Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,077 times

Advertisements

Our daughter, son-in-law, and 3 year old grandson are looking to buy their first home. Our son-in-law works for his Austin Texas firm from home, and daughter works for Solvay in their Bristol lab and UPENN collaborative lab. They moved from Austin last year and have been renting at Salem Harbor in Bensalem this first year. Location has allowed our daughter to commute to either lab via SEPTA which has been great. They would like to buy their first home and have decided to target the best school districts reasonably close to Bristol/train access. They are focused on Council Rock, Pennsbury, and Neshaminy school districts in Newtown, Yardley, Langhorne, and parts of Levitown that fall into those school districts (Falls Township, Tullytown Burough, and Middletown). I am helping them research houses since I have way more time now than they do. I am finding lots of track housing and foreclosures in Levittown, Fairless Hills areas which do not seem to be best for a young family. With a budget of 250,000 - 275,000 for 2 bedrooms, it seems like they are limited to looking at townhomes or condos in Yardley and Newtown. Are their areas of Yardley and Newtown that they need to avoid for safety reasons? Are they missing areas that would be more reasonable but safe with decent schools? Lastly, are there great rental developments in these areas for young families that may be more reasonable to consider than buying to be in a good school district. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:42 PM

149 posts, read 324,250 times
I can't speak for the rental opportunities, but you seem to be in the right location for access to SEPTA & Bristol. While Fairless Hills can be a bit hit or miss, there are still areas that should be OK for young families, especially within the Pennsbury SD. You don't, however, need to worry about safety in Yardley or Newtown because they pretty much don't exist, lol. However, the prices can get steep, even for smaller homes. I would also recommend looking into the Village Shires area in Holland (Northampton township). It's also in Council Rock and has a number of townhomes options that might be manageable.

How far is your daughter willing to commute? I might also recommend Horsham Twp. It is a little further away, but it's close to the turnpike so it's a relatively easy trip to Bristol. You also get a pretty good range of housing so they should definitely be able to find something in that price range (for example, we bought a 3br townhome below their range about 5 years ago). You're also close to 2 different train lines, which makes it a little easier (& I think they're quicker than the West Trenton & Trenton lines). It's also on par with Pennsbury as far as school districts go. So even though it's further out than Warminster (Centennial SD), Willow Grove (Upper Moreland SD) or Upper Southampton (Centennial SD), you get a better school district and better housing. But again, that's only if your daughter is willing to commute a little bit.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubyaustin View Post
Our daughter, son-in-law, and 3 year old grandson are looking to buy their first home. Our son-in-law works for his Austin Texas firm from home, and daughter works for Solvay in their Bristol lab and UPENN collaborative lab. They moved from Austin last year and have been renting at Salem Harbor in Bensalem this first year. Location has allowed our daughter to commute to either lab via SEPTA which has been great. They would like to buy their first home and have decided to target the best school districts reasonably close to Bristol/train access. They are focused on Council Rock, Pennsbury, and Neshaminy school districts in Newtown, Yardley, Langhorne, and parts of Levitown that fall into those school districts (Falls Township, Tullytown Burough, and Middletown). I am helping them research houses since I have way more time now than they do. I am finding lots of track housing and foreclosures in Levittown, Fairless Hills areas which do not seem to be best for a young family. With a budget of 250,000 - 275,000 for 2 bedrooms, it seems like they are limited to looking at townhomes or condos in Yardley and Newtown. Are their areas of Yardley and Newtown that they need to avoid for safety reasons? Are they missing areas that would be more reasonable but safe with decent schools? Lastly, are there great rental developments in these areas for young families that may be more reasonable to consider than buying to be in a good school district. Thanks for any advice!
Thank you, your reply is very helpful. We will take a look at the other areas as well.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:29 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,796 times
Levittown and Fairless Hills are fine for a young family as long as you are outside of Bristol Twp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia