing they don't miss about home is the cold weather....and even at that, Philly's climate is pretty moderate. So I'd be really curious as to what the ex-Philadelphians on your side of the coast are complaining about.

Last edited by Avalon08; 05-29-2017 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia