U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 PM

23,567 posts, read 29,842,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I think the poster was joking around. Anyway, I think pan-fried scrapple would fit into that category.
Sort of. . .I was looking at food items that don't say Philadelphia to me. For the most part they looked like foods that you can get just about anywhere, at least regionally far beyond Philadelphia. Take scrapple, for instance, you can get it at least down through the Carolinas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:31 AM

8,285 posts, read 4,051,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Sort of. . .I was looking at food items that don't say Philadelphia to me. For the most part they looked like foods that you can get just about anywhere, at least regionally far beyond Philadelphia. Take scrapple, for instance, you can get it at least down through the Carolinas.
Shoot, you can get cheesesteaks almost anywhere in the country now, it seems.

I have a rule of thumb about such places:

Any place that says it serves "Philly steaks" doesn't.

There is a place in my hometown that I intend to test on my next visit, however: Grinders, a pub, bar and concert venue (indoor and outdoor) in the Crossroads Arts District, at the south edge of the downtown. (It has a popular First Friday open-galleries event that began about the same time that the one in Old City did here.)

When I ate there in 2014, the menu prominently featrued a section labeled "Original Philly" over an upside-down Liberty Bell; the menu went on to explain that theirs was "Voted Best Cheesesteak West of the Mississippi." (By whom, it didn't say.)

I wasn't feeling cheesesteaks at that lunch, so didn't test the claims. It's been long enough since then that the menu may have been completely revised, but that's a boast I think I still need to check out.

I did take home a bottle of their "Death Nectar" hot sauce. (I'm a hot sauce aficionado.) It's not that hot on the Scoville scale (though at 200,000, it's hot enough), but since pure capsicum oil is an ingredient, it delivers a jolt of pain at the end.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:10 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,683,048 times
Dutch Eating Place (in Reading Terminal Market) a f***ing fantastic breakfast for $9.00 including tip. Also Philly has the oldest Italian restaurant - Ralph's in the country (the previous oldest closed some years ago in San Francisco). Went there recently, and to my appreciation, not a damn tourist in sight.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:23 PM

23,567 posts, read 29,842,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Shoot, you can get cheesesteaks almost anywhere in the country now, it seems.

I have a rule of thumb about such places:

Any place that says it serves "Philly steaks" doesn't.

There is a place in my hometown that I intend to test on my next visit, however: Grinders, a pub, bar and concert venue (indoor and outdoor) in the Crossroads Arts District, at the south edge of the downtown. (It has a popular First Friday open-galleries event that began about the same time that the one in Old City did here.)

When I ate there in 2014, the menu prominently featrued a section labeled "Original Philly" over an upside-down Liberty Bell; the menu went on to explain that theirs was "Voted Best Cheesesteak West of the Mississippi." (By whom, it didn't say.)

I wasn't feeling cheesesteaks at that lunch, so didn't test the claims. It's been long enough since then that the menu may have been completely revised, but that's a boast I think I still need to check out.

I did take home a bottle of their "Death Nectar" hot sauce. (I'm a hot sauce aficionado.) It's not that hot on the Scoville scale (though at 200,000, it's hot enough), but since pure capsicum oil is an ingredient, it delivers a jolt of pain at the end.
Totally agree about anything called Philadelphia/Philly cheesesteak. There's also a fun factor involved with telling people to get a jar of cheese whiz.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:18 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,046,861 times
A couple things. First, the RTM has gotten ridiculously crowded, to the point where you can barely walk in there and it's difficult to sit down at a table without hovering over someone until they leave. If you are going to,go, I would recommend going before 11:30am. Second, Jims is probably the worst steak I ever had in Philly.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:24 AM

10,789 posts, read 6,593,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
A couple things. First, the RTM has gotten ridiculously crowded, to the point where you can barely walk in there and it's difficult to sit down at a table without hovering over someone until they leave. If you are going to,go, I would recommend going before 11:30am. Second, Jims is probably the worst steak I ever had in Philly.
Ah, no, that's a bit too late. For Dutch Eating Place, for breakfast, get there when it opens. Not so easy, I realize, if you're not a morning person.

At this point RTM is pretty famous in the country. It's obviously grown into a huge tourist trap.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:46 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,141,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Ah, no, that's a bit too late. For Dutch Eating Place, for breakfast, get there when it opens. Not so easy, I realize, if you're not a morning person.

At this point RTM is pretty famous in the country. It's obviously grown into a huge tourist trap.
Problem for me is, I love their bacon cheeseburgers and corn bites (or are they nuggets?) and they don't serve them until about eleven.
When I need a DiNic's, I can always get a seat a little after eleven. It IS getting ridiculous ... when I just go to shop, I get there between eight and nine and it's not too bad.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:58 AM

10,789 posts, read 6,593,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Problem for me is, I love their bacon cheeseburgers and corn bites (or are they nuggets?) and they don't serve them until about eleven.
When I need a DiNic's, I can always get a seat a little after eleven. It IS getting ridiculous ... when I just go to shop, I get there between eight and nine and it's not too bad.
It's been crazy in there for a long time. But, thank goodness, it still feels very Philly.

There was some story about Filbert St, next to RTM, getting closed to parking and traffic, cleaned up and better lighting for outside seating. I like that idea but have heard nothing else about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia