U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:42 PM

11 posts, read 12,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short, there isn't much that can be done.

Agreed. I believe none of the solutions proposed above will work. The best that can be done is to contain the problem, like an incurable disease.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM

57,923 posts, read 50,481,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlar2007 View Post
Agreed. I believe none of the solutions proposed above will work. The best that can be done is to contain the problem, like an incurable disease.
Containing racial tension has never helped anything. In some cases, riots have occurred.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:53 PM

1,794 posts, read 2,889,340 times
Sorry to say I don't envision a solution. People's behavior in "raising" children will continue to be mired in irresponsibility and ignorance: too many kids and no money with which to provide for them, absentee fathers, single mothers with no solid job or career prospects for the long haul, shortage of role models. These are all the ingredients for a huge kettle of failure regarding their children. I taught "youth-at-risk" for well over a decade and was the wide-eyed optimist for a time. I soon learned that no matter how much positive reinforcement in the form of cultural/artistic exposure, a magnitude of funds, a plethora learning/teaching modes and styles (with revision after revision after revision) that we throw at these lost, wayward kids, it all boils down to HOW THEY ARE RAISED from the outset. Sorry: but unless you've been there for the 15 years that I have and have given it all you've got, you really don't understand the irrevocable impact that heedless and inattentive parenting produces. It's really that simple.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 PM

57,923 posts, read 50,481,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Sorry to say I don't envision a solution. People's behavior in "raising" children will continue to be mired in irresponsibility and ignorance: too many kids and no money with which to provide for them, absentee fathers, single mothers with no solid job or career prospects for the long haul, shortage of role models. These are all the ingredients for a huge kettle of failure regarding their children. I taught "youth-at-risk" for well over a decade and was the wide-eyed optimist for a time. I soon learned that no matter how much positive reinforcement in the form of cultural/artistic exposure, a magnitude of funds, a plethora learning/teaching modes and styles (with revision after revision after revision) that we throw at these lost, wayward kids, it all boils down to HOW THEY ARE RAISED from the outset. Sorry: but unless you've been there for the 15 years that I have and have given it all you've got, you really don't understand the irrevocable impact that heedless and inattentive parenting produces. It's really that simple.
What does any of that have to do with racial tension(other than being taught to be a bigot via the parents)? This sounds alot more like "bad parenting = criminal behavior. Racial tensions have been in Philadelphia for over a century, criminal behavior or not. I thought we were talking about the long standing racial divides, not criminals.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:58 AM

8,220 posts, read 4,011,658 times
It's a little like the Tar Baby.

Unfortunately, because African-Americans are disproportionately poor, and because we have chosen to concentrate and isolate poorer African-Americans, race and poverty almost inevitably get intertwined in discussions like these.

I hope those of you who weighed in just above this post, throwing up your hands, read that article on the biology of poverty 1ondoner tipped me off to - it's called "Why Poverty is Like a Disease."

You may discover after reading it that a lot of behavior you may consider irrational or short-sighted makes sense given what they're facing. As I wrote above, they're like derivatives traders.

I could go off on a tear about how what we're reaping is the result of decades, generations, and more of bad policy driven by fear and prejudice, but won't because I'd be whistling into the wind.

As for those neighborhoods, I think you will be surprised at what you may see in the next several years. In fact, you're already beginning to see it now at Broad-Erie-Germantown and around North Philadelphia Station with several recent project announcements; the one at Broad-Erie-Germantown will be under way by late this year. I also had some interesting conversations about Sharswood at last night's Preservation Alliance awards gala; that story, which I broke but did not follow up on, has several more chapters yet to be written.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:58 AM

1,794 posts, read 2,889,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What does any of that have to do with racial tension(other than being taught to be a bigot via the parents)? This sounds alot more like "bad parenting = criminal behavior. Racial tensions have been in Philadelphia for over a century, criminal behavior or not. I thought we were talking about the long standing racial divides, not criminals.
Sounds like YOU'RE the bigot to assume youth-at-risk refers to particular races. We ORIGINALLY were talking about teen behavior in Philly, if I'm not mistaken. And if you don't think that bad parenting can indeed lead to criminal behavior, you're living on another planet. Happy reading ( I don't need to read it; I've been there. Get back to me when YOU can say the same) https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 06-08-2017, 07:22 AM

12,921 posts, read 29,858,462 times
Good discussion so far. Posts that are not within the TOS of this site will be deleted and infractions may be given. Here's the TOS reminder. //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

"Trolling" is prohibited.

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.
I understand that it's difficult to talk about the city by itself, and not part of the whole US problem with wealth inequality, but if we can keep circling back to Philadelphia, I'd appreciate that. Also any post that comes up with the equation that one race is good and another is bad will be considered racist.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia