Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:52 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,531,037 times

Advertisements

The only consolation is that Phoenix growth is mainly due to the growth of the city limits. Phila just needs to maintain a positive population growth as it had previously been losing residents for decades.

Unfortunately, the city has a long way to go going by the number of vacant lots or derelict buildings that are a reminder of it's glory days. I also doubt if the city can accommodate 2 million residents like in the 50's.

Philly slips from fifth to sixth, as Phoenix rises

Personally, I wouldn't live in Phoenix nor it's suburbs. It's hot, dry and bare (I've only been to Phoenix, the city once, but I spent a week in Sedona and Flagstaff). But neither would I live in the Philadelphia city limits due to congestion and high COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:07 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,472,506 times
An ugly strip mall city in the middle of the desert? Yeah, no thanks.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,838,067 times
This has been discussed so many times. Phoenix has density similar to the state of NJ. It's not even close to the size of a real urban city like Philly. Neither is Houston. For anyone looking to visit the largest cities in the US, it goes NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, DC/Boston/SF, etc.

Same thing as Jacksonville, FL. Which is larger, Jacksonville or Miami?

Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,689,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
The only consolation is that Phoenix growth is mainly due to the growth of the city limits. Phila just needs to maintain a positive population growth as it had previously been losing residents for decades.

Unfortunately, the city has a long way to go going by the number of vacant lots or derelict buildings that are a reminder of it's glory days. I also doubt if the city can accommodate 2 million residents like in the 50's.

Philly slips from fifth to sixth, as Phoenix rises

Personally, I wouldn't live in Phoenix nor it's suburbs. It's hot, dry and bare (I've only been to Phoenix, the city once, but I spent a week in Sedona and Flagstaff). But neither would I live in the Philadelphia city limits due to congestion and high COL.
Do you actually think you are saying anything we haven't been aware of for a long time? When Houston passed Philadelphia it was for very much the same reason: it could grow physically. One could say the same kind of thing happened here when Philadelphia county and Philadelphia(the original city) consolidated into one entity in 1854.

I've been to Tucson a couple of times. Food was okay but I found it pretty boring overall.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
This has been discussed so many times. Phoenix has density similar to the state of NJ. It's not even close to the size of a real urban city like Philly. Neither is Houston. For anyone looking to visit the largest cities in the US, it goes NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, DC/Boston/SF, etc.

Same thing as Jacksonville, FL. Which is larger, Jacksonville or Miami?
No one cares about how physically small SF is for instance.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 AM

4,411 posts, read 9,096,661 times
Strictly for weather reasons i prefer Phoenix. I have been there and i shall return. EVery fiber of my being is devoted to returning. But, Philly is a great city. the greatest city in Pennsylvania. I have to endure things for the moment here in lehizzle Foshizzle.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:25 AM

7,731 posts, read 5,458,122 times
Great illustration of the always expanding boundaries of Phoenix

http://media.philly.com/images/1200*...y_Phoenix3.gif

Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,838,067 times
^ Nice GIF TDP!

For the other side of the fence, check this thread out: //www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...-populous.html

Plenty of reasonable posts, but some real funny ones too:

"While we are not as packed in as Philly, that is still a little misleading. Phoenix has more city park space than any city in the country. IF you look at the biggest urban parks in the country, #1,3 and 10 are in Phoenix. South Mountain alone is 30 sq miles."

"That number also includes huge areas of raw land that Phoenix has annexed to avoid becoming landlocked. The developed areas of Phoenix maintain an almost constant density no matter how far out you go but they include tons of empty land in this 500sq mile number, I believe this includes all the way north to New River. Aka no mans land."

Old 05-30-2017, 12:11 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,531,037 times
What would be the optimal population of Philadelphia? Look at New York, for instance. The city is chocking full of people, traffic and garbage. Public facilities, including the airports, could do with major improvements.

With the current 1.6 million residents, I don't think the Philly caters well for it's current residents. Littering is an issue, the roads need a bit of work, it looks like violent crime is on the rise, etc etc.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
What would be the optimal population of Philadelphia? Look at New York, for instance. The city is chocking full of people, traffic and garbage. Public facilities, including the airports, could do with major improvements.

With the current 1.6 million residents, I don't think the Philly caters well for it's current residents. Littering is an issue, the roads need a bit of work, it looks like violent crime is on the rise, etc etc.
In Philly? 2 million + people like it was before.

Ever been to Staten Island? Technically it's part of NYC but it not chock full of people.

Man, I wonder what you would have thought of Phila. in 70s-80s when things were really starting to fall apart wrt de-industrialization. And before the Center City District which has done, and still continues to do, a good job keeping, at least CC clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia