U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM

1,507 posts, read 998,775 times

Advertisements

When I go to lower Manhattan, I park in Staten Island and take the ferry across. Staten Island is mixed. Some parts are posh, some are not. It actually doesn't feel like New York. I'd say it's better than the other boroughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
In Philly? 2 million + people like it was before.

Ever been to Staten Island? Technically it's part of NYC but it not chock full of people.

Man, I wonder what you would have thought of Phila. in 70s-80s when things were really starting to fall apart wrt de-industrialization. And before the Center City District which has done, and still continues to do, a good job keeping, at least CC clean.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 02:07 PM

923 posts, read 574,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
What would be the optimal population of Philadelphia? Look at New York, for instance. The city is chocking full of people, traffic and garbage. Public facilities, including the airports, could do with major improvements.

With the current 1.6 million residents, I don't think the Philly caters well for it's current residents. Littering is an issue, the roads need a bit of work, it looks like violent crime is on the rise, etc etc.
Depends on what kind of people. The city could easily absorb another 500k as long as they are professional tax paying contributing members to society. In fact, that would actually help the problems you list above. We have plenty of room in neighborhoods that would be perfect fits for gentrification...

Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 PM

288 posts, read 177,669 times
Quote:
When I go to lower Manhattan, I park in Staten Island and take the ferry across. Staten Island is mixed. Some parts are posh, some are not. It actually doesn't feel like New York. I'd say it's better than the other boroughs.
I have never ever heard of anyone ever doing this to get to the city, nor ever EVER heard anyone say that SI is better than all the other boroughs. This is a first in my 30 years of life. I guess only a non-NYC person would ever say this lol. I don't mean to come off as a snobby jerk here, I'm just flabbergasted at what I have just read!

Old 05-30-2017, 03:24 PM

22,402 posts, read 34,169,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
I have never ever heard of anyone ever doing this to get to the city, nor ever EVER heard anyone say that SI is better than all the other boroughs. This is a first in my 30 years of life. I guess only a non-NYC person would ever say this lol. I don't mean to come off as a snobby jerk here, I'm just flabbergasted at what I have just read!

to be fair I do know some people that when going to into the city drive to the ferry park and ride into the city. But that might be someone from Philly or Jersey or obviously SI, cant imagine someone from BK would ever consider that

personally I prefer to drive to a PATH station and go in or drive in and park but have done the ferry before

as far as SI being the best place in NYC, not for me but am sure people do like it but do get your points

Old 05-30-2017, 03:33 PM

288 posts, read 177,669 times
If Anthony Bourdain ever does an episode in SI, then I will concede borough superiority to SI. There, it's written in stone lol

Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM

1,507 posts, read 998,775 times
Ha! There are a couple of parking lots next to the ferry and they get filled up fast so I don't think I'm the only person who drives to Staten Island and takes the ferry into lower Manhattan. The few times I've driven in Staten Island, I've driven through the residential areas and some parts are in many ways like mainline suburbs.

Which borough is better than SI? Manhattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post

Old 05-30-2017, 03:46 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,196,608 times
and thus the thread is hijacked ...

Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM

8,247 posts, read 4,026,750 times
Quote:
I think you're the first person I've ever heard utter the words "posh" and "Staten Island" in the same sentence.

New York's "forgotten borough" is its rough answer to Northeast Philadephia: a largely middle-class suburban expanse. It might have a few upscale pockets, like the Northeast does, and it does lack the Northeast's pockets of poverty, but on the whole, it's the most middle of the middle of the five boroughs.

I could see where people might want to drive to SI and take the ferry in if they're visiting: It's one of the cheapest cruises you can possibly take, and the approach to Manhattan is incomprarable because there's no other way to approach Lower Manhattan from outside it and have a view.

Now, back to the topic.

As a native of a city that is Western in geography but also older, I don't think it's quite right to characterize these other places as not actual cities because they spread all over creation. The rise of the automobile, like that of the other forms of transport that dominated before it, altered the way we built our cities.

However, it did alter them in a way that made them fundamentally less urban, and the urbanophiles, from Jane Jacobs on down, have been fighting a rear-guard action ever since. We seem to have gained an upper hand, at least for the moment, but we're still swimming upstream against some very strong currents.

Kansas City - and Los Angeles too - took their form just as the transformation was taking place (KC a little earlier than LA). It had pretty much run its course by the time Houston and Phoenix hit their growth spurts. I wouldn't so much look down my nose at them as feel sorry for what they lack. (And it's not congestion.)

Old 05-30-2017, 06:08 PM

377 posts, read 365,191 times
SI is posh, the best borough, and like the Main Line? Amazing.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:37 PM

5,546 posts, read 5,863,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

As a native of a city that is Western in geography but also older, I don't think it's quite right to characterize these other places as not actual cities because they spread all over creation. The rise of the automobile, like that of the other forms of transport that dominated before it, altered the way we built our cities.

However, it did alter them in a way that made them fundamentally less urban, and the urbanophiles, from Jane Jacobs on down, have been fighting a rear-guard action ever since. We seem to have gained an upper hand, at least for the moment, but we're still swimming upstream against some very strong currents.
Do you believe there is any relevance to a place being low density and characteristically non-neighborly? I believe that low density pushes people far enough apart to invite division and cause neighbors to lose touch. Both from a personal level and a societal level. An urban city puts us all more in touch with one another, both those who we would choose to be close with and those that we would not choose. Almost any worthwhile city I've ever visited has had a culture and layout that invites the opposite of low density.

People are social beings. They thrive on positive interactions, and they learn from negative ones (they learn from both obviously). We may seek an ideal, safe, quiet life, but we often tire of its slow pace and get bored. Philly is a much larger city in mostly every way, not that larger is better. But, Phoenix can't compare when it comes to CITY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia